My new Stam Handles is flawed...What to do?

mummumbaby

Sep 19, 2010
Hi Ladies!

I've been waiting to get my new black lacquered stam from Wynn. I picked it up today and when I opened the box, as usual I did a thorough check of the bag first.

I did ask them to check the bag before hand, they said it was new from the back room and wasn't a display...

To my disappointment :cry: one of the handles has a 'cut like' mark on the leather. It's about an inch long.
It's not too deep, just on the surface, but will the leather start peeling later on?

I emailed the SA that helped me and sent her pics. Not sure if there's anything she'll be able to do about it though :sad:

Does anyone think it's repairable?
Would Diego fix something like this?

I'm so happy to have the bag right now..yet so sad about the handle...
What would you ladies do about this?

:shucks:

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 228
THAT SUCKS! ugh... I'm sorry! I'd wait just a bit to see what the seller would offer you as help?... Did they offer to help you?...

If not, then contact Diego asap, and ask for help!

I think you're probably not going to want to return it, right? I don't think the leather would peel off from there...

Hmmmm, that's not good. It doesn't look like a scratch, it looks more like a slice, as if maybe the handle was near the top of the box it was originally shipped in & maybe they used a razor blade to open the crate -- I don't think something like that could be fixed, but it would certainly be worth an email to Diego to find out (that's the one good thing about MJ bags -- free repairs for 2 yrs!!). In the meantime, I would ask the SA whether or not they have another one -- since it's black, they may very well have one more.

I know exactly how you feel -- my bag arrived badly damaged and it took several phone calls, emails and back and forth before we came up with a solution that worked for all of us (there's a thread in the Handbags forum, with the whole story). I was sick about it, but thankfully, my story had a fairly happy ending -- I hope that yours does too:smile:

I'm so sorry -- please keep us posted as to the outcome:hugs:

Hmmmm, that's not good. It doesn't look like a scratch, it looks more like a slice, as if maybe the handle was near the top of the box it was originally shipped in & maybe they used a razor blade to open the crate -- I don't think something like that could be fixed, but it would certainly be worth an email to Diego to find out (that's the one good thing about MJ bags -- free repairs for 2 yrs!!). In the meantime, I would ask the SA whether or not they have another one -- since it's black, they may very well have one more.

I know exactly how you feel -- my bag arrived badly damaged and it took several phone calls, emails and back and forth before we came up with a solution that worked for all of us (there's a thread in the Handbags forum, with the whole story). I was sick about it, but thankfully, my story had a fairly happy ending -- I hope that yours does too:smile:

I'm so sorry -- please keep us posted as to the outcome:hugs:
i can't find your thread in the handbags forum. please send link.

iluv - I just read your story! I'm so glad it turned out in the end! :hugs: And I wish you luck in finding the one you couldn't get from BBOS.
Hopefully I'll hear back from the SA, and see what she says.

Nas - don't worry! I hope that yours will be fine!

Thanks everyone for the support. I'll definitely keep you updated on the status.
I think I might just call right now, since they're still open!

oh no! i totally agree with JJ, it's most likely from someone and a boxcutter. i got a bag on ebay like this ad ave seen bags at places like marshalls and TJ maxx that have these issues. it kills me to see a beautiful bag injured like that.....i really hope there's a speedy resolution to this! i would think the company should ship you another free of charge overnight due to this oversight. i think going with the diego route would mean sending the bag out overseas....it's a lot of work replacing a whole strap. it'd be easier to swap out the bag IMHO. good luck and please keep us updated :flowers:

oh no! i totally agree with JJ, it's most likely from someone and a boxcutter. i got a bag on ebay like this ad ave seen bags at places like marshalls and TJ maxx that have these issues. it kills me to see a beautiful bag injured like that.....i really hope there's a speedy resolution to this! i would think the company should ship you another free of charge overnight due to this oversight. i think going with the diego route would mean sending the bag out overseas....it's a lot of work replacing a whole strap. it'd be easier to swap out the bag IMHO. good luck and please keep us updated :flowers:

Just called the store, the current SA working has no idea what a stam was at first. She said to call back tomorrow morning to speak with a manager.
Since the SA that sold me the bag won't be back to work until Tues.
I highly doubt they'll have another black lacquered stam as i believe Nas and I got the last 2. And there were black regular quilting ones when I bought mine, but there's none on the shelves right now...unless they have some hiding in their back room..

hmm..i wonder if they'll be able to get a new one from their buyer - similar route to what iluv had gone through with her VBH. I'm sure there are more black lacquered stams out there as it's definitely not as 'rare' as iluv's beautiful bag!

thanks jun! oh that would be a lot of trouble sending it to diego overseas, I didn't realize he's in Italy?
I really do hope this will be a speedy resolution.
thank you for the warm wishes everyone!
it's so nice to have tpf ladies who care for each other and understand our bag problems! :love:

I know everyone loves a good deal and I am one of the few that usually just buy straight from the boutique, no sale, but this kind of thing is the exact reason I do this. I trust Gabby and have never had a problem whatsoever. Well worth paying a little more.

If my bag from Wynn arrives tomorrow and has any problem ... well, I don't know what I will do, but it won't be pretty.

It will arrive at my husband's office, he will check it out. He was sitting beside me when I asked if there were ANY flaws, scratches on the bag. She said no, it was from the back room and she just took the plastic off of it. I said in that case, I will take it.

Sorry, mumm. I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I hope it works out so that you end up happy. :flowers::flowers:

oh Nas! no worries at all! You're not highjacking! :smile: I appreciate everyone's help and input! I wish you lots of luck that your new stam arrives perfectly!! As I'm sure they don't want to hear from another unhappy customer.
I'm not sure if I believe what the SA's say now, as they said mine was a new one from the back room, and so was yours, and I think there was only 2, so looks like mine was the display one perhaps?

Nas, can you help me with some advice so I have some 'arguing' power when I call later? or anyone else who's owned new stams recently?

As I've never bought a new stam, how does it usually come when it's brand new and not a display?

Are the handles wrapped with plastic or is the chain wrapped with plastic as well?

What I also did notice yesterday, but didn't think too much of it until I compared it with my two new to me pre-owned 08 baby stam and 2010 large single chains this morning. The chain of this lacquered stam is not 'shiny' when you look at it. Overall it looks like it's been thrown in a sandblasting tumbler so that it's not shiny. It's got a scratched brushed look to it. It's hard to explain, but I took some comparison pics. It's like that on the rings that attach the handles too. Is this normal for the new stams? I've seen them at Holt Renfrew here in Vancouver lately but I don't recall how the chains looked like.

Here are the photos.
small chain is from my single/baby stam - they are so smooth and shiny
the larger one with the leather woven through is my new lac stam...not shiny!

Thanks for all your help ladies! :hugs:

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 94
I've only seen a couple of Stams that still had the plastic on the chains. One was from the boutique and one was from Nordstrom. It just depends on who the SA is and what the store practice is. the local nords even cuts the tags off and puts them in the inside pocket. I hate that!

My resort 10 lacquered stam has shiny hardware. I will go look and see if any of mine have the worn look. back in a minute.