My first venture into preloved/vintage + their new new friend

LVinFL

Aug 17, 2015
image.jpeg While I've always been too apprehensive to purchase preloved and bought not one, but two vintage pieces this month. The gorgeous red lambskin flap and brooch are from the 1990's and I'm so in love with them both! I hadn't expected to make those purchases as I'd planned to purchase a Gabrielle this year. Well... I walked into the boutique on Friday and walked out with this beautiful black Reissue 2.55 Mini Hanger Bag. What to do now?!?! I've made my budgeted purchases for the year already and I don't have my Gabrielle - it's only April.

What are your thoughts on purchasing vintage? I think I'm on the bandwagon now!

I adore vintage bags. For me it's well worth the wait to purchase just the right one. I love the quality and durability. I have 3 vintage bags, all 1 and 2 series and there's absolutely no issues with them at all.
Who ever came up with the term "pre-loved? To me it means used and often abused. I've seen used Chanels that the seller considered in excellent condition and they were scuffed, dented, etc. I would only buy new from a store where I can inspect it before buying. I love lambskin and they have to be pristine for me to even consider buying. This is too much money to waste on something that isn't in perfect condition.

I have been collecting vintage Chanels since 2014. Owned a few contemporary pieces but switched to vintage, especially 3/4 series, as soon as I got a caviar camera bag from year 94. You could feel the differences in leather and hardware. Vintage ones have better hardware and the pieces that I own all have really smooth and supple leather after at least twenty years!

Who ever came up with the term "pre-loved? To me it means used and often abused. I've seen used Chanels that the seller considered in excellent condition and they were scuffed, dented, etc. I would only buy new from a store where I can inspect it before buying. I love lambskin and they have to be pristine for me to even consider buying. This is too much money to waste on something that isn't in perfect condition.

Any seller that isn't honest with their listings is not a reputable one. I only buy from TPF trusted sellers and the vintage bags that I own can run circles around today's lambskin pieces. Just because someone else owned it before, it doesn't mean its owner didn't take care of it.

Most Chanel owners cherish and baby their pieces so when it does end up in the pre-loved market, the bags are hardly in "abused" condition. With all the many issues plaguing today's bags (as evidenced by all the threads on THAT topic in this forum), I don't always go the brand new route.

More money doesn't always get you perfection.

View attachment 3678863 While I've always been too apprehensive to purchase preloved and bought not one, but two vintage pieces this month. The gorgeous red lambskin flap and brooch are from the 1990's and I'm so in love with them both! I hadn't expected to make those purchases as I'd planned to purchase a Gabrielle this year. Well... I walked into the boutique on Friday and walked out with this beautiful black Reissue 2.55 Mini Hanger Bag. What to do now?!?! I've made my budgeted purchases for the year already and I don't have my Gabrielle - it's only April.

Aaahhh! Your red flap is TDF!!! Vintage Chanel is just so luxe and to me, it embodies that romantic, chic Parisienne flair that the fashion house is synonymous with. Most of my pieces are vintage series 3 & 4. I only own one newer Jumbo. Still looking to increase my vintage collection.

Reactions: LVinFL
View attachment 3678863 While I've always been too apprehensive to purchase preloved and bought not one, but two vintage pieces this month. The gorgeous red lambskin flap and brooch are from the 1990's and I'm so in love with them both! I hadn't expected to make those purchases as I'd planned to purchase a Gabrielle this year. Well... I walked into the boutique on Friday and walked out with this beautiful black Reissue 2.55 Mini Hanger Bag. What to do now?!?! I've made my budgeted purchases for the year already and I don't have my Gabrielle - it's only April.

:love::loveeyes::yes::love::heart:All i can say is that red flap is seriously THE prettiest red chanel I've laid eyes on. OOOMMMGGG lucky you. I'm too spellbound by the red right now to even comment on the black!:lol:

Reactions: LVinFL
They are both so beautiful! I've never seen the hanger bag before. What an unusual design. Is the hanger removable?
Thank you! I had seen a picture of the hanger bag but it wasn't on my radar until I tried it on - it's adorable! No, the hanger isn't removable - I think I like it more because it isn't. ;)

I have been collecting vintage Chanels since 2014. Owned a few contemporary pieces but switched to vintage, especially 3/4 series, as soon as I got a caviar camera bag from year 94. You could feel the differences in leather and hardware. Vintage ones have better hardware and the pieces that I own all have really smooth and supple leather after at least twenty years!
I love vintage pieces, too. In fact, I'm waiting on one that I just purchased to be delivered tomorrow. ;). Hope I lve it once it gets here.

Reactions: YunaMH
Aaahhh! Your red flap is TDF!!! Vintage Chanel is just so luxe and to me, it embodies that romantic, chic Parisienne flair that the fashion house is synonymous with. Most of my pieces are vintage series 3 & 4. I only own one newer Jumbo. Still looking to increase my vintage collection.
Thank you!

Your bags are beautiful. And the hanger bag is very unique. Congrats. :smile:

I adore the "older" bags. Anything from 10+ years and older. As others have stated, the quality of the bags is often superior to today's bags. As well, there are features like real gold plating, bijoux chains and single flap jumbos that aren't available today.

Regarding condition - with just a little patience you can find a vintage bag in like new or even pre-owned but never used condition. So there is usually no reason to have to get a bag that's less than pristine. But even if you do find a rare bag you just have to have that isn't perfect, you can send it to Leather Surgeons or Leather Pros to have it completely cleaned and refurbished.

Lastly, I love older / vintage bags because they are usually less expensive. So it's like getting a precious Chanel on discount. :biggrin:

This doesn't mean I won't buy new Chanel items because I will. But, honestly the quality and features of the older bags has usually drawn me in that direction.

Any seller that isn't honest with their listings is not a reputable one. I only buy from TPF trusted sellers and the vintage bags that I own can run circles around today's lambskin pieces. Just because someone else owned it before, it doesn't mean its owner didn't take care of it.

Most Chanel owners cherish and baby their pieces so when it does end up in the pre-loved market, the bags are hardly in "abused" condition. With all the many issues plaguing today's bags (as evidenced by all the threads on THAT topic in this forum), I don't always go the brand new route.

More money doesn't always get you perfection.
How do you identify "TPFERS trusted sellers" please?