My listings removed for saying "like new"!!!

I personally (as a buyer) feel an auction should read "Excellent used condition" if it is not brand spanking new - never used.

Either its New or it isnt. I just dont think something can be "like new" and feel its misleading.

I suppose eBay sort of sees it the same way.

I never intended to mislead or keyword spam!!!!! I only reccently started to sell on ebay-although I have been a member for 7 yrs. So, I wasn't aware of the keyword spamming issue.
In fact the bag was only used once, it could very easily pass as a NWOT. But I wanted to be EXTRA honest and specific, so I figured LIKE NEW explains it.
I guess looking at it from a buyers perspective, yes it can mislead...yes its not a good description. But why did ebay wait until the last minute to cancel?
Lesson learned...the hard way.

I never intended to mislead or keyword spam!!!!! I only reccently started to sell on ebay-although I have been a member for 7 yrs. So, I wasn't aware of the keyword spamming issue.
In fact the bag was only used once, it could very easily pass as a NWOT. But I wanted to be EXTRA honest and specific, so I figured LIKE NEW explains it.
I guess looking at it from a buyers perspective, yes it can mislead...yes its not a good description. But why did ebay wait until the last minute to cancel?
Lesson learned...the hard way.

Oh, I believe you! I never thought you intentially did anything wrong!!

I just think Sellers in general need to be more specific. Like I said, when I open up an auction and want to bid and read "Like New" I never bid on it, because to me its either New or its not New. If it was ever used once - its used period. You know?

Its like buying a car. Once you drive it off the lot, the value goes down. It is no longer considered "new", but "used" Even though its in prestine condition.

With all that said, Im very sorry eBay didnt give you a "heads up" or a "warning", since you werent doing anything intentional!! They could have just emailed you and said "please change this or that"

ebay marketing actually contacted me by phone and advised me that "like new" was not an option. I thought I was being singled out but was told I was randomly chosen. Allowing for the fact that they consider the phrasing inappropriate, why would they wait until auction's end to act? I hope your listing fee is refunded. I also wish ebay would get its act together.

Yes they did refund my listing fee.
Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the phrase LIKE NEW was VERY commonly used a few years ago on ebay?

I had NO idea that "like new" was considered keyword spamming... learn something new every day. I guess I can understand why, but they should have given you a warning or something instead of cancelling you in the last 40 minutes. Now the buyers who were bidding on your bag will shy away from bidding again because it was cancelled. I will def. be more careful with my desc. from now on... i have used that term before without a clue it wasn't allowed.

I had NO idea that "like new" was considered keyword spamming... learn something new every day. I guess I can understand why, but they should have given you a warning or something instead of cancelling you in the last 40 minutes. Now the buyers who were bidding on your bag will shy away from bidding again because it was cancelled. I will def. be more careful with my desc. from now on... i have used that term before without a clue it wasn't allowed.

Apparently ebay expects us to keep up to date with their policies and policy changes. Does anyone really do that?

I think it is bogus that you cannot say "like new." Buyers should know that if they don't want "like," all they need to do is filter that out. I swear, eb@y is becoming a Big Brother and is making me not want to sell there. Or buy, for that matter.

I think it is bogus that you cannot say "like new." Buyers should know that if they don't want "like," all they need to do is filter that out. I swear, eb@y is becoming a Big Brother and is making me not want to sell there. Or buy, for that matter.
I don't think it's bogus and I'm glad they do it. I also used to get mad when searching for something electronic and the title would say the name of the item and also it would say "Not such and such". Well I was searching for such and such and shouldn't have to wade through all the "not" such and such to find what I'm looking for. I'm SO SO glad they initiated the keyword spamming policy because of that. I shouldn't have to type -like just to make sure I'm getting only new items. How about the seller describing it accurately - it is used, not new. I know most people aren't trying to mislead, but it is misleading.

Apparently ebay expects us to keep up to date with their policies and policy changes. Does anyone really do that?

AAAHHH that must be why they have the policies posted on thier site for us to view and periodically review.. whoda thunk it? ;):roflmfao: LOL but seriously, I guess I should probably keep an eye on the changes though, since things are getting more and more restricted... It used to be all just common sense stuff... now it's just insane and next to impossible to list a perfectly "ebay legal" auction... It would be nice if they would shoot us all an email when they change things though, just as a heads up. JMO

another lesson learned today

:smile: Kristy

I don't think it's bogus and I'm glad they do it. I also used to get mad when searching for something electronic and the title would say the name of the item and also it would say "Not such and such". Well I was searching for such and such and shouldn't have to wade through all the "not" such and such to find what I'm looking for. I'm SO SO glad they initiated the keyword spamming policy because of that. I shouldn't have to type -like just to make sure I'm getting only new items. How about the seller describing it accurately - it is used, not new. I know most people aren't trying to mislead, but it is misleading.

Yeah, I agree with what you said - I too, got upset when that used to happen. I still don't agree with the "like new" thing but I guess in order to implement something, the line has to be drawn. It's just a small sacrifice in the end.

Whether or not we do it, it's our responsibiity. We agree to certain things when we sell on eBay. Kinda like it doesn't matter if I don't know it's illegal to do something random in a little po-dunk town. Ignorance is never an excuse. So, I would say yes, they do expect us to keep up to date with things. As a seller, it's my job and responsibility, even if I find it annoying. eBay drives me bonkers, but it's their website and they can run it however they want. No one forces me to use it.

I just wanted to add that I also prefer for sellers not to use 'like new' (sorry, don't want to offend) because when I search for 'new' I want 'new'.

I can see how it is keyword spamming, although I didn't even think of that. wow, their policies have gotten tight. still, pulling your listing so shortly before it came to an end is annoying.

what I wonder is: with certain brands it takes about 1 day for the listing to show up, right? and when you have a counter you can see that a number of people have viewed the listing (and I think Coach is also one of those brands). so why don't they take it down straight away?

My auctions were set to be up in a few hours and ebay took them down!!!! I didn't know it wasn't okay to say "like new!" I'm so sad, they were actually going for a decent price - this is unbelievable. Has this ever happened to you? Why did they wait until TODAY!!!! :cursing:

Nope, never has happened to me? I have a bag currently for sale with "like new" as the description because the bag is really "like new." Sorry eBay pulled your auctions. I never have heard of that happening before?

PS. Cute pug!