My SA was absent and a different SA grabbed the sale

The sales people I know who sell designer bags or shoes are all commission only. If they don't make their sales goal one year, the next year their pay and other benefits are affected. Most of the general public doesn't understand commission sales and how it works. Some may get a small salary with a commission bonus, I'm not sure how every store works. As far as I know, the Hermes people make a nice salary plus commission-it is not like that for many.

The benefit of working with one main SA, is they know your style and over time that is very helpful. What's important is that the first person who helps you with an item-if they are nice etc, is the person you go back to. That is correct customer etiquette.

Someone here asked why you would email or text a SA to let them know you had bought from someone else etc? Probably best to text or call ahead of time and let them know you're stopping in so you don't have to do that. It doesn't hurt to have a conversation with your SA and ask what they prefer.;)

thank you for this info, but how big is the commission - is it % of the sale and how much?

thank you for this info, but how big is the commission - is it % of the sale and how much?

Is this format true for specific stores or just the boutiques? My only Chanel is over an hour away in Neiman's. I will have to do a better job of working with just one SA.

They all work on commission; I buy mostly thru the dept stores because I like the reward points. Shoe sales people operate the same way. Most in designer bags and shoes make 5-10% commission. This is based upon the people I have talked to. It is high, but keep in mind they have a high rate of return.

When an item is returned the commission is deducted from the SA's pay. I have known SA's to get 20k worth of product returned in a single day.

The return rate for the Canadian chanel SAs would be very low if any. They don't ship outside of the store, and only allow clients with a long purchase history to pay over the phone, AND there's no return policy, only exchange or store credit. But would be curious to know what kind of commission rate they make.

I went into Chanel, with a specific purchase in mind -- some tweed sneakers. I had looked at them previously, with my long-time SA. They weren't on hold, just something I thought about going back for. Everyone in the store knows who I work with.

My SA wasn't in, and I reminded the new SA, who has been there a long time (but not with me) that I always work with the absent SA and if the sale could go to her.

Anyway, I noticed she gave herself the sale.

Question is -- is it silly to email my SA and explain what I tried to do for her?

I could call when she's in, but emails are so much faster and simpler. Am I stirring up trouble or should I just let it go?

Yaay for getting the shoes!! but sorry to hear about what happened. I do find it awkwrd too when my SA is not there. So nowadays I always check with her before I go in. I think you should just let it go. :sad:

Yaay for getting the shoes!! but sorry to hear about what happened. I do find it awkwrd too when my SA is not there. So nowadays I always check with her before I go in. I think you should just let it go. :sad:

Yes, I had to let it go. :sad:

I always go into the store when it's not my SAs day off, but she was off a second day as well. And it's not like they do holds anymore, so when I decided to re-try the shoes, I knew I had to go asap, because my size is rarely there for long.

If they did holds, like they used to, it would solve a lot of problems.

The return rate for the Canadian chanel SAs would be very low if any. They don't ship outside of the store, and only allow clients with a long purchase history to pay over the phone, AND there's no return policy, only exchange or store credit. But would be curious to know what kind of commission rate they make.

Yes, good point. There are no returns, just store credit, so the commission is theirs.

You know, I've often thought I should be shopping more at Holts and getting extra AmEx bonus points, but I usually shop at the boutique, in order to be loyal to my SA… and I still feel bad about what happened. I'm absolutely letting it go, as you suggested.

Yes, good point. There are no returns, just store credit, so the commission is theirs.

You know, I've often thought I should be shopping more at Holts and getting extra AmEx bonus points, but I usually shop at the boutique, in order to be loyal to my SA… and I still feel bad about what happened. I'm absolutely letting it go, as you suggested.

you are such a good customer! it's nice for you to be so loyal, but at the same time, it doesn't hurt to establish a relationship with another SA. :graucho::graucho:

But Tbh, the service staff at the Chanel boutique inside Holts Bloor is awful, I refuse to shop there, even if they have what i'm looking for.

The Yorkdale Chanel is better, in terms of SAs but the selection is so pathetic. They never get any of the good stuff, even my SA there is like go buy it from the flagship.

Yes, I had to let it go. :sad:

I always go into the store when it's not my SAs day off, but she was off a second day as well. And it's not like they do holds anymore, so when I decided to re-try the shoes, I knew I had to go asap, because my size is rarely there for long.

