My friend bought me a fake!

hum, i recall there was a similar thread regarding how to tell a friend she received a fake bag? What ever you do, please keep in mind your friend is no a die hard LV fan like PFers, so by confronting her straight about the relationship of fake-sweatshop-support terrorism could get her feelings hurt, also gave her an impression of you not appreciate her gift. If i were in your shoes, I'd probably casually google some related news, send it/share it w/her and just casually reinforce the article's summary of sweatshop and terrorism?

Wow, my boss gave me a fake Pochette Accessoires for my birthday a couple years ago. She tried to pretend it was real because she said she got it from Nieman's, but it was clearly fake. I didn't carry it for a while and she got angry so I had to start carrying it(she was my boss after all). Anyway, I would hide it behind my back as I came in to work and everytime I went somewhere after work I would have to take my wallet out and leave my purse in the car. It was so irritating. The plastic strap began to fray so I used that as my excuse to stop carrying it. I told my boss it was getting too much wear and tear so I was only going to carry it on special occasions. Hee Hee, it went in the trash. So I feel your pain Merika. You could tell your friend, you like to use it as an evening bag only not for everyday.

I agree with the idea, that you should say you use it on special occasions, and don't want to ruin it by bringing it to work. You might also add that it is special in that she bought it just for you. Eventually she will stop asking and get the message. If you tell her the truth, she might get very hurt and that would be a problem since you see her all the time. Good Luck.

This is what I did:

My mom had sent me some Victorias Secret bras from home. My home country is a place where VS bras are made (legitimately), factory overstocks are available at pretty low prices there.

So I met her today and gave her some stuff, and mentioned that that was clothing made for VS in factories which gave their workers good wages and benefits. I also told her that there were fakes that were manufactured under really bad conditions, and they usually ripped after a few washes.

I didn't talk about the bag at all - I made like I was talking about the bras, but I hope she got the point.

This is what I did:

My mom had sent me some Victorias Secret bras from home. My home country is a place where VS bras are made (legitimately), factory overstocks are available at pretty low prices there.

So I met her today and gave her some stuff, and mentioned that that was clothing made for VS in factories which gave their workers good wages and benefits. I also told her that there were fakes that were manufactured under really bad conditions, and they usually ripped after a few washes.

I didn't talk about the bag at all - I made like I was talking about the bras, but I hope she got the point.

That's smart. I wonder if she "got it?"

That sucks! My aunt gave me a fake LV Perfo? pouchette and I never wore it either. I think that she gets it though and never asks why I don't wear it. Why would I want to wear a fake when I already have the real LVs?!

I would be offended if a friend would give me an illegal bag. I don't think it would be wrong for you to cut it up in front of her.

Tell her to send it back where it came from - child labor, terrorism, slavery, drug trafficking, and just the United States alone loses $250 billion dollars in counterfeits every year. :yucky:

she's obviously not a real friend if she would buy you a fake and then expect you to embarass yourself by carrying it in public

No, that's not true. There are some people to whom a bag is a designer bag, and others to whom something just looks good, and thinks that it will look good on their friends too. They may not know the circumstances under which it was made, links to terrorism yada yada, copyright violations and so on.

To my friend, a bag is just a bag - maybe a nice looking bag, but nothing to get all het up about.