My Kitten Has A Hernia (Really Need Your Experiences)

TheWinglessBird

Elegance Is Refusal
Nov 24, 2007
So my babies are off to be neutured on Wednesday, but one of them is going to be having a slightly more complicated surgery. My Honey has a Hernia.

We discovered this a long time ago & brought this to the vets attention immediately. The vet has assured us that it is minor, I asked him how serious a Hernia is (frightened for the life of my baby), & he said it was a common procedure.

So just how common is it?

These kittens are only 4 months old, although I completely know about the 6 month wait, I also know that kittens can be desexed the moment they show enough sign of 'snippage'. We are eager to have this done as our male kittens are gorgeous & would like them to keep their looks, before they start growing into & looking more like big tom cats (in most cases, not so cute).

I have no idea how this procedure is performed, how complex it is, its risks & its after effects.

I would die if anything happened to this kitten. I love him so, which exactly why we had to keep him once fostering his brothers & mommy.

He was the smallest of the litter(we thought he was a girl), gentle, 'knowing' (we like to say) & spent his first 2 weeks healing a scratched eye.

Pleeeease tell me everything about your experiences with (kitten) hernia surgery. I realllllyyy hope there's someone out there who can reply.

Thank you in advance,

4loi20.png

Although I've no idea of what hernia is but if the vet said that it's a common procedure, it shouldn't something risky. So don't worry too much. Hope everything turns out fine and good luck. :smile:

My sister's cat (female) had a hernia that was preventing her from putting on weight and they fixed it when she was spayed and all was fine.

I'm sure all will go just fine with your furbaby.

I think I just freaked myself out by trying to find a little information online, but I really have no clue about hernias in cats or people. The fact that our vet said it's only 'minor' made me immediately think 'oh! well it's nothing!' but the more I think about it, the more I think about my kitten having more than just his nutts tampered with, it's really making me queezy. He's just a baby furrball.

Thank god it's only the one time he'll have to be put under anasthetic. Maybe if I just think of this as if it were just a neutering session...

If you are not happy with the way your veterinarian explained the procedure to you or you feel you want more details, ask! Your veterinarian should be happy to give you a very thorough and detailed explanation of the procedure. Do not hesitate to ask questions! Your veterinarian is a wealth of information (that is why s/he went to school for all those years).
Please do yourself a favor, do not rely on what you get on the internet about any kind of medical advice. A lot of what is posted is the worst case scenario and can be posted by pseudo-experts. That kind of stuff will just get you worked up and anxious over something that is probably not very likely to happen at all.

My cat Stitch had a hernia repair and neutered at the same time when I adopted him hence the name Stitch. He was 3 months old. The only complication were the stitches making sure he didn't lick it and keeping it clean clear of infections. He is 2 years old now and you would never know he had a hernia repair. The only thing is the fur on his belly where they shaved him is a different color and texture. Don't worry about it once your kitty has the surgery he will be OK. But I agree with aklein don't hesitate to ask questions until your satisfied with the answers and if you not then maybe go to a different vet? The internet can be very dangerous with a lot of misinformation. I would be careful what you read off of it.

Don't worry about it :biggrin: it really is a very little procedure, basically just a little stiching to close up the hole in the abdomen that is the hernia. Your kitten will be just fine :biggrin:

So my babies are off to be neutured on Wednesday, but one of them is going to be having a slightly more complicated surgery. My Honey has a Hernia.

We discovered this a long time ago & brought this to the vets attention immediately. The vet has assured us that it is minor, I asked him how serious a Hernia is (frightened for the life of my baby), & he said it was a common procedure.

So just how common is it?

These kittens are only 4 months old, although I completely know about the 6 month wait, I also know that kittens can be desexed the moment they show enough sign of 'snippage'. We are eager to have this done as our male kittens are gorgeous & would like them to keep their looks, before they start growing into & looking more like big tom cats (in most cases, not so cute).

I have no idea how this procedure is performed, how complex it is, its risks & its after effects.

I would die if anything happened to this kitten. I love him so, which exactly why we had to keep him once fostering his brothers & mommy.

He was the smallest of the litter(we thought he was a girl), gentle, 'knowing' (we like to say) & spent his first 2 weeks healing a scratched eye.

Pleeeease tell me everything about your experiences with (kitten) hernia surgery. I realllllyyy hope there's someone out there who can reply.

Thank you in advance,

It is so sweet I can feel the love, thousand of miles away (in Dubai) :hugs:
Good luck and please keep us posted

I think I just freaked myself out by trying to find a little information online, but I really have no clue about hernias in cats or people. The fact that our vet said it's only 'minor' made me immediately think 'oh! well it's nothing!' but the more I think about it, the more I think about my kitten having more than just his nutts tampered with, it's really making me queezy. He's just a baby furrball.

Thank god it's only the one time he'll have to be put under anasthetic. Maybe if I just think of this as if it were just a neutering session...

I always do that so before desexing my 2 cats I made sure not to read any online articles :smile:

Please stay positive

Welps! They have gone! My little babies are currently at the vets being opt on as I speak.

Honey puked up twice last night which has never ever happened before. He was comforted by his mommy & brother as they all snoozed at the end of my bed. Cleo (mommy) would not let him leave her sight.

I am really hoping this isn't hernia-related & although still crappy, just swallowed something he shouldn't have!

Honey & brother were chasing eachother like crazy this morning, up & off beds & up & down stairs, so he's definetly not in any discomfort & left very lively.

Thank you so much for your replies & comforting words, they truely comforted me last night & I've felt better, alot calmer ever since.

You are very right in that most information found on the internet tend to be worst case scenarios! I don't know why I do it. I should really know better.

Thank you so much, girls. :heart:

^^ Hope everything went well!

My puppy had a hernia and he, too, was the "runt' of the litter. He had the surgery about a year and a half ago, and he has been fine since! I'm sure it will all be ok!!

My baby kitty has a hernia, but she is only six weeks old. She keeps running a fever. I don't think we can wait until she is old enough to spay. I'm scared and don't know what to do

A hernia would not cause a fever. Sounds like your kitty has some kind of infection and surgery would not be a good idea at this time, not only because of age but because of the fever.

Kittens can be fixed when they reach a certain weight. I believe it is 3 pounds. My Maine **** was fixed at 4 months as he was almost 5 pounds. Hernia surgery is very minor especially when it is done with a neuter. Then they only have to go under once. I will keep you little guy in my thoughts. I do agree with the others about having your vet explain things so you understand and don't have to worry excessively.