My Sofia: Multi Gold and Tan Body?

NagaJolokia

Living Hard
Nov 25, 2008
Here are the production pics that Maria sent me. The main body that's supposed to be in multi gold and tan (no. 205) looks so different from the swatch pic online, but I hope its mostly the pic. It's not bad, but certainly not at all what I had pictured from the swatch image. Has anyone had the multi-gold and tan (no. 205), and if so, can they please share their take on the differences?

By the way, the panels, drawstring, and straps are all in dark gold with streaks, which looks like just chocolate brown in the first photo, but you can see that it should be the dark gold with streaks in the second pic even though it's largely misrepresented by the photo.

Sofia_Front-1.jpg

Sofia_Inside-1.jpg

Compare the first pic to the swatch below and you'll see the huge difference.

Link to no. 205 multi gold and tan swatch: http://www.ignesbags.com/images/leather_catalogue/img_41.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen it irl, but I do know that cowhair varies widely in patterns due to the nature of the material. I think more QC should be done to keep the patterns looking the same, but I would just email Maria if it bothers you.

Thank you, lionlaw, for your response. While I do know of differences in patterns of material and off-representations in photos (that are not over the top), I didn't even recognize the bag at all when I saw the e-mail pics. I zoomed up close in the Windows and Fax Viewer and could not see any of the pattern in the no. 205 swatch, just spotty gold on gold- with hairs that didn't show up one bit in the swatch.

:>( I feel awkward about this as I have a unique engraving on it, and Maria had told me about people abusing their previous free return shipping policy so that they no longer have it. I will e-mail her about it and hope that there's some way around returning it, like another solution.

You prefer the patchier look? The striping is nice, though? I like the bag! Hope it's okay when you get it.

Well, I very much prefer the look in the swatch, lol. It's patchier but it's also got a very defined metallic multi-tan with gold specks sharply outlined in dark brown and is in a very puddly, uneven design, and as a contrast, there's a multi-gold that's also sparkly outside of the dark brown outline. I don't see any of this on the body of the Sofia of mine. It's very, very different. It looks only like spotty gold on gold with streaks of brown hair.

I do like the striping as it does look quite cool and not like the typical zebra stripes which I wouldn't go for; however, it's not what I requested or saw that I had requested.

Last edited:
I find that the production photos aren't spot on and even when you zoom in, the quality of the photos aren't the best to look at detail. Keep in mind too that the lighting is harsh on the front of the bag, so the colors may be washed out by that too. You may find that IRL, the hairs are "outlined" as was shown in the swatch. I do like the striping though!

^ Yes, I understand the photography, but does the swatch image even have hairs? It looks only like metallic multi-tan with gold specks that's outlined, not hairs.

This leather does have hair. It is in the color reference sticky
http://forum.purseblog.com/ignes-re...rs-swatches-pics-only-357424.html#post7951917

I guess I'm going to be the dissenting voice, because I do think it looks like the swatch. Just from a swatch you can't tell what a pattern looks like as a whole.

I'm sorry it's not what you had hoped .... after the long wait, i can imagine the disappontment!

I agree. It looks like the swatch, which does have hair... I was confused at first w/ the question, but this is a hairy (lol) leather. Were you maybe thinking you ordered the dark gold w/ streaks on the body instead?

I'm sorry it was not what you envisioned either though.

Ahh! I get it now! The issue here is that you didn't realize the swatch was a leather with hair?... I think I just assumed that you knew that it did...and I'm sorry that it's not what you envisioned. I have a swatch of their hair-leather and it is quite nice!

Oh, okay. Me too. Clear now. You didn't know it was a hair swatch. Ouch. I did know it was hairy but can imagine the shock. I still think it's beautiful.

No, elizat, please look at the link provided in the bottom of my first post. I had ordered that which is labelled as no. 205 multi gold and tan on the Ignes site in their summer catalogue. I wonder why that looks so different from the swatch in sillykitty's post and the bag. It's bizarre. Here is what I had ordered again. Look for the no. 205 and compare: http://www.ignesbags.com/index_2.php?get=handbags/leather_catalogue

Thanks for the pics, sillykitty, as the body of the bag definitely does look like that swatch in your link, but I was looking at another photo that was labelled as no. 205 multi- gold and tan on the Ignes site, and it looks nothing like that swatch and the body of the Sofia.

Last edited:
Here is the swatch from Ignes- I had to look a couple times to find it w/ all the different leathers.

I think the lighting is different and the swatch on their site is super, duper up close. I can tell it has hair, but it should have been noted.

I think see what can be done though. It is not noted as a leather w/ hair on the site and w/ a close up photo, perhaps it might not look like it has hair, depending on your computer monitor.

I'm sorry you aren't happy though.

Attachments

• img_41.jpg
    img_41.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 75
  • lookbook022.jpg
    lookbook022.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
To me, no matter how many times I scrutinize the image on their site at my work computer, laptop comuter, or my SO's computer, it appears like metallic multi tan with gold specks that's outlined in brown, not at all brown hairs- assuming that that's what the metallic and sparkly multi-tan look in the image actually is.
\Elizat, you may be right in that the image on the site might be one that's very zoomed in.

I wouldn't mind hairs, like sparse short hairs all over but still allowing the metallic leather underneath show through extremely well, but I had no idea whatsoever that the pattern itself would be the hairs in streaks.

If this image is the same leather in sillykitty's provided link, then I'll leave it be. I'm sure I'll find *something* to do with it.

Last edited: