My friend bought me a fake!

I am in the same dilemma...sorta. My best friend went away and bought me an ugly orange bag...it's not a fake anything...it's just some cheap bag. It was SO nice of her - she knows how much I love handbags and was being very sweet. The thing is, I only carry my LV's these days and I don't really like what she got me. I also don't want to hurt her feelings so I have made it a point to use it once in a while when I know I am going to see her. It's a tough situation. If I were you I would wear it once or twice when you know you will see her. Good luck.

This happens to me too. My friends and family know I love handbags, so naturally for birthdays or Chrismas I get handbags from them that I would not normally wear. I have a handful now that just sit there, not fake or anything, but pretty cheap and unattractive stuff (IMO). I feel guilty that I think that way and that they spent the money to make me happy. I just try to say stuff like, "Oh my, I can't possibly get another handbag because I have SO many!" So hopefully they won't buy anymore, but then they see me with another new self-chosen bag. lol Anyhow, I think in this situation, you have to preserve your friend's feelings since she was thinking of you when she got the gift. If you think you can tell her about fakes without hurting her feelings, that would be the thing to do, just so she never buys you another fake bag. (Although I doubt she would, being you don't use the first one she got.) But if you think she's the type of person to take offense, I would probably please her by using it once. (I say this but realize I probably couldn't do it myself...lol.)

I'd just say the truth, "sorry, I don't really like the style. I'm more into Damier or darker colours. Cherry blossom feels a bit silly on me so I gave it to my son to play with. He loves it!"

is she a close friend? all my friends know what a freak I am when it comes to bags and would NEVER buy me a fake. If they did, I would take is as a slag. My co-workers now would probably not buy me a fake either for the very same reason. Are you sure she wasn't just trying to annoy you?

Take a xacto knife or scalpel and slowly start ripping the the stitching. Use an abrasive pad and scrub the corners. Take some brown shoe polish to accelerate the patina. That way it will look like you used it but unfortunately for $50 it started to fall apart from you.

Sounds evil but at least it will look like you used it.

I would try to solve this once and for all and say, "OMG! I'm so sorry, but my dog jumped up on my bureau and grabbed it down and chewed it to pieces!!" "I don't know HOW he got up there!"

And hope she doesn't get me another one. :wtf:

is she a close friend? all my friends know what a freak I am when it comes to bags and would NEVER buy me a fake. If they did, I would take is as a slag. My co-workers now would probably not buy me a fake either for the very same reason. Are you sure she wasn't just trying to annoy you?

same thought- how close are you two?

I would tell her the truth--- and if you were to stay friends then it wasn't a big deal afterwards----

$50 bucks for a fake bag!!!!!!!! argh, coulda bought a roxy or something from the mall!

I agree with the others and think you should wear it at least once and let her see you wearing it. It sounds like your friend meant well and wanted to make you happy. I do not think you should go into a long explanation about the bag being fake.

I think we have all been in the situation where someone didn't like a present we got them, and how disappointed and even upset we were when we found out. I think you should really try to spare her feelings if possible and let her see you use it once. After that, it's very possible she will let it drop. Only if she keeps insisting on you wearing the bag again, then you could say something, but not as your first option.

Oh man! I would really hate to be in that situation. I can't imagine that there's any way you could tell her that you won't carry it because it's a face without hurting her feelings.

I honestly would have no idea what to do if I were you!

I would bring it to work one day (in a big non designer duffle bag full of gym clothes so you have a reason why its in there lol and then hopefully she will see it on your desk or some where. (some where she can see it as long as your not holding it lol) then hopefully she will be happy about that. Then when when you leave put it back in that gym bag lol.

or say you carried it out to dinner last night because you didnt have to carry much with you. Tell her its more of a smaller occasion bag?

Thats a really good idea! :yes: