Mansur Gavriel My Mansur Gavriel story

cuppatea

Mar 23, 2013
I became aware of Mansur Gavriel in June 2014, I set my heart on the large bucket bag in Blu in calf leather (just by looking at photos online). All the stockists in Europe seemed to only get the Black vegetable tan leather bags in, so I wasn’t having much luck getting my hands on one. Roll on December 2014 and I was placing an order for some clothes on net-a-porter and noticed a mini rosa bucket bag in stock so I thought I would order it and get a feel for the brand. The bag was beautiful but the wrong colour and size, so I sent it back.

I started following the brand on Instagram and hoped to order a bag when they had their re-stock, it seemed the only way I’d get a blu bag. Even with the hefty postage fees (USD100) and possible customs charges as I am in the UK. By sheer luck I placed my order in May 2015 but on receipt of the bag I was disappointed to find the leather on the front was nice a smooth and the back of the bag dented and wrinkly.

MG customer service were very responsive and asked for photos, I anticipated problems when asking for a replacement but they were really helpful and arranged pick up and a replacement at no extra cost. Unfortunately the second bag was no better and I asked for a refund. They refunded me in full including the postage. I hadn’t been hit with customs so I was no worse off but very disappointed. They had offered a third replacement but as they didn’t acknowledge a fault with the bags but just expressed that they wanted me to be happy. I felt I might get a third bag the same.

I kept checking websites which shipped to the UK and offered a good returns policy and I found the bag recently in Belfast. The bag arrived last week and the leather is so different to the previous bags I've seen. The leather has a matt finish and lacks the substance of the previous restocks. It also smells of bleach. I thought it was my imagination, until I check another post here on the forum. I’ve noticed that the site isn’t selling out on these items so wondering if others are ordering and returning due to the smell. It was giving me a headache and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a leather bag to smell of leather.

I am coming to the conclusion that its not meant to be as I’ve had my hands on four separate bags and I’ve heard others complain that they can’t even order one. Maybe I’ve missed their good run, bags made prior to 2015.

What do you think? has anyone had a similar experience?

I’ll try and add photos.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 841
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 836
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 844
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 857
I am so sorry you have had no luck with your bags. It is pretty inconsistent. I hope if you don't give up, that you find your dream bag.

Most people have said the smell fades with time. I have a sand and rosa in the calf leather and neither had a particularly strong smell about them, I can kind of see what people mean but it's not very strong and can only smell it if I press my face on it. Didn't know what the fuss was about when I first read about it though because it didn't stand out on mine.

This was posted in another thread from an email someone received:
"The smell of the bag is a result of the varnish used on the leather to prevent it from getting scratched. This is normal when the bag is new and will fade with use and time. "

If it's something you can't tolerate and don't wish to wait for it to fade or you don't like the leather it's best to return it. It would be a waste to keep something you won't use.

Most people have said the smell fades with time. I have a sand and rosa in the calf leather and neither had a particularly strong smell about them, I can kind of see what people mean but it's not very strong and can only smell it if I press my face on it. Didn't know what the fuss was about when I first read about it though because it didn't stand out on mine.

This was posted in another thread from an email someone received:

"The smell of the bag is a result of the varnish used on the leather to prevent it from getting scratched. This is normal when the bag is new and will fade with use and time. "

If it's something you can't tolerate and don't wish to wait for it to fade or you don't like the leather it's best to return it. It would be a waste to keep something you won't use.

The previous bags had the most wonderful leather smell. I can't say I am impressed with the changes. My problem is, I've seen what good looks like and I am not prepared to compromise now.

The previous bags had the most wonderful leather smell. I can't say I am impressed with the changes. My problem is, I've seen what good looks like and I am not prepared to compromise now.

I agree why should you have to settle? I've been very lucky with MG bags in NY and each one i've found has been fine which is as it should be for anyone. You're getting unlucky because trust me they don't normally look like that with those big that yours had in those above two photos. It should be smooth just like what you've probably seen in other photos online. Don't give up.

