My Unhappy Hermes Achievement

Jul 14, 2010
Edit:So during the summer I really wanted a Kelly but my Mum wouldn't let me have one because I'm "too young".
But through a lot of convincing, Mum gave me her black Togo 30 Birkin and Togo 32 Kelly.. And I was happy for awhile.. but then it hit me.. I have nothing else to strive for.
I thought I genuinely wanted an Hermes for the quality and craftsmanship, but maybe I just wanted it because it is the ultimate handbag.
I'm 18, and maybe I should have waited until I was 40 or something, or should have gotten it with my own money.
Now I'm over Hermes and looking for another Chanel bag to fill this void. Maybe I'm just being mopey but now I really understand the ladies who are happy because they bought it with their own hard work.
I don't know if I should give it back to my Mum. It just doesn't feel right. I can't explain. Maybe I just expected too much.

Could the bags just be "too mature" for where you are at the moment? Or do you need to use them more? Kellys & Birkins are not necessarily for everyone at every age. I broke two fingers and had to use a lighter-weight bag (a Goyard) for a while. When I went back my Hermes it was like coming home to an old friend. There are lots of members here though who like their Hermes, their Chanels, their Goyards, . . . and use them equally so think about it before you give them back to your Mum (unless she is wanting to regularly use the bags).

I think that it is b/w you and your mum, so whatever make you both happy is the right thing to do. But I am certain that if it is from the money earned by you, it will feel very different and more precious.

Well I got my first hermes at 19 I saved up for about half the bag and then my dad gave me the other half because I was very responsible and so on then 3 years later my now fiancée started getting me bags a few and I started buying my own and truthfully they all seem different but at the same time I have always worn my Hermes loving them and caring for them and adoring them but they are...... well........ bags! And with that in mind I wear them and enjoy them knowing that for me they are the most comfortable and good looking bags but I get it when some women love more ornate or highly designed bags for me the simple lines and ease of the natural leather are just sooooooo much better. I sujest you keep the bags they are a legacy my vintage black box Kelly was my grandmothers and I loovveeee it I adore it because it was hers yes it came way easier than my latest croc that I'm paying for but it's special for a whole other set of reasons I hope you can understand what I'm saying ,keep them enjoy them as bags and only bags special to you because you are lucky enough to be so young and have these beauties contrasting with your youth and sporty lifestyle and special to you because in the end convincing or not your mom loves you so much ghat she gave you the ultimate bag. Hope it helps darling birkel.

sometimes material things mean so much when we dont have them and then once you do they really arent so great as we imagined. its just a leather handbag after all. they have become known and are widely available to some degree. that being said. put them in the closet carry something else and see how you feel in 6 months!

I can understand that feeling. It's always nicer to own something KNOWING you truly earned it. Gifts are nice, but being able to say you worked hard for something you love is a great feeling.

Perhaps give the bags back to your mom temporarily, and buy a purse that's more suitable for an 18 year old. I'm sure when you are ready for H again, your mom will still be willing to share. I'm 22 and while I love Hermes I can't imagine myself walking around my school's campus with a $10k purse. I would just look terribly out of place with something like that.

I'd keep the Kelly and Birkin. Just think, you are now free to buy Chanels and all the other brands that appeal to you NOW; then when you are ready to start wearing Hermes, you've already got the most iconic and coveted bags, no waiting lists, no games. Plus, they were a gift from your mother, which is reason enough to treasure them. Buy and wear what you enjoy, whether it's a trendy "it" bag, a poorly made but cute bag, or a super well made and expensive H bag :flowers:

London - not sure what we are responding to here. If it is if you should keep the bags or return them to your mother, then , from what you posted, I'd advise to return them to your mother. She was right when she said you are too young for them. At the end of the day, tho , it is all about what you are comfortable with and if the bags fit into where you are in your life. Best wishes.

London - not sure what we are responding to here. If it is if you should keep the bags or return them to your mother, then , from what you posted, I'd advise to return them to your mother. She was right when she said you are too young for them. At the end of the day, tho , it is all about what you are comfortable with and if the bags fit into where you are in your life. Best wishes.

Vicky took the words from my mouth !! ITA !!!

I get this questions too from mommys with teenage daughters.... Mommy wants her daughter to carry a birkin too but daughter thinks birkins are too old.

Perhaps it's the colour... People who already have birkins strive for the newest colour, special order pieces and rare skins like chevre, lizard and crocodile. Plus there is the new club birkin is aimed at younger generation.

But that said, channel is the preferred bag among many younger women as it's easier to obtain, very recognizable and hip. Good luck with your choices.

Edit:So during the summer I really wanted a Kelly but my Mum wouldn't let me have one because I'm "too young".
But through a lot of convincing, Mum gave me her black Togo 30 Birkin and Togo 32 Kelly.. And I was happy for awhile.. but then it hit me.. I have nothing else to strive for.
I thought I genuinely wanted an Hermes for the quality and craftsmanship, but maybe I just wanted it because it is the ultimate handbag.
I'm 18, and maybe I should have waited until I was 40 or something, or should have gotten it with my own money.
Now I'm over Hermes and looking for another Chanel bag to fill this void. Maybe I'm just being mopey but now I really understand the ladies who are happy because they bought it with their own hard work.
I don't know if I should give it back to my Mum. It just doesn't feel right. I can't explain. Maybe I just expected too much.

You have a wise mother! She knows you well and was sweet enough to let you use hers rather than pine for something (and spend a lot of $$$ on) that ultimately wasn't right for you. It's a lesson learned, and be grateful that the lesson didn't cost you anything!

I get this questions too from mommys with teenage daughters.... Mommy wants her daughter to carry a birkin too but daughter thinks birkins are too old.

Perhaps it's the colour... People who already have birkins strive for the newest colour, special order pieces and rare skins like chevre, lizard and crocodile. Plus there is the new club birkin is aimed at younger generation.

But that said, channel is the preferred bag among many younger women as it's easier to obtain, very recognizable and hip. Good luck with your choices.

These are good points. A Black Birkin at your age may be a bit too much. A pop of colour would look cooler although they are not the easiest bags for hanging out with. Maybe you need to start your journey to "end" at Hermes rather than "start" with it. Experiment with other brands and styles, like Chanel, as you need to learn what fits you. You may end up back where you started i.e Hermes, but the process will have been more satisfying and you would have found your own style in the process.

Hope it works out well for you :smile:

Try paying it yourself using the money you actually earn from having a job. You will enjoy it more. I am not saying this to be mean, but seriously, you will appreciate things you worked hard for more than things you come across so easily.

There have been a number of threads on the “is it appropriate for a young gal “ to sport birkins or kellys etc and all those threads ended up with peeps slinging righteous opinions at one an other. I am getting the vibe that this thread will meet the same end. Perhaps we should quit while we are ahead?