My seller has delayed Shipping.

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
I purchased a high dollar item on eBay last weekend. The listing had the BIN option so on Sunday night I made an offer. The seller accepted by Monday morning and I paid immediately. The listing stated the item was in New York and delivery would be by Friday, Oct. 24th. I heard from the seller on Wednesday....via private email.... Telling me that shipping overseas was more $ than anticipated and due to safety and it being an expensive item he needed to wait till next week to mail out. His friend is flying to the U.S. and the item will fly over with him .....when he arrives here which will be at the end of next week - Friday .....almost 2 weeks after I paid ( less a few days) - it will then be mailed from the US. I hope this makes sense.

So how long does the seller have to mail an item before losing his protection? I've looked this up but can only find that it is " recommended that a seller mail an item within 7 days."
Does this delay hurt me as a buyer in any way at all other than just the wait if ( fingers crossed) there ends up being a snad claim or an INR claim. I'm feeling a little nervous now with these new developments.

I have asked the seller for a refund and told him I would cancel the transaction so he would not be charged the fee but he has refused. If I knew the item was not going to be shipped out immediately as the listing indicated and that I would have to wait over two weeks to have it in my hands....well I would not have purchased.

Last edited:
I purchased a high dollar item on eBay last weekend. The listing had the BIN option so on Sunday night I made an offer. The seller accepted by Monday morning and I paid immediately. The listing stated the item was in New York and delivery would be by Friday, Oct. 24th. I heard from the seller on Wednesday....via private email.... Telling me that shipping overseas was more $ than anticipated and due to safety and it being an expensive item he needed to wait till next week to mail out. His friend is flying to the U.S. and the item will fly over with him .....when he arrives here which will be at the end of next week - Friday .....almost 2 weeks after I paid ( less a few days) - it will then be mailed from the US. I hope this makes sense.

So how long does the seller have to mail an item before losing his protection? I've looked this up but can only find that it is " recommended that a seller mail an item within 7 days."
Does this delay hurt me as a buyer in any way at all other than just the wait if ( fingers crossed) there ends up being a snad claim or an INR claim. I'm feeling a little nervous now with these new developments.

I have asked the seller for a refund and told him I would cancel the transaction so he would not be charged the fee but he has refused. If I knew the item was not going to be shipped out immediately as the listing indicated and that I would have to wait over two weeks to have it in my hands....well I would not have purchased.

Yes this makes sense - perhaps he thought a travel opportunity to ship domestically in the US was going to be quicker than it was. Considering that he is making you wait an expectedly long time for a what was advertised as a domestic shipment, I'm surprised he is not agreeing to cancel the transaction.

I do recall a that it was seller protection requirement to ship within seven days. Maybe that has changed. But as a buyer you have many days to file a claim - at least 30 - so I don't see any concerns with your protection.

This makes me uncomfortable. I am not sure what you bought but I know there are a lot of counterfeit sellers on eBay that list their location as NY and then dropship their fakes from China. If he is on the up and up why wouldn't he let you cancel?

This explanation would be of concern to me & also that the seller did not contact you
thru ebay messages but contacted you via your private e-mail..

You can file an INR but am not sure the specific amount of time you need to wait
before doing so..

Your seller may be in violation with saying the item is in one location & it is now in
another... Others will chime in about this ..

I might e-mail your seller via ebay so it will be on record with what your seller
e-mailed to you privately...

Last edited:
This explanation would be of concern to me & also that the seller did not contact you
thru ebay messages but contacted you via your private e-mail..

You can file an INR but am not sure the specific amount of time you need to wait
before doing so..

Your seller may be in violation with saying the item is in one location & it is now in
another... Others will chime in about this ..

I might e-mail your seller via ebay so it will be on record with what your seller
e-mailed to you privately...
Definitely do this. In fact I'd copy and paste the entire text.

Besides the shadyness of it all and how he listed it, what happens if you need to return it? Where would you send it and it's going to cost a ton more to ship it back.

Exactly! That is my concern as well. Am wondering if his PP confirmed address is actually in the US.
At this point I am sitting tight and waiting for Friday - to receive my shipping notification.
I am hoping this all turns out well and the item is as described. I do not want the additional hassle of returning an item. I've only had to do this twice in the 13 yrs+ I have been on ebay.

The item location did turn out to be a little shady but I do not feel my seller is out to swindle me. He seems a little naive in regard to the protection policies in place that are there to help him..

Exactly! That is my concern as well. Am wondering if his PP confirmed address is actually in the US.
At this point I am sitting tight and waiting for Friday - to receive my shipping notification.
I am hoping this all turns out well and the item is as described. I do not want the additional hassle of returning an item. I've only had to do this twice in the 13 yrs+ I have been on ebay.

The item location did turn out to be a little shady but I do not feel my seller is out to swindle me. He seems a little naive in regard to the protection policies in place that are there to help him..

Well, I hope everything goes smoothly and the item is perfect. :smile: Good luck!

This seller is in violation of eBay policy by misrepresenting his location in terms of where the item will ship from. This obviously affected your decision to buy. I think you can force a refund with eBay on this basis, or at least have ammunition if the deal goes south at any stage. Good luck.

Policy overview Sellers must be clear and accurate about the location their item will be shipped or picked up from. We don't allow false, inaccurate, vague, or misleading information about the location of an item in the Item location field or description. When listing items for sale, sellers are expected to provide the city, state and country of their item so shipping charges and delivery times can be accurately calculated and communicated to buyers."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

I have been very patient but today is Tuesday - Two weeks and two days since I paid for this item (an expensive item btw) and no shipping details. I did hear from the seller on Friday saying the item which was listed as being in NY in the auction has now traveled as of last week from the UK to Australia with a "business partner" and again from Australia to the US on Friday. It was to be mailed to me (by this same business partner) on Sat using 2 day Express. If it arrives today at my home I will be surprised but will probably open a case tomorrow if it doesn't.

Jumping ahead (and I usually do not makes leaps like this but this whole transaction is giving me a bad feeling) - if I open a claim in PP for "Item not received" and it the arrives.....well what happens if it is not as described? I'm sure I can change the claim over to the later but not sure I want that type of claim handled by PP - Ebay is better for SNAD..no?