I'm sorry to hear your unfortunate events in getting the right bag! I hope you will find the perfect one soon. Otherwise, why don't you try out the normal veg tanned leather? Definitely no bleachy smells from my experience from a few of them.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience trying to get your dream MG bag. It happened to me last year as well and it was such a bad experience that I stopped online shopping for a few months. I was looking for a black/flamma bucket at the height of its popularity and nowhere except eBay had it.

After stalking several sites for weeks, I found a site that had stock so I promptly ordered it. It turned out to be a scam and I paid full price for nothing! All they sent was a fake Chanel clutch and when I complained about the site, the site went offline. I couldn't get any money back and it was at least USD500.

Fast forward to a year later and there were new additions to the MG collection. I was just checking my email when I saw that Luisaviaroma added some new items to their site. I went there and I found a Rosa mini backpack. It was above my budget and costs more than the MG site but I knew it was now or never.

I got the bag a week later and it is perfect. I was really happy with my purchase. Many tpfers here also have their own MG stories but eventually, they got their dream MG Holy Grail. I hope that you can get your dream bag soon. The re-stock is tomorrow so good luck!

:smile::smile::smile:

I became aware of Mansur Gavriel in June 2014, I set my heart on the large bucket bag in Blu in calf leather (just by looking at photos online). All the stockists in Europe seemed to only get the Black vegetable tan leather bags in, so I wasn’t having much luck getting my hands on one. Roll on December 2014 and I was placing an order for some clothes on net-a-porter and noticed a mini rosa bucket bag in stock so I thought I would order it and get a feel for the brand. The bag was beautiful but the wrong colour and size, so I sent it back.

I started following the brand on Instagram and hoped to order a bag when they had their re-stock, it seemed the only way I’d get a blu bag. Even with the hefty postage fees (USD100) and possible customs charges as I am in the UK. By sheer luck I placed my order in May 2015 but on receipt of the bag I was disappointed to find the leather on the front was nice a smooth and the back of the bag dented and wrinkly.

MG customer service were very responsive and asked for photos, I anticipated problems when asking for a replacement but they were really helpful and arranged pick up and a replacement at no extra cost. Unfortunately the second bag was no better and I asked for a refund. They refunded me in full including the postage. I hadn’t been hit with customs so I was no worse off but very disappointed. They had offered a third replacement but as they didn’t acknowledge a fault with the bags but just expressed that they wanted me to be happy. I felt I might get a third bag the same.

I kept checking websites which shipped to the UK and offered a good returns policy and I found the bag recently in Belfast. The bag arrived last week and the leather is so different to the previous bags I've seen. The leather has a matt finish and lacks the substance of the previous restocks. It also smells of bleach. I thought it was my imagination, until I check another post here on the forum. I’ve noticed that the site isn’t selling out on these items so wondering if others are ordering and returning due to the smell. It was giving me a headache and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a leather bag to smell of leather.

I am coming to the conclusion that its not meant to be as I’ve had my hands on four separate bags and I’ve heard others complain that they can’t even order one. Maybe I’ve missed their good run, bags made prior to 2015.

What do you think? has anyone had a similar experience?

I’ll try and add photos.

personally i see nothing wrong with the bags, i love the wrinkles! gives each bag their own character. i can't speak for the calf leather, but the vegetable tanned leather gets scratched very easily.... case in point: my black/ballerina bucket got multiple fingernail scratches within the first few minutes of carry (all done by me lol) but i knew this going in and i'm fine with it! each scratch, imperfection, and wrinkle gives the bag its own character. i own bags that are much more costly, but i find myself carrying my bucket bag the most bc i don't have to worry about it at all, hoping to get a lady bag tomorrow during the restock but we'll see.... last launch was horrible, as all were sold out at 10:01 AM. so ridiculous...