My Rant: Seller Calling my Bag an "Off Color" in her Listing

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. While in a Christmas-shopping frenzy I bought a bag that I wasn't sure I completely loved. It was just sitting in my closet (still in the shopping bag - how embarrassing) so I decided to list it on *bay as a BIN/BO. It didn't sell, so I lowered my price and relisted on 1/22. It ended today with the same result - no sale. Fine. I figure I'll put it back in the closet and try again in a month or so.

When I listed my bag, it was the only one on *bay. During the course of my listing I would periodically search the style to see if any others had been listed. Two popped up. One was identical to mine with a higher price and a shorter duration (didn't sell). One was the same as mine with a longer duration in a different color (black). I checked out the black one a few minutes ago to see if there's been any activity and this time, I actually took the time to read it. Right there in huge type in the middle of the listing it says: This is not some "off" color or knockoff being offered by others on *bay. Um ... excuse me?? My bag was a different color than the seller's but it's not what I would consider "off" and it certainly isn't a knock-off! I am totally offended because I feel like this was directed at my listing as given the start date of this seller's listing, mine was the only other bag of this style on *bay at the time she listed. :cursing:

I know there's nothing I can do about it, and it probably had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my bag didn't sell, but I'm irritated just the same. Sorry for the long post ... I just needed to rant about this a little!

2. That would bother me, too. She didn't need to resort to "name calling." I think it was rude of the other seller to take a "swing" at your bag, in order to make her's look better.

3. LOL I'd so love to email her and ask her if she has the same bag, but in whatever color yours is because black is so boring. (I don't really think black is boring, it just would be fun to tweak someone like that.)

4. Thank you :smile:

I don't think it would have bothered me so much if there were 10 other bags in this style on *bay at the time. It just felt really personal because at the time, I know I was her point of reference. Ugh.

5. Love that idea!! I wonder if the bag in black will sell? Maybe my bag really is an "off" color and I'm just too off to recognize the truth :P

6. choo_girl, just be careful with your umbrage--you don't want to sever it like you did with that british buyer.

7. ^Excellent point. I should probably just stay off the computer because my umbrage is very sensitive since the severing ....

8. ^and that's probably the reason you are just too off to recognize the truth.

9. :roflmfao: What color is it??????????

10. Not only do I LOVE this idea.. but I think SEVERAL of us should do it! One each day for the next week>>>>>

"Do you have this in ANY other color besides black"?????

11. She also called it "ragged" wtf?

12. It's called "smoke" and it's somewhere between green and gray. (It's liquid patent, so the color is variable depending on how the light reflects off the leather). I think it's pretty, but I guess we've already established that I'm "off".

13. O.M.G. .... that is just too, too funny!! :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

14. I know, right? What is that about?!? The darn thing is brand new! The first time I took it out of the shopping bag & dustbag was to take the *bay photos. I need to quit *bay. I can't take the pressure :nuts:

15. #15 Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Well, hell.. if it's an FB, I have seen that bag... and there is NOTHING wrong w/ that color. It's a wonderful neutral grey! OMG
    You are just dealing w/ a MEAN girl, hon!
    Your auction should say something like...

"For the selective buyer who seeks a more sophisticated neutral than black"... (IN BOLD, of course!)