Food My parents don't eat veal anymore!

^ What about pigs? If not killed, they live a long time...10-15 years, but they are killed at 6 months. I don't eat veal, but with the humane raising I don't get these reasons since other animals are treated just as bad. I think that chickens are treated just as bad for eggs (stay in place so eggs can drop down) and cooped in red rooms all day. I say instead of fighting veal, just fight everything and eat organic.
I agree. I'm completely puzzled by people who eat meat but refuse to eat certain kinds for "humane" reasons. There's not a huge difference in the treatment of all mass-raised farm animals.

i don't eat pork or beef. the only reason i eat chicken is because i need protein and i'm picky so it's hard for me to get protein without eating some meat. i don't eat much of it either. i don't really like it.
^ What about pigs? If not killed, they live a long time...10-15 years, but they are killed at 6 months. I don't eat veal, but with the humane raising I don't get these reasons since other animals are treated just as bad. I think that chickens are treated just as bad for eggs (stay in place so eggs can drop down) and cooped in red rooms all day. I say instead of fighting veal, just fight everything and eat organic.

I agree, I find it a bit odd for a person to pick&choose what animals they put on their plate when I guarantee you that the person that raised it, no matter what it is, wasn't out there everyday giving it a loving and perfectly humane life up until it became plate-suitable.

I'm completely puzzled by people who eat meat but refuse to eat certain kinds for "humane" reasons. There's not a huge difference in the treatment of all mass-raised farm animals.
I agree with this. All farm animals whose "purpose" is for meat are not treated humanely at all throughout the whole process. I think it's all awful, that's why I am a vegetarian.

I think eating meat is a personal issue, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Here's mine:

To someone who is a vegetarian, any animal killed for food is cruel and unnecessary. I understand that.

As someone who eats meat, I believe in killing when necessary without torturing the animal. I do think it is important to know where your food comes from.

You don't know how the animal was treated before it wound up in Stop & Shop. All the store is concerned about is the quality of the meat.

But for someone who loves animals and eats meat (me!) Whole Foods is great because not only is Whole Foods concerned with the quailty of the meat, but it is also concerned with the animal's welfare.
(http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/issues/animalwelfare/index.html)

That is why I will never touch veal, but I have no problem eating steak, chicken or duck.

exactly! i've never eaten veal and never will. i don't eat lamb either. i can't eat anything so young.
Lamb is difficult. I don't eat it that often to worry about it. And I don't know whether it's actually lamb and not mutton. (I'd have a problem eating lamb, but not mutton.)

I know veal is from baby cow, so I never touch it.

I agree. I'm completely puzzled by people who eat meat but refuse to eat certain kinds for "humane" reasons. There's not a huge difference in the treatment of all mass-raised farm animals.

I agree for the most part but I also think that it's the same thing as someone saying they do not buy conflict diamonds, but otherwise are completely passive about contributing in any way otherwise to stop the blood-shed in specific war-torn country. Sorry if that analogy sucks, I'm tired thismorning, but my point is that at least it's something! that would be pretentious and rediculous IMO to judge someone who "ONLY" helps in that way... well damn them if they don't devote their entire lives to the cause!?

(I'm not asking you Aslan specifically, as I find no fault in your answer whatsoever) but people love to pass judgement on people who only eat specific meats, and always in threads like this, yet if someone began a thread on the aformentioned subject there would be nobody telling them that it makes no sense and shaming them for only doing that one small thing (not buying conflict) well who can really argue the good of it? (I personally always wonder if it's a conscience thing) but anyhoo...

I think it's great of your parents! and however small on the grand scale of things, it is still done with well-intentions and for the greater good. :heart:

That's the way I see it too. Meat is meat. Farm animals are farm animals. I'm sure the parents of those veal calves aren't exactly living the high life themselves. So unless one wants to cut out all meat and leather, it's pretty useless to just slam one part of the market. Target the whole thing, because in the end the cow is still sacrificed for steaks, veal, handbags, shoes, whatever.

(I'm not asking you Aslan specifically, as I find no fault in your answer whatsoever) but people love to pass judgement on people who only eat specific meats, and always in threads like this, yet if someone began a thread on the aformentioned subject there would be nobody telling them that it makes no sense and shaming them for only doing that one small thing (not buying conflict) well who can really argue the good of it? (I personally always wonder if it's a conscience thing) but anyhoo...
I'm not trying to shame anyone, I'm just pointing out that it's contradictory (I would say hypocritical, but that implies intent). I could disagree with someone's choice to eat all kinds of meat, but they would at least be ideologically consistent. Do you see what I mean?

The people who you claim "help a little" actually do not, because they don't believe in the principle of your cause.