My scalp got sunburned..now I have dandruff!!

awong10

O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
I went on a lovely cruise last week with my boyfriend and we had a great time. Unfortunately, I sunburned my scalp after tanning on the deck for a few days!! It was red and stung for 2 or 3 days but it's pretty much back to normal now except I have huge flakes/dandruff! Has anyone else had this happen to them? I don't know whether I should use special shampoo (ie. Head & Shoulders) to treat like regular dandruff or just simply play the waiting game. I feel so ick..

Ack, don't use harsh dandruff shampoo. The flaking is your scalp recovering from the burn - it should go away in a short amount of time. Think of it as you would a burn on another part of the body - it needs soothing, cooling relief. Do you have a shampoo with aloe vera in it?

Hope it heals soon! :flowers:

P.S. I'm envious of your cruise! Where did you go?

Oh gosh. Don't remind me. The same thing used to happen to me every year when I went to Warped Tour. The peeling will go away in a few days. Using your regular shampoo and conditioner is just fine. The only thing I recommend you do is look over your hair very carefully before you go out and don't scratch unless you have a comb nearby.

LOL, that's happened to me several times..it's just like normal sunburn..like fabgrabs says, you just have let it take its course..be gentle when you brush, does it hurt in the shower?;)

And next time you're out galivanting on some yacht, wear a hat, LOL

I would definitely use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. make sure the conditoner really moisterizes.

when the sun hits the skin, it dries it out. So this must be the case with your scalp and that is why its flaking off. I would definitely go for a gentle yet moisterizeing shampoo and confitioner.

Frederick Fekkai shine collection has olive oil. which is very good for your hair. Or even try the Dove shampoos and conditioners! they smell great

Try something with aloe if possible. This used to happen to me as a kid, being in the sun I'd get blisters nearly on my scalp because of the harsh sun.

someone told me not wearing a center-part could help prevent it (like put your hair up/half-way instead, that way your scalp isn't as exposed...)

Hope it heals soon! :smile:

I've had this happen before--and with black hair, it's not pretty! Just let your scalp heal on its own, and try to remember a hat for future cruises!
Take Care!

The dandruff problem is gradually going away!! I told everyone at work about my sunburned scalp because I didn't want them to think I had dandruff normally lol. I've been air drying my hair, which I think helped a lot.