My kitten keeps soiling herself...

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Warning: Please don't read this if you get grossed out easily.

We have come home three times to our kitten having fresh...or um...slightly dried...you know what...stuck to her.

This usually comes with a bit of the same stuff on the floor (about 10 ft away from the litter box) or on the door (the bathroom door to where their litter box is). But it never seems to be enough to be a "full load", just residue...you know what I mean?

She uses the litter box regularly/normally (so I know it's not a litter box problem as I see her using the litter box normally) and we had her see the vet twice (for shots and he did check ups both times) and he sees no problems. She's eating normally, drinking water, playing, and I see no sign of health issue with her.

Today it was bad...it was stuck to the side of her face :nogood: Luckily DH noticed it and I sniffed it (ew) before we snuggled up to her.

I've had to give her baths twice (once today) to get it off. The first time we could get it off with a wipe but the second times it just didn't do a good enough job.

We don't know what exactly could be causing it, but we've only ever run into this problem right after we come home. It never happens when we're at home and hanging out. We were thinking she probably freaks out when the car garage opens (it's quite loud) and she soils herself when she gets scared, or we just happen to always come home when she's in the litter box and she gets excited and forgets and rushes to the door.

Between the two cats she's probably less worried about her butt hygiene. My other cat keeps her bum really clean but with this one she waits awhile before she cleans herself (plus I have seen poop dried around her bum)

What do you think...? Has this ever happened to your cats?

Last edited:
How old was she when you got her?? It almost sounds like either she was a runt and got ignored, or she was taken from the Mom too early before she was taught to clean herself.

having fostered many kittens.. i've learned that they are pretty messy when it comes to the litter box. they step in it... they get a little too carried away with trying to cover it and end up with it everywhere... (bless their little hearts for trying to cover it completely lol). and i noticed that when they're that young, their little behinds are very close to the litter when they're doing their thing - usually it appears as though their bottoms are touching the litter slightly.

right now i currently have a set of three 5-6 month old kittens. normally i have them until 2 months old max. so when i first saw these kittens use the litter box i said "YAY!! no squishy kitten poop!" haha
but they still have a tendency to step in it.

How old was she when you got her?? It almost sounds like either she was a runt and got ignored, or she was taken from the Mom too early before she was taught to clean herself.

She was only about 10 weeks when I got her. They were rescue kittens removed from their mother at about 5 weeks because the lady who owned the mom couldn't keep them. The other kitten is fine though, she keeps herself very clean. Although for these instances I'm not sure if it's just a matter of keeping herself clean... it a wipe can't remove it or the smell of it, I doubt she could do any of a better job!

having fostered many kittens.. i've learned that they are pretty messy when it comes to the litter box. they step in it... they get a little too carried away with trying to cover it and end up with it everywhere... (bless their little hearts for trying to cover it completely lol). and i noticed that when they're that young, their little behinds are very close to the litter when they're doing their thing - usually it appears as though their bottoms are touching the litter slightly.

right now i currently have a set of three 5-6 month old kittens. normally i have them until 2 months old max. so when i first saw these kittens use the litter box i said "YAY!! no squishy kitten poop!" haha
but they still have a tendency to step in it.

That sounds exactly like Sammie, she's all black and is often covered in litter when she comes out (halfway up her legs, on her face, sometimes on her tail). Good to hear that mine isn't the only weirdo.... :smile:

She was only about 10 weeks when I got her. They were rescue kittens removed from their mother at about 5 weeks because the lady who owned the mom couldn't keep them. The other kitten is fine though, she keeps herself very clean. Although for these instances I'm not sure if it's just a matter of keeping herself clean... it a wipe can't remove it or the smell of it, I doubt she could do any of a better job!

That sounds exactly like Sammie, she's all black and is often covered in litter when she comes out (halfway up her legs, on her face, sometimes on her tail). Good to hear that mine isn't the only weirdo.... :smile:

yea you might just have a kitten that likes to play or lay in the litter ;) They tend to do that. When i first got the foster kittens I currently have, i found one trying to get a piece of poop OUT of the litter box so she could play with it.

I also have my very own adult cat who LOVES to roll around in the litter that has gotten outside of the litter box. So lots of times I will find him covered in cat litter.

some kitties are just a little more special ;)

...They were rescue kittens removed from their mother at about 5 weeks

thats a little too soon to be removing kittens from their mom. if you want to help your kitty have better hygiene you are going to have to mimic her mothers behavior and pick up where she left off. get a wet paper towel and clean her bottom with short quick strokes just like her mother would (don't be surprised though if this stimulation causes her to poop or pee). get another clean, wet paper towel and "lick" her with it on different parts of her body. she will instinctively begin to lick her wet fur and that will teach her how to clean herself.