My professor told me Chanel bags are all made in China but assembled in Europe?

barbie444

O.G.
Nov 1, 2009
To say today was a crappy day at school in an understatement. Anyway I am a fashion merchandising major and today there was a discussion about Chanel. I pride myself in all the Chanel knowledge I have learned from The Purse Forum throughout the years. I also own quite a "modest" Chanel collection (two more reveals coming this week). She went on a about how China is taking over the luxury sector including Chanel. When I said I doubt Chanel will move it's production away from Europe to China, she said "Sweetheart it already has, all the pieces come from China, they just assemble it in Italy." I was floored for a FASHION professor to be so ignorant, but I kept my cool and decided to ask you ladies if theres is any truth to this.

Some high end fashion lines are doing that but im not sure about Chanel. I wouldn't be surprised though

You should read this book its an eye opener

Deluxe How Luxury lost its Luster by Dana Thomas.

I have heard this many times about many different designers, and I do wonder if it is true. I would not expect it to be true of Hermes and Dior, because they still make bags by hand, or at least claim to. Chanel, though, I could believe it.

Oh wow, I sure hope not, makes me happy to have brought my M/L as vintage. I dont think Chanel will say this is true even if it is though? They would lose customers by the drove?

I think to have any part of a Chanel bag that says "Made in France" or "Made in Italy" farmed out to China is wrong on so many levels. Then why in heaven's name do we have such hefty price increases?

Reactions: SkeeWee1908
I think to have any part of a Chanel bag that says "Made in France" or "Made in Italy" farmed out to China is wrong on so many levels. Then why in heaven's name do we have such hefty price increases?

Because people are willing to pay. The higher the prices the longer the waiting list, it seems.