My pup is not eating enough I THINK

I've heard people say that the dog will eventually eat the food when he gets hungry...even if he doesn't really like it at first smell. But, you can try adding some chicken breast to it and mixing it in.

Check the food you are feeding him and what is recommended first. A lot of small dogs don't eat the recommended either. What about wet puppy food? Most really like it and if you can get him to eat that w/ his dry, that might work. An all wet diet is not good for their teeth, but a bit to get him to eat is not bad, IMO.

You can try adding a bit of meat, but be careful w/ the amount and his stomach. Puppies have very sensitive bellies and you don't want him to fill up on the topping v. the food.

I feed my babies twice a day. Once before work and before I eat my dinner. So that way I do not feel guilty not sharing since I know they have a full tummy. I mix a VERY small amount of wet with a small handful of dry. I sort of try to underfeed them. I always have a big bowl of dry out. I figure if they are hungry they can always eat that. And they do sometimes.

Generally, puppies under six months of age should be fed three times daily, between six and twelve months old, two times, and once per day after twelve months. That's what my vet advised anyway.

Even though my dog is an adult, I feed him twice a day b/c he eats small meals and is a nibbler, like your pup.

My dogs have always been pretty good eaters, but a long time ago we had a puppy
that we got from the shelter and she would go three or four days without eating. We always left her crunchy food out tried to supplement that with canned food and table treats, etc., but she wouldn't eat. The vet said not to worry. She lived to be 15 and was the nicest, healthiest, sweetest girl ever.

I had never heard of a dog not eating before, but she never changed her habits and all was fine.

I completely understand why you're concerned, though. Your pup is probably just fine, but it is something that one usually doesn't think happens.

I would worry about a small puppy eating enough. If they don't eat enough they can have low blood sugar and not want to eat and get weak fast. If you choose to free fed measure the food out and measure any left over food so you know how much puppy is getting. The amount of food recommended on the bag may be way too much food. My dogs ate about half that amount to maintain weight.

*I* would be using the dog's meals for training and every bit of kibble would be a reward for doing something. That makes food really important to the dog. I used to roll kibble down the hall and my dogs got exercise chasing it down and eating it. If puppy just sniffs and won't eat it, it is MINE, I take it back and play with it [that has never actually happened]. Yes, I have food obsessed dogs.

Oh, I read on a list a top agility competitor fed her papillon some tiny amount of food a day. 11 kibbles, some really tiny amount of food like that. Maybe even count the kibble so you really know what is going on.

Have to go, it is 15 minutes past my dogs' dinner time. They eat 3 times a day as old dog needs food in her tummy all the time or she gets a tummy ache. They think that is an excellent idea.

My guy gets cottage cheese in his supper and he just loves it! And it keeps his coat nice and shiny, we always get complements on how nice his coat is. It helps to take away some of the blah factor from the dry food also. We fed 3 times a day till he was about 9 months old then went down to twice. My vet recommends that a 20 pound dog eats a cup a day, we are trying to put some weight on him so we are feeding 1 1/2 a day.

You can try adding water to his dry food to soften it up. The dry food is more palatble this way and easier to digest. Are you feeding him the recommended amount on the bag? Does he appear to be growing? If not, you may want to consult your veterinarian about this.
Also, please keep in mind, that many American pets are overweight. What we perceive as a healthy weight for our dogs is actually fat.

Here are some factors to consider when deciding how much to feed your dog:

- size/weight
- activity level
- breed

Whatever kibble you're feeding your dog will have a recommended amount based on weight/size printed right on the bag. Use that as a rule of thumb and adjust it to your dog's own eating & exercising habits. Most people tend to OVERFEED their dogs, which can lead to some health complications later on, particularly in the toy breeds. For instance, my puppy is a chihuahua and she weights in at a mere 2.5 pounds. The recommended daily allowance for her is about 1/2 cup of food, total for the day. That's not much at all -- about 50 pieces of mini kibble. I feed her twice daily, 1/4 a cup at a time -- a TEENY amount.

I don't suggest leaving food around. Feed your puppy 2 -3 times daily, on a regular time basis. This helps you to recognize his eating patterns and tell when he's not eating well or if his diet needs adjusting. Also, food is a primal motivator in dogs and should be used to bond with them.

If you are feeding him on a regular basis, and he JUST started to nibble at his food, I would be concerned about his health. His disinterest in food all of a sudden may be an indication that he's not feeling well. This is assuming you don't leave food out and he's not being overfed. If this is the case, you should monitor his bowels closely and consult with your vet.

If he's a puppy, he may be going through a particularly bad phase of teething as well. Many puppies lose interest in food for a short period when they're going through that.

If none of these is the case, you may want to mix wet food with his dry food. A tiny amount of dog gravy or wet food goes a long way, and most dogs gobble it up. Mine licks her bowl clean!

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Good advice Fate!

I can't free feed my dogs either, they'd be popping machines. I feed my boxers twice a day, usually in the morning and at night. I used to feed them three times but they're getting older so it's fine. One is 6 months and other is 9 and they seem to be doing fine.

I do agree about mixing a little bit of wet food with the kibble. When I don't feel like giving them can food, I put some plain yogurt in the kibble too. I heard chicken broth is another alternative.

how old is he? puppies are supposed to eat 3x a day, and adults 2x. my pom (shes about 9lbs) is a little finicky, so i feed her wet food (1/3 of the container of beneful) in the am before work and i put out 1/2c of dry food at nite and leave it out all night. usually she eats about half when i put it down, then finishes the rest over the course of the night.

it mite also be as simple as he doesnt like the food ur giving him. try playing around with different brands/sizes/shapes/flavors of food