My togo grew into a clemence?

Princess D

O.G.
Jun 12, 2006
Or am I imagining things?
My BJ birkin was sent off for repair as the seal on the handle broke. Mine was a new bag that was carried for less than 10 times maybe. After being in Paris for 5 months, I got a call informing me that my bag can't be fixed and H decided to give me a new one. I was overly excited and went to pick up the bag this afternoon. Hubby and I both thought that the colour looks abit darker than my old one and it just looks abit different. I notice the bag seem more floopy and the handles seem "thicker" (can that even happen?) So here are the before and after pics for experts to hopefully let me know if my BJ birkin grew into a Clemence birkin. Will H even do that without informing me? They told me it's the same birkin. Not that I mind Clemence, but I remember seeing bags that won't stand on themselves, is that true? The colour seems deeper and nice though. Anyway, I'm still LOVING it! And most importantly, Hermes service is really superb!

The pic of the birkin in the cafe is my old togo.
The other 2 on the sofa is the new one I got today. Is that still togo?

Attachments

• BJ birkin 2.jpg
    BJ birkin 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 773
  • BJ birkin 3.jpg
    BJ birkin 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 588
  • BJ birkin 1.jpg
    BJ birkin 1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 741
^^Recent Togo leather can be a floppy. I have an orange Birkin in Togo and the leather is a bit floppy compared to my BJ Birkin in Togo that I bought a few years ago.

The third photo also looks like togo based on the lovely veining I'm seeing. It's a gorgeous bag, and I'm glad H was able to provide a replacement. I hope experts out there can help you better regarding the leather.

Okay, so here is the BJ clemence next to my vert anis togo.

My clemence is floopy droopy. It won't stand on own at all.

Attachments

• DSC04365.JPG
    DSC04365.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
The new one does look like Clemence...maybe they are just making blue jean in Clemence right now (H does seem to do things in batches) and they wanted to get you a replacement..

can you take a pic of the new bag in the same light as the old one?

I wouldn't base togo vs clemence just on veining though, I have had several togo Birkins that were completely veinless...

The floopiness, now that is a sign of clemence, although someone mentioned togo has gotten floopier recently.

But the handles are thicker??????? What's up with that?

And what's up with the poor quality control? A new Birkin that can't be repaired?

my togo is pretty sloppy, definitely doesn't stand like pic 3.... most of the time, more like pic 1 and 2. I don't use it often.

i bought my bag in may

Last edited:
The first two pics look like Taurillon Clémence, but maybe a close up picture could help. As a general and approximate rule, you can tell not only because of the way the bag stands by himself, but also because of the slightly flatter grain, becoming even flatter, almost grainless where the leather is more stretched, like on corners and handles.

I am 100% sure that the third picture is Togo. It stands in a different, more rigid way, and also the grain is more "bumpy" and the vertical lines are typical of Togo (even if sometimes you find togo pieces without those vertical veins)

Yes, it is true that some Togo bags end up being more floopy than the usual way we are used to see them stand up, but Taurillon Clémence is going to be even floopier. Your new bag is super gorgeous though, so except if you really are concerned about the floopy factor I would keep it.

For what is regarding thicker handles, yes, this is possible. Birkins are hand made there may be some differences from one piece to another, and on top of that some hides may be slightly thicker. I have personally found such small differences in some of my H bags.

Please also keep in mind that leather is a natural material, there may be some slight differences in the way colour pigments penetrate one hide compared to another of the same leather, and one hide may be softer than another.

Last edited: