My new Balenciaga arrived and I'm disappointed

May 6, 2012
This is my second Balenciaga and it's nothing like my first Town, which is soft and silky and beautifully wrinkled. I have been hunting for a beige Town for a while, I have been all over the second hand bag sites and found nothing that caught my eye. I saw this Town in beige nougatine with Giant gold hardware, it looked stunning. It was the only one left at Nieman Marcus online and looked to be exactly what I wanted so I bit the bullet and paid full price.
It arrived today and I can say the combination of the leather and hardware is gorgeous, the crossbody strap is shorter that last years model and it truly perfect for me, but the leather is so dry. There was no dustbag which is an another disappointing fact considering the price and there is a very faint scratch on the front. These two things I can over look, but the dryness really bothers me especially on the handles, I don't want to be looking at cracking in a few years. In my heart I guess it has to go back.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406737020.272766.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406737044.892997.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406737077.077868.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406737097.404781.jpg

So sorry to hear about this. Looking at the close up pictures, the bag really does look dry. Its too bad because as you said, the color combination is beautiful.
I remember you were thinking about the pre-owned market. Even though its a scary dive, it might be worthwhile to get some of the older leather that in my experience is fantastic.
Anyway, sorry again for the disappointment :sad:

Really sorry about this.

That's the thing with Bals, unfortunately, when you order one on-line, you're never guaranteed good leather, it's just random luck. Whatever bag they feel like packing for you.

Interesting that in your pics, it looks exactly like my Cumin.

Have you tried calling the Bal boutiques? They may have a BN in stock.

I have looked at the Bals at my local NM and though the colors are wonderful (and seeing so many Bals all at once is a thrill), the ones I have held are no match for my ancient Purses--the leather is always a disappointment.

Now, that just might be me being used to my silky (a perfect description!) Purses--they are worn and definitely broken in.

I would return it if I wasn't totally happy with it.

I think its a gorgeous bag. I agree with CeeJay that maybe a good conditioner would solve the problem. I bought a new City from NM a few weeks ago and I'm going to condition mine soon. All leather needs it eventually.

I called the Tampa Nieman Marcus and they do not have many color choices in the Town, however they do have 2 Velo's, both beige. One is a 2012 F/W with classic hardware, the sales associate scanned it and said the color is 24. The other purse is 2013 F/W with gold hardware, the shade on that is 23. Those shade number are for the NM system I don't think they relate to Balenciaga. When I originally called the store, the sales associate told me that Balenciaga told them to condition it with unscented Lubriderm, this is not something I am willing to do on a $2000 bag. I would love to see what would happen to the bag I have with conditioner however I have no way to get the Apple conditioner or Leather honey before Friday. Here are the two bags they have.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406747039.798409.jpg

I have the same problem with my new bag (2013 F/W) it was very dry when I got it (I ordered online as well), I was super careful with it, but I started to see some colour fading/colour wear off from the corners and the top corners of the bag after using it for about 15 times.

I tried the leather conditioner after I noticed this problem, and I say it worked out pretty good.

But I agree, if you are not 100% happy with the purchase, you should return/exchange it.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

I called the Tampa Nieman Marcus and they do not have many color choices in the Town, however they do have 2 Velo's, both beige. One is a 2012 F/W with classic hardware, the sales associate scanned it and said the color is 24. The other purse is 2013 F/W with gold hardware, the shade on that is 23. Those shade number are for the NM system I don't think they relate to Balenciaga. When I originally called the store, the sales associate told me that Balenciaga told them to condition it with unscented Lubriderm, this is not something I am willing to do on a $2000 bag. I would love to see what would happen to the bag I have with conditioner however I have no way to get the Apple conditioner or Leather honey before Friday. Here are the two bags they have.

View attachment 2702822

There is a soft, beautiful Velo in this color combo at NM walnut Creek CA. It was there a few weeks ago anyway.

Just thought I'd update you because I'm very happy with the outcome. I called Balenciaga in Miami, they told me that the color Beige Nougatine was not released to all stores, in fact they never received it and she said it was possibly only released to their flagship store. She suggested like all the other TPF regulars that I give the leather a good conditioning treatment and then re-think it. They told me that it would be unlikely that I find this combo GGH again. Since that's what I love about this bag and the reason why I chose to pay full price for this and by pass the back and forth that I went through with the secondary market.
So here is a quick photo after treating the leather. Happy happy happy, thanks for encouraging me ladies!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406767942.878071.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406767967.922132.jpg

View attachment 2702822

OMFG .. NO!!!!! Don't EVER use Lubriderm on a Balenciaga bag, it will eat away at the leather!!! This S/A is waaaaaaaay misinformed and needs to be corrected ASAP!!

OMFG .. NO!!!!! Don't EVER use Lubriderm on a Balenciaga bag, it will eat away at the leather!!! This S/A is waaaaaaaay misinformed and needs to be corrected ASAP!!

I ordered Leather Honey and because of this site I knew not to use Lubriderm, it's crazy she suggested it! I'm still planning to go in tomorrow and I will tell her.

Just thought I'd update you because I'm very happy with the outcome. I called Balenciaga in Miami, they told me that the color Beige Nougatine was not released to all stores, in fact they never received it and she said it was possibly only released to their flagship store. She suggested like all the other TPF regulars that I give the leather a good conditioning treatment and then re-think it. They told me that it would be unlikely that I find this combo GGH again. Since that's what I love about this bag and the reason why I chose to pay full price for this and by pass the back and forth that I went through with the secondary market.
So here is a quick photo after treating the leather. Happy happy happy, thanks for encouraging me ladies!
View attachment 2703172View attachment 2703173

It looks yummy, congrats!:smile: