My friend got a toenail fungus that she says she caught from the nail salon we go to.

I love doing my own nails. I just don't think the majority of these nail salons are very sterile. But...go ahead....it seems like a very relaxing thing to do.
Can't say I really enjoy doing my own but agree with you re the germs, esp with the spa pedis.......and I never really found my time in the nail salon particularly relaxing

I didn't get a fungus from the salon, but there was definitely some damage to my toenails. They appeared scraped and discolored. I have been leaving them polish free since the summer and trimming them short- the damaged area is almost grown out now. And it hurt when they did my cuticles. So, while I love the look of a salon pedicure, I am contemplating doing my own this year.

I didn't get a fungus from the salon, but there was definitely some damage to my toenails. They appeared scraped and discolored. I have been leaving them polish free since the summer and trimming them short- the damaged area is almost grown out now. And it hurt when they did my cuticles. So, while I love the look of a salon pedicure, I am contemplating doing my own this year.
yes, some of them like to snip the cuticles and I don't think you're really supposed to do that. glad your issue wasn't too major

I was back at the salon to buy something and sat while my friend had dip powder manicure. I was watching a few nail techs and noticed how the acrylic nail tip drill heads they were using were just put in a basket and not sanitized between clients. I also saw how two different nail techs used the foot rough pumice sponges that was already well used and to me just nasty looking. As a client seeing this I would of said no way can you use this on my feet, So they use it on one person and wash then use it on another person until it wears out!

I never have this used on my feet because I do it myself at home and don’t want my feet scraped with anything at a salon. While the salon is very clean again I observed the one minute cleaning of the foot spa. I read online to get a foot spa clean it should be disinfected and then also have new water run through the jets to wash everything out from the previous pedicure versus just draining water after a client is done. I have been doing my own nails at home and happy with the results and with my pedicure spa I can soak my feet as long as I want in hot water in a quiet environment and relax.

Doug Schoon would have to personally recommend a particular salon for me to go back to one again. I will never go to another low cost/high volume salon ever again.

I got toe nail fungus last summer. I don't know if it was from a pedicure I got or from the gym or pool, but I have stopped going to get pedicures since then. I can't risk it. It's been almost a year and I still haven't completely gotten rid of the toe nail fungus. It's gotten much better, but is not gone. I treat it everyday too. It's been a nightmare.

Doug Schoon would have to personally recommend a particular salon for me to go back to one again. I will never go to another low cost/high volume salon ever again.
I've never had a problem but I've been sufficiently scared that I won't go to those salons and if I did I'd probablyt ask them to use a basin and not that whirpool tub. For a while I went to the local beauty school. they used a basin and had to follow all the rules. but they were more into hair. some did pretty well, others not so much. and they were a lot slower than the salons. now I do at home.