My horrible day...kitty taken to pound

Twiggers, don't let some here make you feel guilty. I truely know what the cat pee'ing thing is like :yes: . I know you love the kitty and its really difficult to have your possessions that you've worked for (if thats the case) to be ruined and damaged over and over.

If you decide that you just can't get her back, I think its a great idea to look on Petfinder and some other sites that may be able to give her a home. Otherwise can you ck around for no kill shelters? Your in Indiana right? I'll ck the net to see what I can find for you. ;)

Hi eds...yes pet refuge is near me...they are the one with the 4 month waiting list.
I just woke and am going to call (I think they open at 9...the humane society) shortly.

And wow to all the posting on page 4 of the thread!
Everyone is entitled to their opinions I guess :smile:

twiggers said:
I just woke and am going to call (I think they open at 9...the humane society) shortly.
Just wanted to wish you luck in getting the kitty back! I'm sure you'll have no problem. :flowers:

Our local humane society told me that once we relinquish a pet, we are unable to reclaim it. Stupidest thing I ever heard! We have a Rotweiller that appeared at our house and when I called to ask about taking her in, they told me that I had to claim ownership of the dog (even though she was a stray) -- when I asked if I could have her back if nobody adopted her, they told me NO. We kept her.

twoharleygal said:
Just wanted to wish you luck in getting the kitty back! I'm sure you'll have no problem. :flowers:

Our local humane society told me that once we relinquish a pet, we are unable to reclaim it. Stupidest thing I ever heard! We have a Rotweiller that appeared at our house and when I called to ask about taking her in, they told me that I had to claim ownership of the dog (even though she was a stray) -- when I asked if I could have her back if nobody adopted her, they told me NO. We kept her.

Thats so silly that they wont let you have her back in a situation like that! :rolleyes:
I can see how shelters wouldnt let people keep handing animals in and then taking them back though. Its a adoption center and not a boarding facility. Twiggers situation is a little different - so I really hope they let her have her baby back. :flowers: Good luck with everything!

Twiggers,
Sorry about your problem. If you can get the cat back, she might be completely freaked out after spending the night in the shelter. I fostered a dog with "issues" before and we tried this pheromone product to calm him down. It did help. Here is the link to the equivalent cat product:
PetSmart - Comfort Zone® with Feliway® Plug-In and Refills

I would recommend keeping the cat confined to one room, as others have suggested, especially after the shelter experience. Good luck.
Tami

Please Twiggers! Go back and get your cat!! If you have the resources, take her to the vet and see if her problem is chemical or behavioral. I have two cats and one of them has a pee issue and I try to tolerate it and be patient. There is no excuse for ruined furniture, etc, but you chose to have her as a pet, you should take care of her. I am sorry for what you are going through!! Hugs!!

well....I called this morning and spoke to someone. They told me that when you drop an animal off that you are relinquishing ownership (I did sign something yesterday...it was a small piece of paper where they took down her name, my name/adress/phone, etc.) and they cannot give me any information on her status, etc.
They told me to come in during adoption hours and I can walk through to see if I can find her and that they would discuss whether I would have to pay adoption fees, etc. to get her back.
Adoption hours aren't until 12 PM my time.
They were pretty rude....there must be others who do the same thing as me and regret it!

twiggers said:
well....I called this morning and spoke to someone. They told me that when you drop an animal off that you are relinquishing ownership (I did sign something yesterday...it was a small piece of paper where they took down her name, my name/adress/phone, etc.) and they cannot give me any information on her status, etc.
They told me to come in during adoption hours and I can walk through to see if I can find her and that they would discuss whether I would have to pay adoption fees, etc. to get her back.
Adoption hours aren't until 12 PM my time.
They were pretty rude....there must be others who do the same thing as me and regret it!

I've been following this thread since last night. That's too bad that they won't give you any info. I hope you'll be able to get her back.

Hey Twiggers, hang in there! You were in a tough situation. When I was younger I had a cat that would pee on things out of spite, seriously. If we left town, she would pee on as many things as she could find, and break things, knock things down off shelves. And she would bite, she was mean. We called the Humane Society to get advice about her bad behavior and the Humane Society told us to bring her in and get a well-behaved cat instead! They said that there are too many wonderful pets out there to be aggravated by a bad one, and it's difficult to break cats of bad habits (I'm not condoning this advice, it's just what we were told!). We didn't do it, we eventually gave the mean cat to another family who adored her, despite the fact that she never got any nicer and would regularly (by which I mean every week) go to the bathroom in their shoes! But we did get another cat from the Humane Society who was a sweetie.

You can try to get your kitty back and place her in a home where she'll be happier, but don't feel bad if you really need to find her a new home. There's a family out there to love her, she just needs to find them!

I feel for you. I have had both problems. A cat that peed outside the litterbox because of physical problems and one for behavioral. But my sister-in-law had one that sounded the most similar to yours and her cat would mark the new house whenever they moved and if you don't get the scent removed well enough they keep returning to the same spot. In one area of her carpet she had to lift up the carpet and varnish/seal the wood underneath to eliminate the odor and get the cat to stop going there. My 10 year old Sophie will use the litterbox unless I have left plastic on the floor somewhere- like a shopping back or shipping plastic. If she finds it she pees on it. It's kind of funny, I just have to be diligent not to leave plastic on the floor. Just an example of the fact that you are going to have to do some detective work if you get kitty back. Every cat is an individual and has their own quirks- my Simon in my avatar bites me if I don't feed him when he thinks he should eat- just a quick nip and run.

Twiggers-- I completely feel your pain... I'm almost at my wits end with my male cat. He pees on the floor, sheds my couch, chairs, curtains, steals food from my kids!, won't let his sister eat (we have to close him up in the bathroom so our poor girl cat won't starve)... He has had urinary problems in the past and has had very expensive surgery-- but he still does all those things! I have said on many days (after I arrive home and find shredded napkins, bits of crackers, bread, even poptarts!!,) he's going to a shelter!! The only thing stopping me is my kids LOVE this cat! He acts like he's one of the boys and seems to think he's a dog! Hmmm-- losing my point here.... just wanted to say I completely understand and feel your pain!

Ok, it's almost noon. Just go out and stand your ground and demand your cat. Unfortunately, you may have to pay fees. This is a major problem with the spca -- they are RUDE. Since they are a govt. agency (not a private shelter like the one where I work) they HAVE to take everyone's cast-offs and they don't really care much about "customer service."

But it shouldn't be too late. Just go and get her and find a no-kill shelter. I can completely understand you having to give her up -- I think we all sympathize with you in that.:yes: Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand that the majority of "pounds" are not happy places where kitties find new homes, but are, in fact, death traps.

But in the meantime, I hope you can save her life and get her to safety. It's a shame that this thread got a little nasty when the only thing that really matters is that you get her back and get her into a safe new home so that she, you, and your family, can all get some peace:love: