My togo grew into a clemence?

The first two pics look like Taurillon Clémence, but maybe a close up picture could help. As a general and approximate rule, you can tell not only because of the way the bag stands by himself, but also because of the slightly flatter grain, becoming even flatter, almost grainless where the leather is more stretched, like on corners and handles.

I am 100% sure that the third picture is Togo. It stands in a different, more rigid way, and also the grain is more "bumpy" and the vertical lines are typical of Togo (even if sometimes you find togo pieces without those vertical veins)

Yes, it is true that some Togo bags end up being more floopy than the usual way we are used to see them stand up, but Taurillon Clémence is going to be even floopier. Your new bag is super gorgeous though, so except if you really are concerned about the floopy factor I would keep it.

For what is regarding thicker handles, yes, this is possible. Birkins are hand made there may be some differences from one piece to another, and on top of that some hides may be slightly thicker. I have personally found such small differences in some of my H bags.

Please also keep in mind that leather is a natural material, there may be some slight differences in the way colour pigments penetrate one hide compared to another of the same leather, and one hide may be softer than another.

Couldn't have said it better.

Or am I imagining things?
My BJ birkin was sent off for repair as the seal on the handle broke. Mine was a new bag that was carried for less than 10 times maybe. After being in Paris for 5 months, I got a call informing me that my bag can't be fixed and H decided to give me a new one. I was overly excited and went to pick up the bag this afternoon. Hubby and I both thought that the colour looks abit darker than my old one and it just looks abit different. I notice the bag seem more floopy and the handles seem "thicker" (can that even happen?) So here are the before and after pics for experts to hopefully let me know if my BJ birkin grew into a Clemence birkin. Will H even do that without informing me? They told me it's the same birkin. Not that I mind Clemence, but I remember seeing bags that won't stand on themselves, is that true? The colour seems deeper and nice though. Anyway, I'm still LOVING it! And most importantly, Hermes service is really superb!

The pic of the birkin in the cafe is my old togo.
The other 2 on the sofa is the new one I got today. Is that still togo?

D love, so happy to see the BJ baby back to u ... if u not sure, go back to the store and reconfirm again. I just pick up another small H item as well. LOL ... they indeed the best!! :yahoo:

Thanks for the input. I've attached a closer pic of the new bag. The colour of the new bag is less pale (I didn't give them the clochette when I sent the bag for repair and when I compared, the colour is definitely different) I'll go back to exchange for the new matching clochette though. I love the new bag even better and will keep it. Have been thinking about getting a clemence bag for sometime. Maybe my next should be a togo then :P But do they do it? Give me a replacement bag of another leather? They should have asked if I needed another color.. haha

Attachments

• BJ close up.jpg
    BJ close up.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 244
the important thing is that you love this new replacement bag! it sure looks pretty to me~~

getting a togo one for your next purchase sounds like a very very sensible idea :graucho:

I also feel that your new bag might be a Clemence, I was offered a BDP Clemence before my BDP Togo, so I had a chance to see both.
And Clemence takes color better, so a color will appear to be darker/more intense on clemence than togo, which I think makes a bag even prettier :smile:

Trama turgo is spot on--
Can you do a few close ups of different areas of the bag? The one above is not enough (for me anyway). Does it smell like your old bag?

The most important thing is that you are happy with your replacement. But, in my honest opinion. your new bag is Clemence. I would prefer to see close ups of the leather. Your old bag was definitely Togo.

The new bag is definitely Clemence.

What you need to decide is that whether it matter enough to you to bother to have it switched again, which would mean months more without your bag.

I would take the new one. I think it is gorgeous.

I am in no way, shape or form, even remotely an H expert, but after my last couple weeks of research, it looks like clemence to me. Whatever it is though, it is stunning! A BJ Birkin's next on my hit list! It's so beautiful...congrats!

For sure it's togo. yours look just the same as mine.

Sorry, the pic I looked was the one (the one on the right, the ''old'' one, right?), so the old one look like mine togo one. sorry for not look more carefully.

But honestly I agree with other that BJ in clemence even more blue than togo.

I was in the store in the early part of this year I was very confused too. I had the chance to look the two kelly in ciel, the 28 is in togo the 35 is in clemence. really, I could not tell there were much differences between the two. I chose the 28 togo due to the size. I took a pic at the store just for fun with my DD.

The new togo really look very close to the clemence.

Attachments

• DSC02490.JPG
    DSC02490.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 198
Togo can be floppy as well. Also variations in the dye lots can show differences in BJ togo also. Very rarely will the batches look exactly the same.

The best way to determine whether your bag is clemence or togo is to close your eyes and "feel" the bag. Clemence is NOTABLY softer to the touch, regardless of veining, pebbling, color, etc. Togo can also have slight "wings" at the bottom of the bag, so that is not a good way to determine. Togo will feel more "stiff" to the touch whereby the pebbles will really stand out a bit more. Clemence will feel like a baby's bottom. Sorry, not the best way to describe, but honestly, just looking at togo vs. clemence is not always the easiest to determine. Touching and SMELLING are the best. Togo has a smell unlike other leathers. I have no idea how to describe that to you though!!

Regardless, the bag is lovely. BJ is such a classic. Glad you finally got a bag to use after so many months!!

Thanks everyone. After seeing all the replies and looking at the bag again, I think it's Clemence. It doesn't have the smell of togo, as others say I dunno how to describe but when some lovely lady mentioned about "smell" in the thread, that smell just some to me, but that smell is not on my new bag. Also the flap part is noticeably softer, I could tell the difference when I tried to put back the "face mask" for the bag when I put it back into the box. I love the bag and will not ask for a togo replacement. But do I need to ask my SA, just out of curiosity? I mean, it's sent from Paris and they should know their leather? Or do my store just made the decision to give me one of their new arrival bags?