my new shiba inu puppy!

Aug 4, 2006
100_3468.jpg

i've been reading up on the shiba inu breed and been wanting a puppy for a few years now. but i've just recently decided that i'm ready for the responsibility. so my boyfriend put down a deposit for our new puppy, ninja! he turned 4 weeks yesterday and the breeder said all he wants to do is sleep... so she'll have to get me more pictures in the following week. :biggrin:

we probably won't get him until january 3 or 4 of next year so i have a month so puppy proof my room/house. gotta get those purses out of the way!!!

any advice for a new owner? it's tough to search for those posts since it won't let me search for the term "new." thankfully, my best friend is a great puppy owner so she had a lot to tell me. i didn't know i needed a dog license for our city! :P

HE is so so so cute!!! i wanna adopt him :heart:. So he'll be 2 months when u get him? its still a bit young. Maybe he could stay with his mother for a little while longer?
But congratulations!!

I have 2! We brought ours home at about 8.5 weeks. Our breeder only keeps them that long because the pups have self weaned by that point and start to fight for position in the puppy pack. It is best to have the pup understand his pack is his new family, and how he fits in.

Shibas have very unique personalities. Puppy training is a must otherwise you can end up with a very poor tempered and unsocialized doggie. There are some really good sites- one used to be about a dog named Rusty. And yes, they do "scream". Sometimes a little embarrassing especially when people see a puppy rolling around on the floor have a tantrum. Positive reinforcement works best with their personalities, I found. Don't be disappointed if you can't take him off leash. My friends can, mine no way. They get way too distracted by the leaf, dog, branch, bird....

Last edited:
There are some really good sites that talk about the Shiba personality. And yes, they do "scream". Sometimes a little embarrassing especially when people see a puppy rolling around on the floor have a tantrum.

Sorry but I was laughing really hard at this. My dog used to cry when she was a baby and i didnt take her in my arms :P

What a cutie pie and he looks HUGE for 4 weeks. Can't wait to hear all about him and of course see more pics. Congrats!

hehe, part of the appeal was his chubbiness. i believe the mom only had one puppy, so maybe that's why he's so fat? i had a dog when i was younger who only had one puppy... the puppy was so chubby, he couldn't walk for a while....

^honestly, I swear people thought I was abusing them. They would look and see this puppy screaming at the top it its lungs, then get up and prance around like nothing happened. Of course me standing there totally red-faced. All because they touched, chewed, grabbed my pants, whatever and were told NO.

they have the best yodel...LOL
One of mine is the sweetest dog ever (My 15 yr old one)...my other one is ...ummm...well,we call him satan.hahaha.He is a bit of a bad boy but we love him...!
Training them at an early age is SUPER IMPORTANT.Socializing early is so important its not funny!

I have 2! We brought ours home at about 8.5 weeks. Our breeder only keeps them that long because the pups have self weaned by that point and start to fight for position in the puppy pack. It is best to have the pup understand his pack is his new family, and how he fits in.

Shibas have very unique personalities. Puppy training is a must otherwise you can end up with a very poor tempered and unsocialized doggie. There are some really good sites- one used to be about a dog named Rusty. And yes, they do "scream". Sometimes a little embarrassing especially when people see a puppy rolling around on the floor have a tantrum. Positive reinforcement works best with their personalities, I found. Don't be disappointed if you can't take him off leash. My friends can, mine no way. They get way too distracted by the leaf, dog, branch, bird....

thanks for all the advice! i'm so scared of that "scream."