My rant-Money does NOT equal snobbiness!

Liberté;3801414 said:
Let's just say they have different priorities. ;) Good luck on your interviews.

My comment wasn't in reference to their drinking habits. It was in reference to their judgment of me for spending my money in a different way than they do.

I dropped off applications at 7 stores today, and I already have two interviews scheduled. I'm so excited! I had a really good reaction from the managers I spoke with and I was told by 3 others that they're going to call me in the next week to schedule interviews.

My coworkers are not poor. They have just chosen to spend their money on things like blacking out at the bar every weekend instead of designer clothes. They are pathetic and juvenile and I cannot wait to move on to bigger and better things!

I hope it gets better for you. When I first started a job, I was labeled a spoiled brat by a few of my co-workers (jokingly, but it still annoyed me) because of what i had. five months later, they know me much better now, and they know it bothers me when they make comments on our SES levels, so they don't bring it up. i snapped at them a few times to get to this point :smile:

If you drop names like Gucci and Neimans in casual conversation, you are kinda asking for trouble even though you don't mean it that way. In my experience, the best approach is to avoid drawing attention to that kind of thing.

Some of my classic responses to where did you get that/how much did you pay for that:

Oh I bought this online. (don't mention the name of the store)
How much did it cost? Oh I got it on sale. (don't mention the actual price)
I had to sell a kidney to buy these (again don't mention the price)
My mom gives me her hand me downs.
When talking about designer clothes, I might say I think they are made in Italy (don't mention they are Prada, Gucci etc...)

I only talk about my shopping habit with people who won't feel bad because they can't afford to spend so much.

I would have to agree that dropping names is not a good idea. At my workplace. Everybody wear namebrands that is high class/upper class but no one ever would discuss where they go to shop or ask what brand is that blouse. These people are big money makers but they do dress polished. One thing I did notice is that because they do make good money, they try to downsize it or they don't care to show off. Another thing I have observed is that they do brag about comfort clothes but of course, they are expensive like those orthapedic shoes and vacationing in Greece and was surprised to see that they have amazing leather selection and stuff like that.

I bought Botkier handbag instead of LV bag Speedy bag because I did not want the logo to appear that I was showing off, but in a way I am, I guess. Botkier does not have logo all over it and my bag is funtional.

Chic- I run into your problem quite often. My husband and I have worked for every single thing that we have. Nothing given to us ever. I left home when I was 15, we are both college grads, and we live in the best neighborhood in town. We also own alot of real estate. My husband works 40+ hours a week, making six figures. I manage our real estate. I also can lay tile, change light fixtures/basic plumbing, paint, and whatever else needs to be done on our properties that I can tackle. My husband is out on the weekends mowing lawns on our properties, doing yardwork, or whatever needs to be done. In other words- we work hard. People look at us with envy- they don't get it. We are a result of our decisions that we have made over the years, just like they are. They choose how they want to spend their money/extra time, just like you or me. People shouldn't be so petty, but most of the time they don't realize what it REALLY takes to get ahead in this world. Good luck with your new job- whereever it may be. That is a better environment for you.

Chic- I run into your problem quite often. My husband and I have worked for every single thing that we have. Nothing given to us ever. I left home when I was 15, we are both college grads, and we live in the best neighborhood in town. We also own alot of real estate. My husband works 40+ hours a week, making six figures. I manage our real estate. I also can lay tile, change light fixtures/basic plumbing, paint, and whatever else needs to be done on our properties that I can tackle. My husband is out on the weekends mowing lawns on our properties, doing yardwork, or whatever needs to be done. In other words- we work hard. People look at us with envy- they don't get it. We are a result of our decisions that we have made over the years, just like they are. They choose how they want to spend their money/extra time, just like you or me. People shouldn't be so petty, but most of the time they don't realize what it REALLY takes to get ahead in this world. Good luck with your new job- whereever it may be. That is a better environment for you.

You remind me of my parents. They both came from working class families and put themselves through college. They worked extremely hard and my dad eventually built and ran his own corporation, which he has since sold. Now he builds houses himself. He hangs drywall, caulks, paints and tiles. Of course he hires experts to do most of it but he is always on site doing what he can. My Mom has worked 60 hour weeks doing research for as long as I can remember. They saved and invested wisely and that's why they have money.

The most important lesson my parents taught me in regards to shopping was to always buy the best, but only buy what you need (usually one). So you buy one pair of quality sunglasses. One designer purse (I have 1 purse and 1 tote, oops). But I won't buy another unless I sell one of them. I have a very modest wardrobe, but almost every piece is classic and quality. I only have 2 lipsticks, both Chanel. A deep red for night and coral for day. That is all I need. I do not spend above my means. I save and spend my money frugaly. However I believe that the bags I have will last me for a very very long time. To me, this is the OPPOSITE of snobbery.

This philosophy has served them very well. I learned to consider every cent I spend as an investment of some sort. Sales Associates always tell me that my taste is very mature lol.

I would like to bring the concept of luxury and quality to the masses. Like the Japanese, I believe that you should only have to buy one of something that's quality, rather than cut corners and have to replace it after a short time. Many lower-class Japanese women save for years to buy one designer purse. That's the kind of influence I'd like to have in the industry because I honestly believe that it's in the consumer's interest to invest their money in something well made. It's the antithesis of the Wal-Mart philosophy, so it's kind of funny that I grew up not far from the HQ.