My Senior Kitty Has Diabetes

I don't think Cindi was trying to be "mean" about it. There are many of us on this board that have dealt with serious, chronic illnesses. When you first get the news from the vet, it is devastating and life-changing. It is up to you to decide if it is an insurmountable obstacle, or an inconvenience for the last few years of your furry buddy's life.

If you are willing and able to explore the options available to YOUR situation, you can usually find a way to make things work. Yes, you will give up a lot of fun stuff, but in return, you get the unconditional love from your friend. Sadly, these are usually short-term situations, but I've found the extra time to be worth the price paid.

There will be times when you flat-out can't do anything for your pet, and need to consider whether you should send him across the bridge, or find someone that can care for him. I've always called it the fine print in the adoption contract. We tend to gloss over the ending of the story in the excitement of bringing home a new family member.

Talk to your vet about petsitting/boarding with people that know how to manage a diabetic animal. There may be someone at the clinic that can come in to take care of them, or you may be better boarding the cat at the clinic for longer trips away.

If you can get the insulin management under control, you may still be able to work the longer shifts without causing problems for your cat.

Really, everything comes down to you and what you and the lady in the mirror decide. I hope you can find a way to turn the diabetes into another PITA that comes around in life and enjoy the last few years of your kitty's life. :hugs:

Have you looked into a new diet any further?? By that I mean, have you researched on your own, not just asked your vet, because they just tend to recommend Science Diet. If you are finding that managing the insulin is difficult then this should really be your #1 priority. A good diet can reduce the amount you have to give them, and sometimes get rid of the diabetes altogether.

As for taking trips away, we still managed to take vacations when our cat was diabetic, and my parents did with both of their diabetic cats. Luckily, I had a friend (who was terrified of needles) who was able to give Darius his shots, and my parents boarded their cats at the vet when they took trips. It's no more expensive to board a diabetic cat as it is a nondiabetic cat.

Yes, I spoke to the vet about her food and he advised that as long as she was eating there is no reason to move her to high protein wet food (she's on high protein dry). I told him about what i had been reading and how many ppl (not vets) say to move the cat to wet food. He said not every cat needs to be moved to wet. He also did not recommend Science Diet - he recommended no changes. He did say that I can give her wet food if she will eat it as the most important thing is that she is eating but it is not necessary to move her to it.

She's currently eating 1 can of wet food/day and I am giving her a bit of dry. Where she used to treat wet food as a treat and take a few bites then walk away, she is now eating 1/2 can at a time.

I cannot find most of the wet foods listed on felinediabetes.com but have been able to locate a couple of them (I've been to five different stores). I feel like I am doing her a disservice by feeding her food where the first ingredient is by-products.

I know posters are just trying to share that work arounds can be done, etc., everyone's situation is different though and what has worked for others in their scheduling/work/travel does not necessarily work for others.

I would never put a pet down simply due to an inconvenience. I spent over $3K last summer to treat my male kitty when the vet said he had never seen a cat so ill recover using that treatment. Thank heavens it worked as the only other option was a second surgery for an additional $5K+.

Anywho, I do appreciate everyone's input.

I haven't tested her blood at home yet but will need to do that in the next day or so. Not looking forward to it as, knowing her, she'll be quite uncooperative. Of course she sits still as a statue when the vet pokes her ear - she's terrified. At home is a completely different ballgame.

After a bit of trial and error I finally got the hang of it and never really had a problem with either of my Diabetics. It helps if you can corner them. I would put Malcolm in my reading chair and sit in front of him so he couldn't leave, then I would kinda lean over him and hold him down. After it was over I would give him a treat. After a while (short while) he would just sit there and wait for it to be over ( less than 60 seconds) and take his treat and go. LOL Don't get discouraged if you don't get it easily at first. There is a learning curve. It helps if you can warm the ear. I found that just rubbing his ear for a minute with warm hands was enough. Then I used a drop of Neosporin with pain relief gel on his ear. Not for the pain but because he had really furry ears and this would help the blood drop pool on top. I put a cotton ball on the insdie of the ear and pricked the outside. After the stick I would hold the piece of cotton with pressure on the spot for a few seconds and that's the whole thing. You will get it. There are videos on the Feline Diabetes website if you want to watch it a few times, I did. If you have any question feel free to PM me any time. Good luck.

I know posters are just trying to share that work arounds can be done, etc., everyone's situation is different though and what has worked for others in their scheduling/work/travel does not necessarily work for others.

I would never put a pet down simply due to an inconvenience. I spent over $3K last summer to treat my male kitty when the vet said he had never seen a cat so ill recover using that treatment. Thank heavens it worked as the only other option was a second surgery for an additional $5K+.

Anywho, I do appreciate everyone's input.

I haven't tested her blood at home yet but will need to do that in the next day or so. Not looking forward to it as, knowing her, she'll be quite uncooperative. Of course she sits still as a statue when the vet pokes her ear - she's terrified. At home is a completely different ballgame.

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate the input.

This is one of those times that I, once again, wish I had more than two hands! LOL.

I plan to test her today.

When it rains it pours. I am becoming more stressed. I know I should not be discouraged as there is a learning curve but it's hard.

I just pricked her ear three times and could not get a drop of blood to come out. She was not happy so after the third try I gave up. I can't be taking her in every time her blood needs to be checked so I hope this starts to work.

I watched youtube videos and they make it look so easy - and the vet makes it look easy - but I could not get a drop to come out.

My other cat, the one who had major gastro problems a year ago, has been throwing up every couple of days for the past week or so, so now he's going to the vet this afternoon.

Yep, a couple more hands would be a big help. LOL That's why I used my hip to block and my arm to hold him down. But after a while you won't need more than 2 hands. It will be easy. Good luck with your test today! Let us know how it goes. If I can help just PM me.

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate the input.

This is one of those times that I, once again, wish I had more than two hands! LOL.

I plan to test her today.

Yep, a couple more hands would be a big help. LOL That's why I used my hip to block and my arm to hold him down. But after a while you won't need more than 2 hands. It will be easy. Good luck with your test today! Let us know how it goes. If I can help just PM me.

Thanks. We cross posted. It didn't go well and now my other kitty has to go to the vet.

*sigh*

Well, something on his blood work came back very, very high and the vet prescribed Prednisone (steroid) as he has used that to successfully treat this problem in other cats. He said if this does not work the elevated test result could be due to something else and that means more testing.

It's been an expensive month with these two furballs of mine.

Thanks for asking.

Well, something on his blood work came back very, very high and the vet prescribed Prednisone (steroid) as he has used that to successfully treat this problem in other cats. He said if this does not work the elevated test result could be due to something else and that means more testing.

It's been an expensive month with these two furballs of mine.

Thanks for asking.

Hope it works - lots of virtual chin scritchies being sent to your guys!

I think my cat is suffering from a blood sugar crash today. I came home and she was not very steady on her feet and had trouble climbing the stairs. I fed her and gave her her shot and she is now sleeping. I'm quite concerned and don't know if I should just let her sleep or what. I plan to test her glucose level in another couple hours (the vet said to check her levels between 4 and 5 hours after feeding).

I hope when she wakes up she is more herself.