My s/s 2013 haul - straight from the runway and the made-to-order-atelier

Wentworth-Roth

Longtime Member
O.G.
Jul 3, 2006
Yesterday I had a rather busy day, I was in Milan to visit Louis Vuitton Montenapoleone and Burberry Via Verri (flagship stores in Milan's world famous quadrilatero della moda) to pick up the items I had reserved from their s/s 2013 collection.

I won't bore you with further details, but will start the reveal without more ado.

DSC01805_zpsa136105d.jpg

Fantastic! Such amazing pieces at such an exquisite level. You are such a true collector!

How was the made to order process?

My husband and I are going to adventura in Miami in march where they have the first made to order men's shoe salon in the states. It is his 40th birthday trip so I want to make it as special as possible given that he threw me an LV party in our Charlotte boutique.

You and I have both had our doubts about LV shoe quality. So any advice would me much appreciated to ensure that we pick the right combo. He has a preference for alligator though I'd love to see him with some ostrich.

Fantastic! Such amazing pieces at such an exquisite level. You are such a true collector!

My husband and I are going to adventura in Miami in march where they have the first made to order men's shoe salon in the states. It is his 40th birthday trip so I want to make it as special as possible given that he threw me an LV party in our Charlotte boutique.

You and I have both had our doubts about LV shoe quality. So any advice would me much appreciated to ensure that we pick the right combo. He has a preference for alligator though I'd love to see him with some ostrich.

As far as I know Vuitton offers alligator leather only paired with their thicker soles, Goodyear and another type I forgot the name of. Their elegant Blake and Demi-Blake soles cannot be chosen with this exotic leather.

Additionally, alligator is very delicate. Every drop of water, every spec of dirt and every scuff will forever ruin its beauty. Personally speaking, I would not spend several thousands of dollars on shoes that I would have to constantly worry over.

As far as I know Vuitton offers alligator leather only paired with their thicker soles, Goodyear and another type I forgot the name of. Their elegant Blake and Demi-Blake soles cannot be chosen with this exotic leather.

Additionally, alligator is very delicate. Every drop of water, every spec of dirt and every scuff will forever ruin its beauty. Personally speaking, I would not spend several thousands of dollars on shoes that I would have to constantly worry over.

Thank you for the advice. There is no where else I cam get that type of insight!

And the shirt is fantastic! I hope for some mod pics on the shores of somewhere beautiful!

One more thing I forgot to mention. You can read-up on the made-to-order process in my interview at Feather Factor.

You have been able to place some special orders from Louis Vuitton. Can you share? What are your favorite pieces from the brand?

Louis Vuitton has always offered an outstanding customization service to its clients, but in 2011 it launched several new made-to-order services at select global stores. Gentlemen may choose between shoes, belts and a Taiga leather business bag and since I am a big fan of Louis Vuitton shoes, I decided to take the plunge and order a pair of made-to-order shoes and a matching made-to-measure belt this spring.

The special order process is fairly simple, but the options available are almost overwhelming. You see I had to choose between three designs, four sole construction types, several kinds of leather, eight or nine colours and I believe four hardware finishing options. This all allows you to create a truly unique shoe that is unlikely ordered by another customer. Leather swatches, display pieces and rendering software help you with your selection process, whereas to ensure the perfect fit your feet get accurately measured and you get to try on a trial pair to confirm the sizing.

My made-to-order shoes are definitely my favourites. They are truly unique and most of all comfortable. No need to break them in. My made-to-order python belt may look breath-taking, but it is not very practical. You need to know snakeskin is smooth only on one side, so when I remove the belt I go against the grain of the scales and they get stuck in the fabric of the belt loops. Lesson learned I guess, so I would not advise anyone to a python belt.