My Kitty Badly Hurt in Fight with Neighbours Cat

waterlilly2008

Apr 10, 2008
I have a gentle 6 year old half persian male cat:heart:, he has never even been in a fight until we move to this house (2 years ago). There is a large ginger tom that lives at the back of me that has picked on him a couple of times but he seems to have come out of these fights alright, he has lost one of his large front fangs. BUT some weeks ago now he was involved in a big fight with a neighbours burmese cat:tdown:, the next day he was walking strangely so I took him to the vet who looked him over and said that he had been badly bitten on his shoulder and elbow he was put on some antibiotics and I thought he would be fine. He did not get any better so back to the vets who did an xray just incase something was broken but everything was fine. Still he did not get any better so back again to the vets more antibiotics and pain killers, still no change by now he is only walking on three legs and he is really down in himself. So back to vets again and they start talking about bone infection so more xrays these come back showing definite infection around his elbow it is now very puffy and hot to the touch, again they put him on more antibiotics but nothing is working. Have just taken him back and they do not think that there is anything else they can do as he is obviously in alot of pain and can not weight bear on this leg so next week he has to go back to have his front leg amputated I am so sad he is so beautiful and gentle:sad:.

Has anybody else ever had this happen to one of there pets any information would be very gratefuly received:confused1:.

Sorry this had been so long but please think of him next Wednesday morning this is when he will be having the operation.

I'm so sorry for what is happening to your cat! It must be horrible for you to watch him being in pain, and I know just how bad it is.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and I still hope for a last minute miracle, but if not, I wish him a speedy recovery :heart:

Best wishes to your kitty for a speedy recovery!

Perhaps in the future, you shouldn't let him go outside unsupervised?

The world is a scary place for a sweet cat :sad:

I'm sorry to hear that your kitty got into a tussle with the neighborhood cats. Unfortunately, cat bites can be really nasty and can easily become infected. It's that Pastuerella bacteria that they have in their mouth.
As for your handsome boy losing his leg ... He will get along fine without it. Cats are amazingly resilient when it comes to these kinds of things. He will be fine. In fact, you will be amazed at how quickly he'll adapt. I wish him a speedy recovery and like Couturegirl said, please keep him indoors. Especially if the neighbor cats are so aggressive.

I am so sorry that this happened to your kitty. My cat, Sprout, had a tendency to slip through the doors as we are going in and out of the house--well one day he slipped out and he didn't come back for days!! Usually when he does this we could just call his name and he'd come running in.

Anyway, when he came back he was heavily panting/breathing and he had two huge gaping holes in his chest (seriously graphically disgusting) that were pussing like no other.

My mom being the "naturalist" that she is decided that we should wait it out for a few days and see if he heals himself..

Well, he didnt! So we took him to the vet where they had to put a tube in his chest for a few days to drain the liquid..

We felt so sorry for him and we're still not quite sure what happened or who he got into it with but thankfully he's okay and all better now!

And the moral of the story is, don't let your cat outside! lol.

I'm sorry that your kitty is hurting.
I couldn't agree more with the above statement.
I've never let my cats outside at all. However, I think that if people do opt to let their cats outdoors, they should not go unsupervised.
I think it's the only fool-proof way to be sure you have a healthy, happy, and safe kitty.

I'm so sorry, but at least he will be okay. I am sure he will learn to manage on three legs just fine and once the pain is gone he'll be back to normal. Best wishes for your kitty.

Thankyou all for your kind replies my cat was actually in his own garden when the neighbours cat came in and attacked him. I saw it all from the window but by the time I got outside and reached the cats (I am disabled)the damage had been done, I sorry I love all animals but that bl**dy cat is a very expensive pedigree I so wish the owner would keep him in, because the main reason he is so agressive is because he has not been spayed and thinks all the gardens are his territory. :cursing:

WL,
I'm so sorry your kitty has been injured so badly.

I have had experience with a beloved pet/amputee.

When I was a teenager, our one year old Persian cat leaped into the wheel of my Dad's exercise bike ( an airdyne with blades). It was horrible. A neighbor had to come over and help my dad dismantle the bike to free the cat. When my parents returned home from the vet that night, they told us that the kitty had to have his front leg amputated. At the time, I couldn't conceive how he would be able to manage like that.

Well, he lived a very long happy ( if not a little sedentary) life! With his long hair, most people never noticed he was missing a front leg until he would get up and sort of hobble around. Yet he could "hobble" very quickly when he chose to. He adapted quite well, was entertaining, hilarious and an all around great cat! ( We did always keep him indoors for his own safety. ) So, try to be brave for him, and just love him like you always have. You both are going to be ok!:flowers:

Oh my gosh how horrible. I am so sorry.

Cats have such filthy mouths that infections from their bites are really common.

My cats are completely indoor cats as there are just too many dangers outside for them.

ITA :yes:

I am sooooo sorry you have to go through this. Your kitty will be fine. Animals are way more resilient and tough than us humans.

I will be sending him jingles for a speedy recovery :flowers:

Hugs to you and your sweet cat! I am so sorry you are going through this. Your kitty would probably much rather be three-legged than in constant pain.

I've had outdoor cats get bad infections from bites before, it's one of the many dangers facing outdoor pets.

I do hope your neighbor is going to pay all of your cat's vet bills! I would never let my cat outside and this is one of the major reasons. Please take pictures and document the injury to your cat. You shouldn't have to pay for that when their cat was trespassing on your property. I am sorry to hear he is going to lose his leg but I have 2 cats that are missing a back leg each and they get around just fine. The male cat is always the one on the very top of his cat tree. Sending many healing thoughts to your kitty. And please keep him inside where he is safe.