If they did holds, like they used to, it would solve a lot of problems.

I know, they are so strict here. No holds, no returns, no transfer, no freebies. I read about people getting an extra dustbag from SAs for their espadrilles in the u.s., and I'm like whaaaat, that would never ever happen here.

Nowadays if it's something I really really want, I take the chance pay for it over the phone first, esp if there's something I know I will be able to exchange it for if it doesn't work out. It's a really really warped way of shopping, especially considering the amount of $$ involved.

Last edited:
you are such a good customer! it's nice for you to be so loyal, but at the same time, it doesn't hurt to establish a relationship with another SA. :graucho::graucho:

But Tbh, the service staff at the Chanel boutique inside Holts Bloor is awful, I refuse to shop there, even if they have what i'm looking for.

The Yorkdale Chanel is better, in terms of SAs but the selection is so pathetic. They never get any of the good stuff, even my SA there is like go buy it from the flagship.

Yorkdale SAs aren't too bad -- you're right. I don't know why I keep going down to Bloor anyway. I keep thinking it will pay off somehow, although not in bonus points. lol

Go buy from the flagship -- that's funny!

I know, they are so strict here. No holds, no returns, no freebies. I read about people getting an extra dustbag from SAs for their espadrilles in the u.s., and I'm like whaaaat, that would never ever happen here. Now if it's something I really really want, I take the chance pay for it over the phone first, esp if there's something I know I will be able to exchange it for if it doesn't work out. It's kinda really kind of warped.

A few months ago, I bought basic, boring sneakers from one year ago and they were not on sale! They weren't out, because they were old, but still no discount.

Yorkdale SAs aren't too bad -- you're right. I don't know why I keep going down to Bloor anyway. I keep thinking it will pay off somehow, although not in bonus points. lol

Go buy from the flagship -- that's funny!

my yorkdale SA is endearing. The yorkdale store is definitely more relaxed and down to earth.

BTW, does anyone know if the boutiques in toronto still do events? I got invited to a few many many years ago then it stopped probably cuz I always show up looking like a bum :roflmfao: and also didn't buy enough. Wondering if these events still exist?

my yorkdale SA is endearing. The yorkdale store is definitely more relaxed and down to earth.

BTW, does anyone know if the boutiques in toronto still do events? I got invited to a few many many years ago then it stopped probably cuz I always show up looking like a bum :roflmfao: and also didn't buy enough. Wondering if these events still exist?

I haven't been to anything in ages, now that you mention it.

I went to a making of the Flap event and a jacket event and something else…. but nothing lately.

I didn't even receive a Christmas card this year. Did you?

I haven't been to anything in ages, now that you mention it.

I went to a making of the Flap event and a jacket event and something else…. but nothing lately.

I didn't even receive a Christmas card this year. Did you?

lol, then I'm ahead of you, yeah I did get a Christmas card. I use to get a tonne of mailings, in terms of catalogues, and there was a heavy package about making of the flap, oh and there use be this post card that comes in the mail to inform me of the sales. It's been awhile since I got anything.

I also attended the jacket event, and some kind of watch launch and something else I don't even remember it was soo long ago. It was nice, I felt special. :biggrin::biggrin:

I see a lot of people on insta posting pre season launch and stuff, and some even got invited to the fashion shows? I'm seriously envious but then again they are probably the big spenders that get to view the presales. :P

lol, then I'm ahead of you, yeah I did get a Christmas card. I use to get a tonne of mailings, in terms of catalogues, and yeah there was a heavy package about making of the flap, oh and there use be this post card that comes in the mail to inform me of the sales. It's been awhile since I got anything.

I also attended the jacket event, and some kind of watch launch and something else I don't even remember it was soo long ago. It was nice, I felt special. :biggrin::biggrin:

I see a lot of people on insta posting pre season launch and stuff, and some even got invited to the fashion shows? I'm seriously envious but then again they are probably the big spenders that get to view the presales. :P

One of the events gave out a cute silver pin. Must have been for the jacket event. The gift bag was so large, I thought my tiny pin wasn't inside, but it was.

The other times, they gave out a fragrance which wasn't as nice, but still nice to get! I liked those events too.

Your inbox is full, by the way. lol