My OPI chips bad! Any ideas to stop it??

merekat703

O.G.
Mar 2, 2010
I bought some new opi nail colors and they chip sooo bad! THe worse is the alice in wonderland blue. I use OPI base coat and top coat. Am I doing something wrong. My older OPI don't seem to chip so badly. Also do glitters chip faster than solid colors?? Any tips on how to keep my polish looking good longer than a few hours will be helpful!! THanks!

I find it helpful to run the side of my fingertip around the edge of each nail while polish is still wet. So I am removing a hair of polish at the very tip.

Since this is where polish chips worse for me, my manicures last longer than if I don't do this for each layer.

Good luck!

I've had a lot of problems with OPI chipping too, even with a base and top coat! What a bummer!

For some reason I've had better luck with the Sephora/OPI colors. Not sure if they are formulated differently but they don't chip nearly as quickly! :shrugs:

I use Zoya Base Coat and Top Coat. And on top of that i use seche vite top coat. (i know i use 2 top coats)...
Make sure to "dehydrate" your nails before polishing, by using acetone on your nails. That helps with keeping the nail polish stay longer.

I find it helpful to run the side of my fingertip around the edge of each nail while polish is still wet. So I am removing a hair of polish at the very tip.

Since this is where polish chips worse for me, my manicures last longer than if I don't do this for each layer.

Good luck!

Good idea, Ill try that! Thanks

I would experiment with other base and top coats. They are kinda like skincare, not everything works for everyone.

My polish lasts about 3-5 days with no chips. I use either the seche vite base or Sally Hansen nourishing (think its discontinued). I always use seche vite top coat.

I have not ever heard good things about the OPI base and top coats. I think there is another thread floating around where people recommend their favorites. I would start there. hth!

Recently my OPI polishes have been chipping as well.. My mani used to last at least 5-7 days.. now it'll last me 3 if I'm lucky!
I do base and top coat, both from OPI.. switched to seche vite base and top coast.. made it worse as it started chipping or peeling off the next day! :confused1::amazed:

Either they've somehow tweaked their formula or my body chemicals have changed?

I know some ladies like to have long pretty nails. But the thing that works best for me is keeping my nails short because when they grow out little chips in the nail just cause the polish to chip off in large pieces.

I was wondering if OPI changed the formula as well...... Plus I have short nails, I file them to the tips of my fingers so they don't break. I think I may turn to a different brand.

I bought some new opi nail colors and they chip sooo bad! THe worse is the alice in wonderland blue. I use OPI base coat and top coat. Am I doing something wrong. My older OPI don't seem to chip so badly. Also do glitters chip faster than solid colors?? Any tips on how to keep my polish looking good longer than a few hours will be helpful!! THanks!

I just got ABSOLUTELY ALICE, and the same thing happened to me. Base coat and top coat...and it still chipped within a day or two :tdown:

I have problems with glittery polishes chipping really easily, but I haven't noticed it with non-glittery OPI polishes. Seche Vite is my favorite topcoat, and it should help, but I think glittery polishes are going to chip faster than others :sad:

They chip really bady for me too - even after using OPI natural nail base coat and then the Rapid Dry top coat. I think it is the glitter formula as sometimes the complete coat of nail polish just fell off the nail. NOT happy after the $$$$ we pay for OPI here.