My friend drinks a bottle of wine a night.................

how many nights per week is it safe to drink a bottle of wine?

• 1?

• 2?

• 3?

• 4?

• 5?

• 6?

• 7?

Results are only viewable after voting.
she probably has a very high tolerance. i'm not sure if that is alcoholism..but it probably is darn close.

maybe she would be better off taking some sort of sleep inducing medication prescribed by her doctor? not sure if that is the right answer either, probably just trading one vice for another.

i have a glass or (on a bad day) 2, after a long day with the kids. but a whole bottle consumed by yourself...that is a lot of wine.

you may wish to contact AA, they probably have guidelines for friends.

you are truly a wonderful friend, sometimes that is the hardest thing to be. true friends care.

I am a tea total but more than 1 evening maybe 2 is definitely a lot. I think rehab is maybe extreme as she may really just need some happiness? I don't know your friend but if she needs 1 bottle per night to sleep that is a problem.

if this happens during times of intense stress it would be ok for more than 2 evenings but since she is doing that all the time it really is an issue. but if she doesn't want help... you know how it is.

I always thought the definition of an alcoholic was when it had totally taken over your life and you were unable to do anything else.
To my mind if she can stop to try and lose weight and still function without it then she's not an alcoholic.

When it has totally taken over your life and you are out of control is when some people finally admit they are alocholics - it is not a definition of one.

An alcoholic cannot do without alchohol. They are dependent on it.
They cannot stop at one glass.
Their behavior changes as soon as they have that drink in their hands.
They make excuses for drinking; ie; I need it to sleep, I need it to cope, I need it to not be shy, I need it to relax, etc.
They want to numb themselves.
They look forward to and plan their next drink.
This is just a handful of red flags.

I have become quite the expert when it comes to alcoholism by my own experience with alcohol and living with my DH who is a recovering alcoholic (rehab 3 times) as well as having alcoholism in my family and friends who are also either recovering or still in their disease. I say this so everyone knows that I know what I'm talking about. I have lived/am living it.
There are functioning alcoholics that can drink steadily all day long and still get things done. There are people who drink alone and keep it secret. There are those who get out of control at parties and say thats the only time they drink - all these people are alcoholics. There are happy drunks, there are sad drunks, there are mean drunks. They are all alcoholics. Their body, mind or both tells them that they need alcohol. The sugar in alcohol alone is incredibly addicting and keeps them coming to that bottle. Thats why when someone tries to quit, they will crave sweets right away like ice cream, cookies, etc. (why do you think there are so many donuts and cookies at AA meetings?:lol: its a big responsibility if you are in charge of bringing them!)

Quitting is easy. Staying sober is the hard part. And it takes desire. Unless one has that desire to stay sober, they cannot/will not. Thats why its no big deal for an addict to quit their addiction for a moment (losing weight or whatever) because they know they are going back to it eventually. When you have convinced yourself that you can never, ever have another drink as long as you live, thats when the anxiety and panic set it and thats when you need to get help pronto.

Addiction is so serious and in alot of communities a shameful thing which is sad cause it keeps the alcoholic in hiding. They need help and compassion and understanding. It is a disease and needs to be treated like one. You would never turn someone away with cancer. But addicts can be ignored and looked upon as low-lifes and that needs to change. An addict can be a wealthy, well dressed business man just as well as he/she can be a bum in the street.

Okay, I'm done. For now...:graucho:

I'll drink a glass or two a week but a bottle a night? Wow. I think you need to sit her down and really talk to her about why and what she's doing to herself before bringing up rehab. She could react to that in a negative way if she feels like she's being attacked and that wouldn't turn out so nice.

When it has totally taken over your life and you are out of control is when some people finally admit they are alocholics - it is not a definition of one.

An alcoholic cannot do without alchohol. They are dependent on it.
They cannot stop at one glass.
Their behavior changes as soon as they have that drink in their hands.
They make excuses for drinking; ie; I need it to sleep, I need it to cope, I need it to not be shy, I need it to relax, etc.
They want to numb themselves.
They look forward to and plan their next drink.
This is just a handful of red flags.

