My issues with buying a Speedy LV bag or not - HELP!

pinkdiamonds

Nov 2, 2011
OK - I wanted the LV bag recently and was going to buy it but they were out of stock. We went to the LV store and I saw it in person but I'm not sure what to do. The zipper was not smooth (and I would expect it to be THE BEST zipper for over $1k! )My Dooney bags are all made so well and the zippers are durable and smooth. My bags have solid feet on the bottom and the handles have enough room to put on your arm, with a coat. The speedy handles, you can't get it over your wrist if ur wearing a coat. I tried. The zipper was rough in one part and the 2nd bag i saw wasn't much better. Maybe they are cranking them out for the holidays?
I want to want the bag again. I was sooo excited, but after seeing the quality, i was put off, especially when I can buy a Dooney for $250 and know i'm getting quality. What should I do? What do you think???

I'll let ya know as my Speedy is arriving tomorrow! This has been my dream bag for over 20 years! Just now I'm coming into financial stability so I can afford to indulge a bit. I hope the zipper is smooth! Geez, I never thought that it may not be.....Anyway, I'll pop back tomorrow after she arrives and tell ya what I think :biggrin:

I think if you have doubts you shouldn't get the speedy. I've had mine for 4 years and I constantly go back to it. Hand held bags can be cumbersome so I carry something else on the occasions when I prefer a shoulder bag. The speedy doesn't have feet or a lot of compartments. It is a basic bag but I like how the 30 fills up and I can find everything. The zipper should be smooth, if it feels rough, I'd ask for another.

If you have doubt, I would hold off on it. I call my speedy the bottomless pit LOL just because it carries so much, and I mostly carry it in the rain ( I have the speedy ebene) when I don't want to use my Chanel's.

The zipper should be smooth, and zip effortlessly.

now i want it again, just not sure with strap or without!!!! help

If you are going to carry it daily and use it as your main go to bag, I'd get the one with the strap. That way you can switch it from handheld to shoulder as needed. There have been several times I wish I had the one with the strap. Good luck to you!

Those bags must've been defective--I have seven Speedys and all the zippers run smoothly and are not rough. And they're all different ages- ranging from 2003 to brand new. But depending on how thick your coat is or how many layers you wear- it might be a snug fit to carry it on your arm.

I wouldn't let that stop me though if I truly loved the bag. When I lived up north I had a lot of different coats--only the really bulky ones would make the bag annoying to carry. :smile: And, you can look at it this way--you can carry the bag comfortably the other 75% of the year!! Plus, every time I bought my second favorite bag I always craved my original bag and ended up getting it anyway--so I spent twice the money!

I'm not really a fan of the Speedy B--I tried it on and it seemed kind of scrunched and folded up --pulled up at either end where the strap was and didn't look nice- even with all my stuff inside. Plus I didn't care for the extra vachetta --I felt the handles and tabs alone were enough to worry about!

Those bags must've been defective--I have seven Speedys and all the zippers run smoothly and are not rough. And they're all different ages- ranging from 2003 to brand new. But depending on how thick your coat is or how many layers you wear- it might be a snug fit to carry it on your arm.

I wouldn't let that stop me though if I truly loved the bag. When I lived up north I had a lot of different coats--only the really bulky ones would make the bag annoying to carry. :smile: And, you can look at it this way--you can carry the bag comfortably the other 75% of the year!! Plus, every time I bought my second favorite bag I always craved my original bag and ended up getting it anyway--so I spent twice the money!

I'm not really a fan of the Speedy B--I tried it on and it seemed kind of scrunched and folded up --pulled up at either end where the strap was and didn't look nice- even with all my stuff inside. Plus I didn't care for the extra vachetta --I felt the handles and tabs alone were enough to worry about!

7 Speedys! Wow! What sizes are they? You must truely love this bag!

7 Speedys! Wow! What sizes are they? You must truely love this bag!

I didn't plan on having so many originally but I started off with 25's in mono and azur. I "upgraded" to 30's and finally 35's--selling the others to fund the new ones. I have mono, azur, and ebene 35's, one ebene 30, black and white mc, and my HG--the white wc speedy 35!
I actually do use all of them though --I tended to grab them over other heavier bags that I ended up selling. :smile:

I have the Mono Speedy 25 - the zipper is broken on it (it was used when I bought it) but I rarely zip my bags anyway. I have the Cerise Speedy 25 and the zipper is smooth, this was purchased Pre-loved, I have an Ebene speedy 35 purchased new with smooth zippers, I also have the gold Miroir Speedy purchased new which is my holiday bag - that zipper is tough but it's because of the material. I have the Monogramoflauge <--spelling?which was purchased new speedy which has a smooth zipper. I have the Multicolor speedy purchase new which also has a smooth zipper. So, I have all kinds of speedies and the zipper SHOULD be smooth. If it's not, DON'T GET IT. You should be happy when you buy the bag. As far as the handles goes, I can't help you there, I live in Arizona, so I rarely have a "coat" on and IF it gets cold enough for me to need a jacket (Normally it's a Juicy hoodie, just for size reference) I carry my speedy in my hand. Hope my little paragraph helps!

I totally understand the problem with the speedy and a winter coat. I just switched to my winter coat and am going to have to switch bags now, too. They just don't work together.

But, I still love the speedy, just not in the winter.

I didn't plan on having so many originally but I started off with 25's in mono and azur. I "upgraded" to 30's and finally 35's--selling the others to fund the new ones. I have mono, azur, and ebene 35's, one ebene 30, black and white mc, and my HG--the white wc speedy 35!
I actually do use all of them though --I tended to grab them over other heavier bags that I ended up selling. :smile:

OK question for you then...do you have any color transfer issues with your azur? I wear dark jeans alot so Im afraid it would rub off. My SA said yes it will, but others say no? I really love the azur pattern and would love to get one for summer. I just purchased the ebene 30 after trying on both. I thought the 35 was too big for me (as a handheld), but the 30 seems a little of a tight fit! I wish they made a 33! lol! I just got it delivered today and it came with the lock already attached to both ends so I cant open the bag...and no keys! I'll bet they are inside the bag :smile: LV has to send me out a new lock and key set now. So I cant use her until it gets here :sad: I would die for a WC Speedy!!! Which pattern do you like the best, besides the WC?

speedy first over your wrist, perhaps not your coat depending on how thick it is ... its a handbag!

As for the zipper, its new and may have to be worked in. I have to say all my speedys have been used other the my denim and its kind of stiff.
I dont use it often so that could be why....

if you're looking for something to fit over your wrist/coat i would suggest a trovili(sp) its got longer handles then a speedy, its a great shape and comes in both a pm and gm ,

OK - I wanted the LV bag recently and was going to buy it but they were out of stock. We went to the LV store and I saw it in person but I'm not sure what to do. The zipper was not smooth (and I would expect it to be THE BEST zipper for over $1k! )My Dooney bags are all made so well and the zippers are durable and smooth. My bags have solid feet on the bottom and the handles have enough room to put on your arm, with a coat. The speedy handles, you can't get it over your wrist if ur wearing a coat. I tried. The zipper was rough in one part and the 2nd bag i saw wasn't much better. Maybe they are cranking them out for the holidays?
I want to want the bag again. I was sooo excited, but after seeing the quality, i was put off, especially when I can buy a Dooney for $250 and know i'm getting quality. What should I do? What do you think???

Well my Speedy arrived today. Not sure if the zipper works OK or not because the bag came with both ends locked together so I cant open it! Oh! And did I mention, NO KEYS??!! Yikes LV, get it together already! They are sending me out a new lock and key set now! :lol: