My Lovebirds Are Laying Eggs!!

^^omg that is sooo cute! If that was in my office I wouldn't get any work done -- I'd just watch them all day!!

You and me both! It is bad enough that I navigate out to tPF!

My hubby give his birds those piñata toys. He hangs them from the side of the cage near their perch. They are very popular. Your babies are too cute.

My bird has a pinata snowman. They make smaller ones that you can buy from Foster and Smith.

I love their new mansion (and Buble!).

Yes the "downstairs" entrance is right next to their nesting box. They haven't really been down there much yet. They ate some of the food and treats that I put down there and that is about it. It's a little bit darker down there so maybe that's why? Not really sure but I imagine eventually they will make use of it!
Hi There. I know this is so long after but I just read your thread and am thrilled. I got my son two little lovebirds in February. We moved them to a gorgeous big cage soon after and even though it is winter here on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, they have just laid five eggs. They are so diligent in looking after them with him out to feed then roosting with her and she pops out now and again to eat and poop. Their little hanging tent, as I did not have the nesting box in the cage at the time, is actually the perfect nest. I put two extra perches just below it to stabilise it when I noticed the eggs as I did not want to move them to the box. They look very happy and the two of them manage to flatten and spread themselves over all five eggs so well. All very exciting. Just waiting now but if you have any tips what so ever I would be so very very grateful to hear them. Alas, all your photos are no longer current on the site so am imagining what they will look like. Look forward to hearing from you.

I didn't have to do anything whatsoever luckily. They took care of feeding the babies and weaning them and everything! If this is your birds' first clutch they may only hatch one or two of the eggs out of the five. Or they may hatch all five! My Papa bird earlier this year (in a strange coincidence it was within a couple days of my grandma dying) but the Mama bird is still alive, as well as the two babies. They squabble everyday and one of the babies is bald because his feathers keep mysteriously getting plucked out but they entertain me every day at work. :biggrin:

If you have a nesting box now, I would just move the tent and eggs into it together. They should arrange it how they want in the box but it might be more stable in the box when the babies hatch and start moving around.

I didn't have to do anything whatsoever luckily. They took care of feeding the babies and weaning them and everything! If this is your birds' first clutch they may only hatch one or two of the eggs out of the five. Or they may hatch all five! My Papa bird earlier this year (in a strange coincidence it was within a couple days of my grandma dying) but the Mama bird is still alive, as well as the two babies. They squabble everyday and one of the babies is bald because his feathers keep mysteriously getting plucked out but they entertain me every day at work. :biggrin:

If you have a nesting box now, I would just move the tent and eggs into it together. They should arrange it how they want in the box but it might be more stable in the box when the babies hatch and start moving around.

Thanks so much for your swift reply. It is very reassuring. They seem to be doing it themselves. I bought them from a lady on gumtree and did not get too many details about them. They seem to know what they are doing. I did think about moving them to the box but was worried I would stress her too much as she was in the process of laying then. Even now he is totally skittish, always has been, where as she is a bit of a cool cucumber.Still do not want to unnerve them. I have stabilised the hanging tent, which is quite substantial, with two additional perches and it is quite secure from above as well. They seem very content in it and it has a pretty solid base. I have also put an additional perch for easy entry and exit as you will see from pics, below. It feels OK and they are doing quite well. Maybe when they are born will move them. I will put some more nesting straw at bottom in case she needs it then like yours did. She initially threw most of it out which I removed from cage but will keep a little stash in case she needs it. Thanks so much for making contact. Chat soon, ciao for now

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 339