My mysterious, unknown ebay purchase?! What should I do? **PICS**

guancia

gimme more!
Sep 2, 2006
So.. I did post about this bag awhile ago. I'm just not sure what it's called, what it's made of, what the colour is... I do know that the leather feels almost suede like. There's also some water stains on it... I love the handle but I just don't know about the colour and leather. Should I keep the bag or try and resell it??

I always need opinions.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

This is the drilldown:
http://www.coach.com/assets/product_images/drilldown1/10613_d1.jpg

looks like an older Soho hobo in camel. I think it looks great on you! If you like it, keep her! :tup: Maybe put some Apple conditioner on it, that may clean up some of the light stains you're referring to.

looks like an older Soho hobo in camel. I think it looks great on you! If you like it, keep her! :tup: Maybe put some Apple conditioner on it, that may clean up some of the light stains you're referring to.

I don't know where to get apple cleaner. (Canadian) I have a Coach leather moisturizer, but I'm not sure if this bag is vachetta leather and if I should use a moisturizer on it.

As for the camel colour, it has a peachy,pinky and camel hue to it, which is why I'm unsure about the colour too.

Your bag is a vachetta hobo. It is from spring '07. Vachetta is a natural, untreated leather (like the straps of many louis vuitton monogram bags). You're not really supposed to treat vachetta as it will change color and darken over time as it is handled etc. The oils from your skin and exposure to water will darken the leather. It is a very pretty bag and soft too. Hope this little bit of info helps you know your bag better to decide if you want to keep it. I would say hang on to it as it is a very unique bag. :smile:

I want to say that this was called the "tortilla" hobo.
Does that ring any bells with anyone else?

Personally I have had luck in removing water stains from Coachs' vachetta leather by uniformly re-wetting the entire leather surface while very gently patting the stain.
Once the leather on my purse dried the previous water stain dried up (and off) along with it.
I did mine when the water stain was less than a day old, so Im not sure how long yours has been there or if it is 'set'.

I am sure others will offer up their advise/ personal experience on how to restore it.
Maybe start a thread asking for specific help will get you more answers.

HTH and let us know how the restoration goes and what worked for your bag.
Good luck.

Your bag is natural vachetta leather. I saw one of these some months ago at Nordstrom Rack, but in a smaller size, I believe. These hobos are very nice!!

Water, magic erasers or anything like that is bad news on vachetta. The reason is vachetta, or any vegetable tanned leather is not stable in water...it shrinks and eventually becomes brittle and can crack. I'm not saying it's not possible to do it and get away with this for "x" number of times, but I know someone that did this repeatedly with a LV bag, was out in the rain, etc, and ruined the handles (they are cracked now), and I can't fix it. I guess the bag can be restored. In any event, ANYTHING you do to it, conditioner, water, cleaning, will probably darken it. If you don't get it wet very evenly and lift the water very evenly, then it will look splotchy and you will have a mess. Honestly, I do not recommend this, and I would send any bag I loved to a leather restoration professional before I tried it too much. Also, if you do wet it, I would not wet it too much because remember that vachetta shrinks, and also it may have to be conditioned and buffed to restore it to it's natural shape. Usually the colored vachetta or vegetable tanned leather is easier to clean with a cloth because it doesn't stain as readily, etc.

Conditioner will also darken it, but TBH I've gotten away with conditioning and spraying some types of vachetta many times. It's easier to do that more evenly, especially if it's a less porous piece of leather. I can't see your bag in person, but I'm thinking it's more porous than my Dooney bag with vachetta trim. In that case, I would try to lightly remove the spot that's shown in the photo with tape (lightly so that you don't yank off part of the leather) and then rub it with your fingers. It will appear lighter/whiter after you lift the tape. This has worked for me. I use shipping tape, so I would go ever so lightly on it.

Honestly, vachetta is very hard to keep. Light, oil from your skin, etc will darken it over time, and sometimes the pieces do not darken to the same extent as others. It's just inherent to the leather. Whatever you choose to do, I would ultimately spray it with Shining Monkey. This spray IMO is the best for vachetta and keeps down on the patina, or at least promotes a more even one. It also makes it easier to remove any spots that get on the bag because it provides somewhat of a barrier. I would definitely spray the metallic too.

I don't know where to get apple cleaner. (Canadian) I have a Coach leather moisturizer, but I'm not sure if this bag is vachetta leather and if I should use a moisturizer on it.

As for the camel colour, it has a peachy,pinky and camel hue to it, which is why I'm unsure about the colour too.

I'm from Canada too and I've ordered it from Day Timer. Bag Fetish has been suggesting this website several times and I am grateful to her (Thank you, Bag Fetish! :hugs:) for doggedly reminding us of this website.

Here is the thread with this discussion:

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/apple-leather-care-in-canada-307647.html

and here is Day Timer that Bag Fetish suggested:

http://www.daytimer.ca/search/SearchPage.aspx?free_text|10/8/2008%208:55:19%20AM=apple&shopperid=C430448817FF49B08EF17A7275BFC257&aid=False&wu=7&keycode=&line=&cid=20&Origin=

The shipping is abour $9.42 if you spend about $30 on Apple products. I think this is the cheapest shipping rate and in terms of overall cost of the product (once you factor in the shipping) is still cheaper than the stuff on the shelves.

I just ordered some Apple a couple of days ago and it is being shipped to me now! :nuts:

Good luck conditioning it. I can't wait to try it on my latest Coach bags!

Actually, after I read Baglady39's comment above, I would follow her lead instead. If you have other Coach bags (and I know you will because you're in the Coach subforum like the rest of us) then Apple is probably worth for those other bags.

Last edited:
I keep getting caught up with other stuff, but I just wanted to pop back in and say I agree the hobo looks great on you! Also, I was told that the natural vachetta bags can easily be redyed other colors. I haven't tried that yet, but there is a place here in NJ that apparently does a really nice job. I had inquired back when I was trying to decide whether I should keep my camel Lily and deal with the maintenance. By the way, I conditioned and sprayed that bag with no problems, but then again I haven't worn it much either! I would say if you really love this bag and can deal, keep it, and if you can find yourself a restoration professional or use one online, that's always an option down the road when it gets really bad. Good luck on your decision!