My path of Scarves---new vs old ---Tracking down holy grails and vintage or embracing the future

misspink001

Jan 21, 2017
I am at a dilemma. I'm new to collecting and find scarves of Christmas past and future are very desirable. My time and dollars are stretched trying to obtain all the rare retired scarfs and the new season scarves. Should I just focus on one, past or future?

Any thoughts?

Interesting question. My own thoughts: if you are new to collecting, you may not know yet what it is you really love most about a scarf. I think a lot of people go a little nutty gathering a bunch of things at first, before settling down and figuring out which ones they end up wearing and enjoying the most.

I personally don't recommend spending a lot of time and money hunting for the popular grails, like that blue Turandot, until you know for certain that that is truly what suits your coloring and lifestyle best. The only way to find that out is to have a few other scarves and experiment with them over time.

It can be useful and fun to pick a personal grail for yourself, to ration your spending, like a particular cw of a scarf from a few seasons ago that turns up every once in a while but isn't in huge demand, so doesn't have an astronomical price tag.

I recommend focusing at first on discovering what colors, patterns, and sizes work best for you, whether they be old or new, and not spending over retail until you have worn them for a while. Have fun!

Edited to add: I thought of a reason to maybe start with the new. You can actually try them on before you buy! Going to boutiques, seeing whether they flatter you, getting advice from good SAs--doing as much of that as you can early on will save you from some expensive mistakes.

Also, there are a lot of fakes out there. Boutique shopping avoids that risk. When you do venture into collecting old ones, get 'em authenticated by marietouchet! Read the archives of those authentication threads if you have time. You will learn so much.

Last edited:
This is great advice from @Belphoebe. H really makes scarves for everyone, so it is good to be patient and wait for "your" scarf to turn up. Collecting should be fun, and when you know what suits you best, you might decide to create a cohesive collection based on a certain color, or theme (sea life, exotic gardens, equestrian, birds, vehicles, FSH, etc.), or possibly a particular designer. Until you discover what you love most or choose a direction, you might feel like you're chasing your tail a little. :smile: Or end up with a collection that doesn't feel as personal as you might like.

Edit: Another argument for trying them on, as @Genie27 brilliantly mentioned in another thread, they look quite a bit different flat than they do tied. I returned a Zebra Pegasus mousseline recently because, though I loved it flat, I just couldn't make the colors work for me when it was tied.

Last edited:
Interesting question. My own thoughts: if you are new to collecting, you may not know yet what it is you really love most about a scarf. I think a lot of people go a little nutty gathering a bunch of things at first, before settling down and figuring out which ones they end up wearing and enjoying the most.

I personally don't recommend spending a lot of time and money hunting for the popular grails, like that blue Turandot, until you know for certain that that is truly what suits your coloring and lifestyle best. The only way to find that out is to have a few other scarves and experiment with them over time.

It can be useful and fun to pick a personal grail for yourself, to ration your spending, like a particular cw of a scarf from a few seasons ago that turns up every once in a while but isn't in huge demand, so doesn't have an astronomical price tag.

I recommend focusing at first on discovering what colors, patterns, and sizes work best for you, whether they be old or new, and not spending over retail until you have worn them for a while. Have fun!

Edited to add: I thought of a reason to maybe start with the new. You can actually try them on before you buy! Going to boutiques, seeing whether they flatter you, getting advice from good SAs--doing as much of that as you can early on will save you from some expensive mistakes.

Also, there are a lot of fakes out there. Boutique shopping avoids that risk. When you do venture into collecting old ones, get 'em authenticated by marietouchet! Read the archives of those authentication threads if you have time. You will learn so much.
Excellent advice!!!!

I am at a dilemma. I'm new to collecting and find scarves of Christmas past and future are very desirable. My time and dollars are stretched trying to obtain all the rare retired scarfs and the new season scarves. Should I just focus on one, past or future?

Any thoughts?
Do soul searching - what are YOUR goals ? wearing scarves ? collecting? Christmas scarves will not get worn as much... A friend said that the half life of a Christmas scarf is three weeks - they get worn Dec 1 - Dec 25, then tossed in a drawer for the rest of year, Nothing wrong with having a scarf for special times of the year, but, they do not get worn like an intemporal abstract design .
What do YOU really wear ? Dont make the mistake that I have made with floral scarves. I LOVE flowers, I have an AMAZING garden, the Hermes floral scarves are TDF, everyone gushes over them ... But I WONT wear flowers
Dont get distracted with everyone else's opinions here. People have have all sorts of budgets, fashion needs, opportunities (or not) to wear the scarves, find out what works for you , if Christmas scarves are it, then OWN IT ! BUT know THY BUDGET ahead of time !

This is great advice from @Belphoebe. H really makes scarves for everyone, so it is good to be patient and wait for "your" scarf to turn up. Collecting should be fun, and when you know what suits you best, you might decide to create a cohesive collection based on a certain color, or theme (sea life, exotic gardens, equestrian, birds, vehicles, FSH, etc.), or possibly a particular designer. Until you discover what you love most or choose a direction, you might feel like you're chasing your tail a little. :smile: Or end up with a collection that doesn't feel as personal as you might like.

Edit: Another argument for trying them on, as @Genie27 brilliantly mentioned in another thread, they look quite a bit different flat than they do tied. I returned a Zebra Pegasus mousseline recently because, though I loved it flat, I just couldn't make the colors work for me when it was tied.

Agree with all of this: patience; developing a collection really shaped by your taste and not everybody else's pretty things. And I still get myself in trouble falling in love with flat designs and forgetting how much they can change when tied.

