My journey with Jumbo

Jul 27, 2010
I bought this black caviar with ghw jumbo more than 10 years but only carry it less than 5 times I think
The reason I seldom carry it because I feel it’s too flashy and look big on me (I’m only 157cm tall). I did consider to get medium flap last time but I choose jumbo for more space reason and can wear crossbody.
Lately I have a thought to sell it since I don’t use it much and latest trend is small or mini bag. However I scared I will regret as I will never get the bag again due to the price point.
I keep the bag all the years inside a box and surprisingly the bag still look excellent, no peeling. Only zipper got small issue.
I started to carry it since yesterday due to Chinese new year and I suddenly fall in love with it. The bag is versatile and practical although a bit heavy.
I decided to keep it and use it as often as possible. Thanks for letting me share and do tell me the jumbo will not go out of style anytime. It’s classic!

177F6E47-2E8B-4076-A582-5309EA420EFC.jpeg

C07CC60A-D482-49A1-89C0-D53182F46C5C.jpeg

C0C7A78B-76CF-4F38-88C8-5FA55D616740.jpeg

I think it's gorgeous!
As far as the size trends, those always come and go, but a beautiful bag is a beautiful bag, no matter what! Besides, "trends" are one thing, but I would say that bag size doesn't really matter as much as how it's appearance goes with the outfit overall and what purpose it serves with the outfit. Sometimes you need a larger bag, either for aesthetics or for function (or both). Besides, this is one of those classics that never goes out of style!

It's really cool that you fell in love with it after all this time! I love that.

Agree that bag trends come and go and you can never go wrong with a classic. I got my jumbo flap about 15 years ago and like you, considered selling it a while ago when I felt like I wasn’t using it much. Even got introduced to a friend’s friend who was interested in it and she told me she would get in touch when she was ready. She never did and I just held on to it, and so glad I did - especially seeing how prices have gone up through the years! Mine was probably among the last batch of classic flaps that still featured 24K gold - a fact that I didn’t realize until recently! Even years on, the bag still looks pristine. Enjoy your purse!

I love the jumbo. I think it’s a very usable size and is timeless in my eyes.

And I agree about the size trend always shifting around. It’s actually quite entertaining if you search “227 perfect size” under the Chanel string on TPF. Even though the 227 doesn’t align with the current small bag trend whatsoever, it’s amazing just how many times over the years people declared that it was, in fact, the perfect size, particularly around 2008. There were endless comments that the bag was never even in stock anywhere. Then the tide seemed to turn by around 2014ish as it appeared that people began to pay attention to the smaller bags. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I feel like the trend is just starting to shift again (very very early stage…I think we are still very much entrenched in the small bag trend). I feel like I’m reading more and more comments from people who are tired of playing bag Tetris all day long or having to hold their phones separately when carrying the micro, mini and nano sized bags. I’ve also noticed the maxi CF selling more quickly on the resale sites (they used to just sit there forever and ever) - perhaps because with the price increases people are recognizing that the resale maxis and jumbos a bargains compared to retail, whereas the tiny bags often sell for a premium, but who knows. Bottom line, I think you’re so smart to hold onto the jumbo, especially now that you have rekindled your love affair with the bag (or perhaps, launched your love affair for the very first time, even). It’s a true classic and I wouldnt be surprised if the jumbo is one of the most desired Chanel bags in another 5+ years.

Jumbo is a classic beauty. I am glad you decided to keep yours. Trends come and go. You should do what your heart wants and what you enjoy using the most. I understand we are downsizing everything now including our wallets but this means there is more space in your bag to carry whatever you want or you can just keep it light. Jumbo size looks so chic on jeans, blazer, with slip on shoes or sneakers mostly for casual use. I am also noticing a lot of people carrying it while traveling in airport in place of totes. I love my Jumbo and I can never imagine selling it and then re buying it at the current price!

Your jumbo is stunning!! I’m so glad you decided to keep it! I bought a jumbo c.5 years ago and it had a fault, so I returned it and purchased a reissue 227 instead (which I absolutely adore!!). But part of me wishes I should have rebought a jumbo too at that time when they were so much cheaper… sigh. I am debating purchasing a jumbo but I’m trying to limit myself and sadly I’m already over my limit for the first 6m of 2023. But jumbo is always on my mind and when I see someone looking fantastic on the st with a jumbo I’m soooo tempted. It’s definitely on my must haves for this year and I am so jealous of yours! So happy you decided to keep it - it is so chic.

Jumbo has never gone out of style, it has become very expensive limiting buyers IMO. I love my Jumbo, always have. You mention peeling? I have had mine for a few years still looks like new? Why would peeling be an issue?

I bought this black caviar with ghw jumbo more than 10 years but only carry it less than 5 times I think
The reason I seldom carry it because I feel it’s too flashy and look big on me (I’m only 157cm tall). I did consider to get medium flap last time but I choose jumbo for more space reason and can wear crossbody.
Lately I have a thought to sell it since I don’t use it much and latest trend is small or mini bag. However I scared I will regret as I will never get the bag again due to the price point.
I keep the bag all the years inside a box and surprisingly the bag still look excellent, no peeling. Only zipper got small issue.
I started to carry it since yesterday due to Chinese new year and I suddenly fall in love with it. The bag is versatile and practical although a bit heavy.
I decided to keep it and use it as often as possible. Thanks for letting me share and do tell me the jumbo will not go out of style anytime. It’s classic!

View attachment 5697886

View attachment 5697887

View attachment 5697888
I think you made the right decision of keeping your jumbo! :tup: Jumbo is my all-time favorite, regardless of the trend. :love:

I love my jumbo a lot more than my medium cf! My first Chanel was a dark beige medium cf. I thought it was too small so I saved up and bought a jumbo cf in 2015 while in Milan. I use it at least 5x yearly, especially on the first day of festivities cos it's large enough to fit in my thick bundles of angbaos while still having room for my ocase, phone, tissue and compact powder.

Like you, I also had the thought of selling it last year but was on the fence about it. I didn't want to have that regret later on and only to purchase it again at a higher price resale or brand new.

For mine, the caviar leather on the outside has soften due to the mistake I made by following youtube advice to condition it (still pains my heart). But thank goodness it's still structured!

Anyways, I hope you'll enjoy using your jumbo!
PSX_20230129_174650.jpg

Good choice, definitely keep! Agree with what others have said about trends, and what AnnaLou mentioned about the outfit.

I know some people find the idea of cost-per-wear helpful. But it can also pressure people to feel like they shouldn't keep a bag, unless they carry it X times per year. I think whether you carry it often or occasionally, it's ok to keep a bag that you love.

I'm glad you're in love with it again and wearing it as often as you please!