My husband discovered my new Coach...

Everyone runs their household differently, we have friends that split up all their money into separate accounts and pay bills like college roommates do. We think that is kinda odd but who are we to criticize?

I think you did the right thing by not buying a fake bag and I would just talk to your DH about the fact that you are feeling hard times because you are working as much as you can and you are still having hard times.

I know that my DH would give up his freelance stuff in order to get a steady income to help us out during those times because WE are more important to him than HE is to himself, and whether you like it or not, if you are pulling in all the cash and it is still difficult, you are going to feel the pressure. TRUST me, I have been there. And there is nothing more you can do besides going to work. :heart:

My DH and I agreed that as long as the bills are paid, and we stay within our "allowance" amount, that we can buy whatever we want without question. If we want something that costs more than our allowance amount, then we talk about it. He doesn't like my bag addiction but I don't like his video game addiction, so this avoids the argument about our "stupid" purchases.

This system probably wouldn't work for everyone but it does for us.

LOL.....no that's exactly right.
Except video games aren't stupid to either of us...hahahhaha...cause we both buy them!!!
But he doesn't see my clothes/shoes/bag obsession as dumb just as I don't see his fishing stuff as dumb. We call it each others "SANITY", HAHA :roflmfao:

Husband and I have seperate checking accounts and seperate credit cards, it's been this way for years...he has no idea how much I pay for my bags. If he knew I paid $428 for a bag and $200 for a Bleecker wallet he would be shocked and sickened I'm sure. So I surely do not tell him ! lol. He was with me one time when I bought a bag, not a Coach ( tooled black leather with a longhorn silver decoration on it , I wear it with my western boots and jeans) and I paid $150 for that...he thought THAT was bad, if he only knew......That's alright, one time he paid $5000 for quadrunner without consulting me and I did not want him to buy, he ended up hurting himself on it and sold it ( of course he lost about $2000 on it)....what they don't know won't hurt them. My husband see's my Coach bag but he has no idea what Coach is or what it costs.
Long ago I got tired of answering for every ATM withdrawl and him asking "what was this for" so I opened my own accounts. I pay the mortgage from my wages and he pays utilities and car insurance etc. It works well for us.

My dh only asks that I keep less than 10 bags and don't buy a new one without selling one off. We also have an "allowance" that we both save up on our own which is ours to do as we please. Outside of this allowance I am not to use our funds for handbag purchases. (and he's not to use our funds for his 'toys' either) We have an agreement and we have no issues as long as we both keep to our word. It is a trust issue and like the OP found out, sometimes it isn't the purchase itself but underlying concerns that are the problem. I'm glad OP that things got worked out!

I am new to Coach. My husband golfs. I have bought 2 bags so far. He hasn't said anything. Good thing. I keep track of how much he spends on golf then I get to buy a bag. We have been married 23 years. In the past I would NEVER have bought a bag that cost $200. He has been golfing for about 8 months now. That is not a cheep sport. I do not say a word about his golf. He better not say a word about my bags.

Sometimes my hubby doesnt get it but then other times he does. He is helping pick out my next bag purchase for the PCE. He likes to help but he also does not support a new bag every month. He knows my hampton hobo cannot carry all the things sometimes I need it to carry. So he makes me justify the purchase before I can get it.

Husband and I have seperate checking accounts and seperate credit cards, it's been this way for years.

My husband and I do the same thing. We agreed before we were married we would have seperate bank accounts. It is wonderful. He takes out a certain out every payday and the rest is mine to spend anyway I want. I love it. My shopping sprees have been saved because of this. :tup:

P.S. My family thought it was a bad idea but they can never go on shopping sprees or anything now everyone thinks its a good idea.

I have to say that my husband may not understand my bag addiction because I dont understand it myself ...as I go way over board "BUT" he is wonderful and drives me 3-4 hours away just to let me shop and buy my bags... some times I do order but love trying them on, etc and I do not work out side the home but do re-sale them some times on ebay to support my bad habits.
I can understand you DH being in shock with the price because it seems high but if he had me for a wife he would be glad to spend just 200-300 on a bag because I have spent 2000 before on one and I am not rich my any means at all.
Just give him a little time to warm up to this as my DH use to think Dooney & Bourke was high but I am know buying Balenciaga, LV, Coach, Etc and he doesnt say any thing about it... he knows better, lol :smile:

My SO is completely understanding. I was into Coach before I met him. He says he'll buy something "if it makes me happy". He actually buys me most of my stuff. To me its kind of like its what I like, its a part of who I am, I was carrying Coach before it became so popular (about six years ago). He buys video games, cds, and dvds... I buy bags.

Im pretty sure you're husband is just mad because you didn't tell him... you kinda went behind his back. I would jsut talk to him and try to come to a comprimise. Something like a bag "budget" and a "budget" for something he likes.

Also I would advice you to not bring up that ur the one who works because he will probably become defense and think you are throwing it in his face.

My hubby is a big fan of Coach... haha.. mostly because it's "cheaper" than the brands I'd love to buy. Right now I'm no longer working (SAHM) so I can't buy Fendi and LV like I used to, so Coach is a happy medium for us both. When I start working again, I'd love to get my hands on Chanel or Hermes... I'm pretty sure the hubby won't be too supportive of that at all.

He lets me buy what I want, and he generally doesn't say anything since he knows I won't spend money that we don't have. It's just hard because there's soooo much we're saving up for that we don't have a lot of disposable income anymore. Still, I was able to spend $1,000 on Coach on Black Friday and he bought me a large Carly for my birthday, so I've been "Coached" out this month alone.