I have become quite the expert when it comes to alcoholism by my own experience with alcohol and living with my DH who is a recovering alcoholic (rehab 3 times) as well as having alcoholism in my family and friends who are also either recovering or still in their disease. I say this so everyone knows that I know what I'm talking about. I have lived/am living it.
There are functioning alcoholics that can drink steadily all day long and still get things done. There are people who drink alone and keep it secret. There are those who get out of control at parties and say thats the only time they drink - all these people are alcoholics. There are happy drunks, there are sad drunks, there are mean drunks. They are all alcoholics. Their body, mind or both tells them that they need alcohol. The sugar in alcohol alone is incredibly addicting and keeps them coming to that bottle. Thats why when someone tries to quit, they will crave sweets right away like ice cream, cookies, etc. (why do you think there are so many donuts and cookies at AA meetings?:lol: its a big responsibility if you are in charge of bringing them!)

Quitting is easy. Staying sober is the hard part. And it takes desire. Unless one has that desire to stay sober, they cannot/will not. Thats why its no big deal for an addict to quit their addiction for a moment (losing weight or whatever) because they know they are going back to it eventually. When you have convinced yourself that you can never, ever have another drink as long as you live, thats when the anxiety and panic set it and thats when you need to get help pronto.

Addiction is so serious and in alot of communities a shameful thing which is sad cause it keeps the alcoholic in hiding. They need help and compassion and understanding. It is a disease and needs to be treated like one. You would never turn someone away with cancer. But addicts can be ignored and looked upon as low-lifes and that needs to change. An addict can be a wealthy, well dressed business man just as well as he/she can be a bum in the street.

Okay, I'm done. For now...:graucho:

you said it perfectly. she will only stop when she gets help and she will only get help when she realizes that the alcohol is not eliminating her pain(whatever it is for her) but numbing her and helping her to forget it is there.

ONE person should not be drinking an entire bottle of wine by themselves, period! Several glasses on occasion is fine, but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence. The recommended amount is a glass a day.

I can easily drink a bottle of wine in an evening, and have more than once. I will drink a glass an hour from 5 til 10, I open the bottle as I am making dinner and it goes on from there. I agree that it is not a healthy habit, so I try not to do it too often, and it can also be an expensive one. However, I would not call myself an alcoholic, and would be hesitant to make that judgment on another.

Since she is going through a tragic situation, I would give her some time. It's good that she has a friend like you to watch out for her.:yes:

I can easily drink a bottle of wine in an evening, and have more than once. I will drink a glass an hour from 5 til 10, I open the bottle as I am making dinner and it goes on from there. I agree that it is not a healthy habit, so I try not to do it too often, and it can also be an expensive one. However, I would not call myself an alcoholic, and would be hesitant to make that judgment on another.

Since she is going through a tragic situation, I would give her some time. It's good that she has a friend like you to watch out for her.:yes:
I tend to agree with this you see, personally I don't think she is an alcoholic. It is just that she is alone in the house & like we all know everything seems worse at night. I have to admit to doing it myself when in bad form but not every night!

Thanks to all who replied with very sound advice & kind words.
I just got so worried about her last night when I knew she was going home alone to drink a bottle of wine it just seems so pathetic but then who knows when I am alone & kids have left will I do the same thing?? I think that thought frightened me also. It is so easy to want to numb oneself when there is pain.

Bags sorry you have gone through this with DH & other & I hope all remains well for you

I am going to chat with her about cutting down & trying to get back into the real world, get out & about more which I for one know is not easy after marriage break up, hence my high post in short time on TPF LOL
I would be afraid to push her to medication for sleeping as I don't think that is a good answer. I think she just needs to get back her self esteem after such a hard knock, think she is feeling pretty worthless at the minute!
Thanks again all:flowers:

:wtf: i can't even answer the survey, bc I don't think it's EVER ok to drink a bottle of wine...once a week or seven times a week...it's NOT OK!!!! :wacko: I would say that you are NOT out of line in thinking your friend may have a problem. To me, that sounds like alcohol dependency. And all that can lead to is TROUBLE. Be a friend, help her acknowledge her problem!!!

:wtf: i can't even answer the survey, bc I don't think it's EVER ok to drink a bottle of wine...once a week or seven times a week...it's NOT OK!!!! :wacko: I would say that you are NOT out of line in thinking your friend may have a problem. To me, that sounds like alcohol dependency. And all that can lead to is TROUBLE. Be a friend, help her acknowledge her problem!!!
Yes i am trying to do that.
I don't think a bottle of wine is a huge problem only 4.5 glasses, I am sure most people have that on a night out but just not every night.