My senior dog and his health issues :(

Nov 15, 2011
Hi all. I have a jack russell/daschund mix dog who will be 16 years old in October. He has had a heart murmer for many years but he has recently been gagging coughing and sneezing at night. He went for xrays and blood work and we found out that he has an enlarged heart with a possible tumor( he has an infection) and infection in his lungs. He may have fluid in the lungs. He has been started on heart medications and antibiotics. However the reality is that he has months. The growth on his heart makes it difficult for the heart to work properly.

I know he is old but im in shock. He is one of my babies. I dont have children..I just feel very sad. Thanks for letting me share here.

Sorry to hear about your beloved pet's illness. Let yourself grieve for a little bit, but then try to remember all the good times you've shared these past 16 years and then focus on making more good memories in the time you have left. I know that's easier said than done, but I think our pets would rather we be happy than sad when we think about them.

I'm so sorry. I hope your baby is doing OK, despite everything. I took my dogs to the vet this morning - one has cataracts starting and the other one was diagnosed with a heart murmur. The vet rated it 3 out of 5, so it's still treatable at this point in time. He's half your dog's age, so I hope he makes it to 16. Please give your boy a hug from me...and here's a hug for you :hugs:
BTW, what's his name?

I'm so sorry to hear this.

We are also going through a similar situation with our senior male Shiba Inu (we have 3).

I will pray for you and your fur-baby.

(((HUGS))) for you both!

Oh, lots of gentle hugs for dear Larry. It's the very hardest part of loving a pet, when their time nears the end. He never would've lived this long without you being an awesome and responsible pet owner. Give yourself lots of credit for that.

I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well. Try to make the most of the time you have left. I know that it is almost impossible to do without crying every time you see him feeling poorly. I'm sure he has had a wonderful life full of love. A dog can't ask for more than that. ((((HUGS))))

I just wanted to provide an update- two days ago Larry passed away. We made the decision to have him euthanized because he was suffering. I never realized how hard it would be afterwards. I feel like i have lost a limb. I wonder where he is and if he is now whole again. I just hope he is happy and will be waiting for us.

I just wanted to provide an update- two days ago Larry passed away. We made the decision to have him euthanized because he was suffering. I never realized how hard it would be afterwards. I feel like i have lost a limb. I wonder where he is and if he is now whole again. I just hope he is happy and will be waiting for us.
I am soo sorry...I had to put my little senior girl down in July and it was very hard. They are both running together at the Rainbow Bridge looking down on us.