Mansur Gavriel My Mansur Gavriel/eBay story, plus some tips

shan88

Apr 19, 2012
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share this story and warn others about the desperate lengths some people go to to secure themselves a Mansur Gavriel bag.

A few weeks ago I posted a brand new mini crossbody in blue calf leather for sale on eBay, I posted it for what I paid plus a markup to cover eBay and PayPal fees. My listings are always concise and I try to be as descriptive as possible. Anyways, the buyer contacted me for a lower price and to under declare the item on customs, which I reluctantly accepted. I only did this gesture of goodwill because the buyer was based in South Korean and I assumed that he/she was a sweet innocent appreciator of the brand. (stupid me)

When the buyer received the bag, he/she contacted me and said they changed their mind and wanted a refund. I rejected this request on eBay, so the buyer made a PayPal claim citing "Significantly not as described--bag was used" :mad::mad::mad:
I was so livid at this reasoning and did what I could to refute this on PayPal but they decided in the buyers favour, so I had to accept the return.

When I received the return I made sure my partner video recorded me opening the parcel. I opened the parcel and received a COUNTERFEIT BLACK regular cross body in some sort of leather that wasn't vegetable tanned!!! :censor::cursing:
Anyways, made an appeal and won so got my money back at least.

This is what I did in order to get win my case (might not work for everyone)
*Take plenty of images of the actual item
*record my packing process and make the parcel look unique (I do this with all high value sales to protect myself from potential claims/scammers)
*record myself opening the return item
*file a police report
*submitted an appeal statement detailing communication history with the buyer, included photos of the item received with measuring tape, comparison photos with a genuine mansur gavriel item, provided a Dropbox link of the video

Hope this helps for anyone considering letting go of any of their designer items

Here's a sample pic the counterfeit, I was quite disgusted when I saw this and not my original bag
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1448007805.391040.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your hassle of an experience :sad: So glad to hear that your situation ended up in your favor!! Thank you for sharing! I have a MG bag that I want to sell on eBay (chose another MG bag over this one and I only want to get my money back) but I've hesitated to list it due to my fear of something like what happened to you. Will definitely be taking your very well thought out tips when I list mine!

holy crap. i sell my bags on ebay from time to time when i no longer use them. reading this story makes me really nervous as a seller who may get scammed by a buyer (not the other way around, for once).

THANK YOU for sharing this story with us. i am very happy for you, that you had the presence of mind to keep track of everything and were able to win your case and get your money back.

do you know if anything is being done about this buyer scamming you?

holy crap. i sell my bags on ebay from time to time when i no longer use them. reading this story makes me really nervous as a seller who may get scammed by a buyer (not the other way around, for once).

THANK YOU for sharing this story with us. i am very happy for you, that you had the presence of mind to keep track of everything and were able to win your case and get your money back.

do you know if anything is being done about this buyer scamming you?

Not sure and unfortunately because it was international, police here can't charge her for fraud/theft.

Horrible story. I sell high ticket items from time to time and am nervous that something may go wrong until I get positive feedback from the buyer. Thanks for sharing your experience and very glad that PayPal sided with you!

I ended up with two MG bags after the one I really wanted was restocked -- it's so hard to sell on eBay or any of the other outlets. All buyers seem to want a huge discount. I wish there was an easier (and honest) method.