My Love-Hate-Love with the Cabas

hipnycmom

O.G.
Feb 13, 2007
I never really paid much attention to Chanel until I came upon a Cabas one day, several months ago. I was determined to have this bag, and in the course of my search discovered the Chanel forum (little did I know it would lead to my downfall:graucho:). I found a black baby Cabas on ebay, had it authenticated here, and made it my first Chanel purchase.

Soon after, I discovered the Reference Library and all its hidden treasures and then "realized" the Cabas was not the bag for me (this after I had purchased a brand new one in Khaki too!). I sold them and bought a few other styles. Still, I've been on the search for that perfect tote. I've looked at the GST, the Cotton Club, the Cambon, the Diamond Stitch (so beautiful but still too heavy), and a few more, but none seemed to meet all my requirements. I began to think that the Cabas might have been the perfect one after all:rolleyes:

Lucky for me, a friend decided that her little-worn cabas needs a new home. I looked at it the other day and it was :heart: all over again!

When I first bought the bag I was pregnant and didn't really need to carry much around. Now my baby is 5 months old, and I often have to bring a breastpump and a small cooler to work. Having to tote all the stuff makes me feel like a bag lady (With fab bags, but a bag lady nonetheless!).
The Cabas really makes all the toting a lot easier.

I've never experienced regret to the point of buying the same bag I had once sold. This is a first! But I'm glad I did. :heart:

LOL! I bought, sold, then re-bought the baby cabas too! I don't know why I didn't like it on me the first go-round, but I can't live without this bag now. It's one of my favorite, most-used bags. :love:

I can relate to a lot of the chanel totes being too heavy but loving the look and style. I too settled on the khaki baby cabas as my chanel tote. I almost sold it as well because i thought maybe it was also too heavy but I love it and am glad I kept it. It's a keeper and a classic.

Bulletproofsoul, Thanks for the affirmation! I am glad to be in good company!

Lisakaplan, I guess we have similar taste:smile: I am absolutely thrilled with my Rock flap, and I guess this is another staple.

Jill, thank you. I know and hate that cycle but this is the first time I've ever given in haha

Irishgal, I wish you luck in your quest. I'm sure one will pop up when you least expect it!

The first Cabas I bought had been thoroughly loved before falling into my hands, and maybe that was part of why I had to let it go. The khaki one was just too stiff and new (for some reason I just can't break my bags in - they take longer than forever!). This one has just the right amount of slouch but still has that nice, new smell. Happiness!

^^ It was no longer in stores when I first bought mine, then suddenly there were more available but with the new braided handle/chain. I actually like the older chain better and am so glad I found one. They pop up on ebay every so often (though often at ridiculous prices!)

Glad you got another Cabas!!! I really think it is a new classic, but I know what your mean. I thought about selling my baby cabas but the leather is so beautiful I didn't. I think the Cabas, large and small is a keeper.

Ahh.
Yeah...I think it'd look nice in a really deep red...
But it still wouldn't be a good bag for me personally.

sorry i was confused for a minute haha
i was like what??! how come I don't know this...