My friend only wants Amex for status????

m8875

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
So I was wondering if I'm the only one who finds this a bit weird and urghhh disgusting...my friend got amex gold and he keeps spending a lot on it just so that it gets upgraded to the platinum. He doesn't think the benefits are that great for him but he said "I want it because people look at you differently when you have platinum"....Not to mention he told me he has debt on his other non-amex credit cards from stupid spending 3 years ago. Now he finally got it and keeps talking about it which is just plain annoying. I told him I had platinum few years ago and feels I don't get treated differently and it's not a big deal. Charge card is just meant for me not to have to carry cash that's the primary benefit for me. I don't care what the color is and not going to just going to get credit card solely for status. KWIM?? Anyone find this just plain weird or annoying? LOL sorry for rant...

I don't know. I'd assume people would be much more impressed with a purchase put entirely on debit, paid with cold cash (though that's annoying - the cashier has to count it at the end of the night! Please, do not pay your $800 bill in $20s & $10s!) versus it all put on CC.

To put it simply, anyone with a job or a co-signer can put stuff on CC, one would think they'd look more ballin' carrying wads of $100s with them, P.Diddy style.

I can understand putting stuff on CC for the benefits - if the benefits are that good. My SO, is one of those annoying people who puts even his Starbucks & Timmy Ho's on his AMEX to get the points (this is also a man who has every rewards programme card under the sun!) It's not something I understand, as I've grown up using my debit card to pay for everything. But as he doesn't feel a need to bish about my bags or makeup, I don't comment on his swiping addiction.

Cait, Yeah i understand if your SO is using card for benefits, rewards, etc but this guy only uses it so that when he pays for checks, or at mall or something he will be swiping a platinum amex card vs just a regular credit card...he feels the cashier will think of him differently which is just weird! To me anyways lol

Cait, Yeah i understand if your SO is using card for benefits, rewards, etc but this guy only uses it so that when he pays for checks, or at mall or something he will be swiping a platinum amex card vs just a regular credit card...he feels the cashier will think of him differently which is just weird! To me anyways lol

As someone who has been a cashier, do let him know we're usually too wrapped up in our own work to notice what CC he has. Unless it's a black AMEX or one with a picture of a cute cat on it, I won't pay any attention whatsoever! :lol:

Your friend sounds ridiculous but I actually find it cute that he is honest about trying to look high-class. If he's annoying you about his amex so much, don't worry-it's going to stop as soon as he gets his bill.

Your friend sounds ridiculous but I actually find it cute that he is honest about trying to look high-class. If he's annoying you about his amex so much, don't worry-it's going to stop as soon as he gets his bill.

:lol: If he wants to look like old money, tell him to use Diners Club. Anyone can get an AMEX now....

Diners Club...more like Player's Club

This is Telly Savalas for Player's Club International...

telly_players_club.png

Try getting one of those without being a straight up baller!

I was a gold card holder for a number of years, never really spent that much on it. I recently upgraded to platinum because there are really some great benefits, especially if you travel frequently like I do. As far as platinum being exclusive, it isn't. They'll basically take almost anyone.

Platinum isn't what is 'used to be'. It started out as a very high status item that you had to be invited to have and pay like $500 or $750 a year just to have the card even if you never used it. My husband had one (company paid but it was in his name) many years ago because he worked for a company owner that felt like the OP's friend and wanted to impress the clients. When he left that job he of course didn't want to pay the fee and Amex actually gave it to him free for a year to try to get him to change his mind (he didn't, he let it go after the year and got a normal 'free' card). Now we have several 'platinum' cards (nothing with more than a $50-$75 annual fee and that one gives us 2% back). Even the black ones are pretty commonplace these days (we have black Visa Infinite or whatever they call it). I'm not impressed by the colour of a credit card and I doubt most waiters/SAs are either.

I think it's fine that he's proud of his platinum status, but not so cool that he talks about it all the time.
Personally, we've used our platinum card and got some neat perks (for concerts, traveling, etc.), so we like it, but it's definitely NOT something we talk about.