I like OP's choice of the word "path," and it made me wonder whether others started with new or vintage, and when they might have crossed over.

Here are the stages in my own path, if you want to see what chasing one's tail might look like:
  1. Every woman should own one Hermes scarf.
  2. Wait, I meant, one each of a few different formats.
  3. OK, I can have more than one scarf per format, but definitely no repeat patterns.
  4. In the same format.
  5. Unless I bought a cw that doesn't work for me and I need a do-over.
  6. And Ex Libris and Brides de Gala totally don't count.*
  7. Neither does L'Art d'Ecrire.
  8. Oh, what the heck SO MANY PRETTY THINGS WHEEEEEE
  9. Oops.
  10. Uh-oh.
  11. Hmm. What have we learned here?
  12. Evolving quest to build on strengths, repair past mistakes, and avoid future ones; make sure my joy, storage space, and budget are cooperating with each other

* I branched out to older scarves at stage 6. Didn't buy any fakes, but made other mistakes. Let's just say, if you are thinking, "But maybe that color looks better on me than I think, and maybe I could fold it to hide that part of the scarf anyway," navigate away from the page immediately, no matter how good a deal it is.

When you are ready to collect older scarves, @marietouchet and @ksuromax (who just scored an awesome grail, btw) had a useful exchange recently:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/your-grail-scarf.121359/page-386#post-31469593

I should have mentioned reading not only the authentication archives but also the Scarf ID and Scarf Reference archives. They will teach you about scarves, good ways to do your research -- and, importantly, what to look for in a reseller.

Shout-out to good resellers! Collecting vintage scarves would not be possible without them. While even the best get fooled sometimes (hence the authentication step), there are best practices the trustworthy ones follow, and they work hard to earn buyer trust. Seek them out -- or at the very least, learn how to avoid obviously bad ones.

And as @ms.kim says, grail hunting is fun! As you probably know, that Your Grail Scarf thread is not only for the uber grails but also for whatever scarf you yourself consider a grail. Everybody is ready to share in your joy acquiring whatever it is you've been hunting for. (Though if you do saunter in with that blue Turandot, there will be extra ooohs and ahhhhs.)

TL; DR: Take the time to figure out what works best for you; do your homework before you collect the old; find balance; enjoy the hunt as well as the wearing!

(Thanks for the likes, everybody. Sorry for the huge posts recently. They'll end soon. Gotta get it out of my system before work gets crazy.)

Here is my suggestion for non current scarves. Go slow. Cruse ebay when you have nothing else to do. Save pictures of scarves you like on to your computer. Look at them a lot. Number them in order of the ones you love the most. See if your favorites stay your favorites. Maybe you will discover other colorways of the designs that you like better. Some may not wear well with you over time and may fall off your wish list. Starting with your absolute favorites is safe. Notice if you pick colors similar to your wardrobe. Those colors are probably a safe place to start.

Follow the scarf of the day thread and look for your favorites to see how they show up tied. Read threads on scarf philosophies like:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/tangotoscas-scarf-circus.647034/

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...lings-about-how-i-built-my-collection.924187/

Everyone's grails are different. Wait to discover what yours are rather that chasing something that is popular with others. The longer you hang around here, the more you will learn how wildly different people's tastes are.

As long as you get a non boutique purchased scarf authenticated, then making a choice mistake is no big deal. If it doesn't work for you, re-sell it and put the money into your next choice.

Since I only started collecting H scarves about 3 years ago, I was unaware of all the past seasons' designs, so I find ebay to be really helpful in that respect. I do a lot of browsing there, mostly because I'm always seeing something I've never seen before (when my husband asks if I'm looking at those scarves AGAIN, I tell him I'm doing research lol - and I am!). But don't forget that the designs come in a multitude of cws. When I find a scarf I really like, I do a Google search to try and see what other cws existed. For me, I feel that there are always 1 or 2 cws that are perfect for the design. I like to know what all the potential options are before committing - that way I can consider if I want to compromise or if I want to hold out for the cw that I feel is perfect for me (because maybe there's more than 1).

Thank you all for the wonderful advise.

My biggest problem, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here, is that there are so many beautiful scarves, new and old, and I want them all, NOW, but I don't have the money to go out and buy every single scarf I see that I want.

I don't know which are grails for everyone but there are some older patterns that I am attracted to like Brazil, Mexique and Flamingo Party (I like feathers) and these older ones pull my attention away from just buying new ones.

For now, I started just pulling pictures that I see of scarves I like and putting them in a word document so that I can see them and making a separate document with the scarves I own and comparing to see if there are colors/styles I would like to add to my wardrobe. I'm super picky on colors as I don't like warm colors much at all so I know I will not choose colors with those shades.

I will definitely refer back to this thread for the pointers on building my scarf collection. Thanks again!!!

Reactions: klynneann
Since I only started collecting H scarves about 3 years ago, I was unaware of all the past seasons' designs, so I find ebay to be really helpful in that respect. I do a lot of browsing there, mostly because I'm always seeing something I've never seen before (when my husband asks if I'm looking at those scarves AGAIN, I tell him I'm doing research lol - and I am!). But don't forget that the designs come in a multitude of cws. When I find a scarf I really like, I do a Google search to try and see what other cws existed. For me, I feel that there are always 1 or 2 cws that are perfect for the design. I like to know what all the potential options are before committing - that way I can consider if I want to compromise or if I want to hold out for the cw that I feel is perfect for me (because maybe there's more than 1).
I do the same!

Reactions: klynneann