Well, I had an emergency vet bill today () of over $300 for my kitty cat, and now I can't get my Pirata Zucca that I have on hold with Lindsey at SH. So, anyone who wants one that thought they couldn't get one, please purchase the one I had on hold! I feel awful about cancelling the order, but after this vet bill I don't have any money left until my next check, and all that money goes to paying my rent, car bill, etc! I emailed Lindsey and I hope that this doesn't cause a problem! Has anyone had issues with placing something on hold ahead of time, and then not being able to cancel the order even though you haven't verbally given payment and shipping info? I hope they understand! Feedback on a situation like this would be appreciated! And if anyone is interested, my kitty, Ronin, has a condition where he gets these little bubbles on his face and he scratches at them. This time, he scratched at them really badly while I was away from home, and they bleed and got infected. Hence the $300 emergency bill. Argh. But he is okay now. I attached a picture of him!