My little reveal!

Dingaling1987

Jul 26, 2015
A little backstory:
My boyfriend was abroad for a year for work, and when he finally returned earlier this year, he realised that the wallet I had previously bought for him, which he had stored in his closet while away, had become mouldy. He was visibly sad at having to throw it away, and so I thought to get him a replacement wallet for his birthday!

I hunted high and low for one with a coin pouch (he had complained before that the one I got him and was thrown away didn't have one), and finally found one at BV.

When I presented it to him though, he said he:
1. Wanted to move away from wallets with coin pouches
2. Did not quite like the Bottega aesthetic

My heart was shattered because my country doesn't have a return policy. We could however, exchange it for something else.

So we went down to the boutique yesterday, he looked through all the men's SLGs but couldn't find anything that he wanted, and so, I decided to try to find something in the ladies' department. I knew I didn't want to top up too much money in the exchange, so a bag was out of the question. I am very happy with my current long wallet, but I took a look at the wallets and cardholders half-heartedly.

Until I found this:

View attachment 3653965

Last edited:
IMG_1491104475.152772.jpg

IMG_1491104494.320115.jpg

IMG_1491104517.188944.jpg

IMG_1491104534.439283.jpg

I am in love with the softness of the leather, and the gunmetal colour (I believe it's the Argento?), and how it shimmers in the light and changes ever-so-subtly. People always talk about how Bottega is about understated lux, and I think I finally get it.

The SA did warn me about the sheen fading over time, but I plan to use it as a travel wallet, not as an everyday one, so it should hold up for a fairly long time.

For now, I cannot stop staring at it. Even though the episode of the boyfriend not liking his gift broke my heart a little, and if given a choice, I would have put the money towards the Gucci disco I'd been lusting after, I am still in love with this French wallet. At least I know that it will be a forever piece, and it was money already budgeted for (albeit as a gift, not for myself).

Oh and btw, he eventually ended up choosing a new wallet from Braun Buffel that I paid for. Men!

Last edited:
Beautiful
Love the color

I understand how disappointed you are about your gift not being received enthusiastically
I gave a key loop to a guy I used to date and he never carried it or used it (please note a guy I used to date)
Also I gave my son a wallet in a scrumptious color one Year for xmas
Last September he told me it was still in the box and he never used it (I felt like saying give it back)
Some people just don't get BV
I could say what to do with those people but it is not nice

Reactions: ksuromax
Although it wasn't the ideal circumstance to be compelled to pick something for an exchange, I think you made an excellent choice!

By the way, I have a card case in a similar metallic color, and I use it only for travel or when I need a tiny wallet for an evening bag. It has held up fine with its minimal use. When I bought it, my SA told me that the finish eventually will burnish, like the patina of an old coin, and she said that the effect can be lovely.

Enjoy! Thanks for the photos!

Reactions: Dingaling1987
Argento is a lovely metallic. It's a great neutral and wears very well. I have a several Argento pieces (pillow, l-zip wallet, zip around wallet, and double knot bracelet). Going on almost two years, I see no wear at all. Enjoy. You made a great color choice.

I understand how disappointed you are about your gift not being received enthusiastically
I gave a key loop to a guy I used to date and he never carried it or used it (please note a guy I used to date)
Also I gave my son a wallet in a scrumptious color one Year for xmas
Last September he told me it was still in the box and he never used it (I felt like saying give it back)
Some people just don't get BV
I could say what to do with those people but it is not nice

When he first suggested that I take a look at the ladies section for something to exchange it for, I must say I was pretty disappointed (though I tried my best now to show it). But I guess it is better than him stuffing it in a drawer and never using it.

Sorry to hear about your son - I would totally demand for the item back, LOL.

My boyfriend apologetically said 'sorry, I'm just not that into brands', but I wanted to shake him and shout 'it's not about the brand, or I would have gotten you a Vuitton!' It really is a shame, but at least I could something gorgeous out of it and he's happy with his new wallet too!

Reactions: septembersiren
Although it wasn't the ideal circumstance to be compelled to pick something for an exchange, I think you made an excellent choice!

By the way, I have a card case in a similar metallic color, and I use it only for travel or when I need a tiny wallet for an evening bag. It has held up fine with its minimal use. When I bought it, my SA told me that the finish eventually will burnish, like the patina of an old coin, and she said that the effect can be lovely.

Enjoy! Thanks for the photos!

Wow, that does sound lovely, imagine all the stories these pieces could tell. I hope to see pictures posted by TPFers sometime down the road!

Argento is a lovely metallic. It's a great neutral and wears very well. I have a several Argento pieces (pillow, l-zip wallet, zip around wallet, and double knot bracelet). Going on almost two years, I see no wear at all. Enjoy. You made a great color choice.

Oh yes I saw one of your reveals, and the Pillow in Argento is tdf! It is a lovely colour that can be dressed both up and down, and you're making me lust after a purse in the same colour!