My SA was absent and a different SA grabbed the sale

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
I went into Chanel, with a specific purchase in mind -- some tweed sneakers. I had looked at them previously, with my long-time SA. They weren't on hold, just something I thought about going back for. Everyone in the store knows who I work with.

My SA wasn't in, and I reminded the new SA, who has been there a long time (but not with me) that I always work with the absent SA and if the sale could go to her.

Anyway, I noticed she gave herself the sale.

Question is -- is it silly to email my SA and explain what I tried to do for her?

I could call when she's in, but emails are so much faster and simpler. Am I stirring up trouble or should I just let it go?

Last edited:
I went into Chanel, with a specific purchase in mind -- some tweed sneakers. I had looked at them previously, with my long-time SA. They weren't on hold, just something I thought about going back for. Everyone in the store knows who I work with.

My SA wasn't in, and I reminded the new SA, who has been there a long time (but not with me) that I always work with the absent SA and if the sale could go to her.

Question is -- is it silly to email my SA and explain what I tried to do for her?

I could call when she's in, but emails are so much faster and simpler. Am I stirring up trouble or should I just let it go?

How could you tell? I also just purchased an item from another SA because mine was also not in that day. I have no idea who got the commission. (I just found this handbag that day, so I had not been working with my regular SA on it).

I found a wallet yesterday that I want to buy, but my SA wasn't there, so I didn't get it. I want to be sure she gets all of the commissions off of me from here on out).

How could you tell? I also just purchased an item from another SA because mine was also not in that day. I have no idea who got the commission. (I just found this handbag that day, so I had not been working with my regular SA on it).

I found a wallet yesterday that I want to buy, but my SA wasn't there, so I didn't get it. I want to be sure she gets all of the commissions off of me from here on out).

She put her name and number down on the receipt. Not my SA's.

I discusssed this once with my SA due to a similar circumstance. It is a situation where there are really only two long term SA's. She said that she really appreciated my bringing it up, but they had some sort of "arrangement" so it was all good.

Hmmmm, That's a toughie. That is why I avoid going in or make any purchase when my SA isn't in. I worked at Holts for a month years ago and it can get sticky if say your SA goes to management and ask them to reverse the commission or give a referral, some people can be aggressive.

I'd say let it go and in the future of you want your long term SA to get the commission you might want to notify her so that she can make arrangements with the SA who's working that day.

Hmmmm, That's a toughie. That is why I avoid going in or make any purchase when my SA isn't in. I worked at Holts for a month years ago and it can get sticky if say your SA goes to management and ask them to reverse the commission or give a referral, some people can be aggressive.

I just wanted to let my SA know I tried.

She's usually in the day I went in, and in the past, other SAs gave her the sale.

I don't expect my SA to try and get the sale back, I just want her to know I tried to get if for her.

This happened to me one time when I stop by to pick up the bag she held for me and she's not in store, but I have her associate # memorized, and informed the other SA that I appreciate her help to ensure my SA gets the sale. I check the associate # on the receipt before leaving. it's on top left hand corner of all my boutique receipts. :smile:

Most of the professional teams that work together nicely know to give the sale to your SA and that is how it should be done. I would absolutely ask your SA if she will get the sale and if she says no, I would call the dept mgr and tell her what happened. SA's that steal the sale are a nightmare to the others and it is very hard for anyone to do anything unless the customer complains. That would make me mad.

I had a similar situation where I had to repeat myself and the fill in SA then rerang it. It's just not right.

Perhaps also ask your SA if that is their arrangement in the dept-this is what I am used to, but perhaps other places are different.

Most of the professional teams that work together nicely know to give the sale to your SA and that is how it should be done. I would absolutely ask your SA if she will get the sale and if she says no, I would call the dept mgr and tell her what happened. SA's that steal the sale are a nightmare to the others and it is very hard for anyone to do anything unless the customer complains. That would make me mad.

I had a similar situation where I had to repeat myself and the fill in SA then rerang it. It's just not right.

Perhaps also ask your SA if that is their arrangement in the dept-this is what I am used to, but perhaps other places are different.

It wasn't on hold or anything. The other SA had to look for it and wait while I decided.

I was thinking of calling or emailing my SA and just letting her know I tried. That's all I want -- for her to know I'm loyal. Everyone in the store knows to get her when I come in. Even the security guards page her. lol

Would you do such a thing? Call to let your SA know you asked?

Last edited:
It wasn't on hold or anything. The other SA had to look for it and wait while I decided.

I was thinking of calling or emailing my SA and just letting her know I tried. That's all I want -- for her to know I'm loyal. Everyone in the store knows to get her when I come in. Even the security guards. lol

Would you do such a thing? Call to let your SA know you asked?

I know my SA works on 100% commission and I know how her store works because we have talked about it. The other SA's would ring under her name if I come in and she isn't there. I prefer that. If you don't want to do so, you're not obligated. I've worked in a sales commission environment for years and it can be brutal. The customer ultimately decides who gets the sale. Not everyone wants to bother, some feel uncomfortable.

If everyone in the store knows to call her when you come in, they know you are her customer, but it depends what their policy is, if she isn't working that day.

I discusssed this once with my SA due to a similar circumstance. It is a situation where there are really only two long term SA's. She said that she really appreciated my bringing it up, but they had some sort of "arrangement" so it was all good.

+1

I have been told this also, when I was working with one SA who was not going to be in the next day. I inquired how it would work out if I purchase the item the following day, and she told me the same (that she has an arrangement with her co-worker who will be there). So it's good because at least she knew I was concerned and we were all being open and honest.