My Paris Trip so Far

guccigal07, I do hope this has not tainted you in regard to Hermes. Not all SA's are like this. Too bad they had to be. Little piles of other H items do help warm them up (that's how I landed my Birkin).

Only get Miss Kelly if it is a love match! You want to love your handbag, so don't compromise on this. It's a big investment. Make sure you are blissfully happy with your purchase!!

Have an awesome time in Paris! Wish I could be there! Will you post photos??

thanks all! glad you like my post...I had a glass (or 2 of wine) so I was in my honest, ramble post whatever mood.

its amazing, the mothership. its soooo big! I understand that they get alot of people coming in, etc but its like come on people. I know my colors, leathers, sizes....so I am not like birkin please, anything.

they just didn't want to look anything up for me!

buttheads! its okay though. very beautiful. my scarf lady was really nice...but she wasn't there.

my first SA that put the kelly on hold was okay nice but not there either.

being in Paris, thinking about bags....and loving Hermes is really hard. the awesomeness of the store, the being in Paris, the wine, the extravagance...just makes you want to buy something expensive from Hermes.

I just need to take myself out of there to think for a few days.

I am most likely going to pass....but what I did like was....

seeing a 35cm sellier...(not souple) and seeing how BIG that makes the bag look even thought I am 5 foot 8 inches....

so I don't know. many choices. I will probably wait...so I can see the souple 32cm. if I don't like it...be BACK on the hunt for a 32cm sellier if need be.

the REALLY nice thing about the store....is just being able to see everything...so that is nice

HH, it was ridiculous. Although I found it more amusing than upsetting luckily. My French is rather poor, but enough to get by. Actually I was surprised at how nice everyone else was in Paris was when I tried to speak French.

guccigal07, I do hope this has not tainted you in regard to Hermes. Not all SA's are like this. Too bad they had to be. Little piles of other H items do help warm them up (that's how I landed my Birkin).

Only get Miss Kelly if it is a love match! You want to love your handbag, so don't compromise on this. It's a big investment. Make sure you are blissfully happy with your purchase!!

Have an awesome time in Paris! Wish I could be there! Will you post photos??

thanks!!! no no taint. I have a 35cm raisin birkin, 30cm brighton blue birkin and a chevre black kelly...so I am well deep in love with Hermes.

my SA is so nice....back in the states.....so its hard to compete with her.

that is a reason I am not like freaking out buying things...bc I can go back and get the things on my little Hermes list from her...and it might cost me more...but it helps me more in the end.

Guccigal, to me, there is a big different between the look, feel and function of a Black Box sellier and Retourne Kelly. I'd wait for what you really want. These bags are too expensive, (even with the Paris discount) to settle for. :smile:

hi GG! so glad you updated us! i am soooooooo jealous!

anyway i am sorry the SAs there were not very receptive to you. BUT if you LOVE that sellier kelly, i say go for it! it's hermes paris! THE place to get a bag! and it is less expensive. BUT if you are not feeling it, like others have said, pass it by and get one back here from your lovely SA. you can always get something else H to remember your visit by!

and i remember reading on other threads that if you go back again between 2-4 pm sometimes you can get lucky. sorry the etoupe didn't work out for you, i would love to see one in person in a size 30 cm!

i hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!! me jealous.

and when i've tried to speak rudimentary french, mostly just to ask (in french), do you speak english, i've found that many of the parisians have been receptive to my speaking french! of course if i ask them other questions in french, i got a lot of answers in french (and sometimes were hard to interpret since they spoke so quickly :smile: ). but many of them said, in english, and a bit embarrassed but very nicely, "a little english, not much."

I don't like people being rude to me....

So typical of them! I don't blame you for being turned off. It's almost as if THEY are doing YOU a favor. Wow! This kind of attitude is what drove me away from trying to get a bag from any of the *H* boutiques and straight into the welcoming arms of resellers -- who were more than happy to have my business, and treated me as I would expect to be treated if I'm shelling out thousands of my hard-earned $$$ for a bag. I know many here have had positive experiences with the boutique (reading Cal's experience today made me smile), and I'm glad for them, but I have not, unfortunately.

If you're already on the list at your local boutique and have a good relationship with them, why not just wait till the bag you really want comes in? I'm sure they'll treat you better anyway.

Whatever you end up deciding, have fun in Paris, and don't let this experience spoil your holiday.

I'm just agog at all this. When I go to Paris I expect the waiters and shop assistants to appear rude to me. But I've got English behavioural expectations. The way to win in Paris is to give as good as you get and develop 'froideur et hauteur' - difficult to begin with ( especially if you are a warm human being like me!) but it is a fun game to play. Being precise about what you want in French also helps - on this forum there is no excuse for not knowing the colours and leathers in their 'own' language. Even SAs have bad days too.

If I loved the bag then I'd probably get it just because it's Paris and seems like the perfect place to remember your find...it also depends on whether or not you want to wait for it with your own H SA... I'm sorry that they were rude to you as there's really no excuse for that..maybe it was a bad day for them as someone else suggested. Maybe try again to see how they treat you...Have a wonderful trip!!!

Concerning the bag:
You're going to wear the bag, not the SA. Don't let an SA's attitude determine what you will and won't buy.
Change SA if you feel it will help.

Concerning SAs:
Maybe you should consider that you're coming from a different culture. Things are slightly different in Europe.
Clothing and "status" items have nothing to do with it. I go to FSH with torn jeans and my rattiest shoes. I have never ever had bad service. Slow service on a Saturday, surely, but never bad or rude.

Most of them aren't going to fawn over anyone on a first visit. Coming in at closing time isn't ingratiating yourself to them. Just like everyone else, they want to get home at the end of the day.

Enjoy your trip in Paris, don't let perceived rudeness put you off from enjoying yourself.

By the way, regarding service, I read an article today on the International Herald Tribune on luxury good and service.

According to the survey made, Hermes, Giorgio Armani topped the list with the most content service. Louis Vuitton slipped from 2nd to 6th or 7th, Chanel is number 9.