My First Velo! Also question about the smell?

Sep 10, 2006
My Balenciaga Velo Black with GH arrived this week from Balenciaga website and I immediately notice the smell. This is my first velo, but not my first Balenciaga. I have two Balenciaga (2014 city & 2010 part time) bought from balenciaga.com and another 2013 city bought from (don't remember if it's from Neiman or Barnes), but none of them smell like this bag. This Velo smell like dried vinegar or clothes that was left in the attic in years.

Is this smell normal? Will it go away? The dust bag also smell and I'm not sure if it's the actual dust bag that smell or the bag itself. Balenciaga.com sent me a 2013 velo instead of 2014 so I'm not sure what leather it is..

Attachments

Sssy

Jan 1, 2013
London
Musty smell may stay for a long time. Maybe your bag was stored incorrectly. I would return it. Brand new bag with a dodgy smell is no no...

Sep 10, 2006
Thank you, for the response. Unfortunately I already took off the tag so I can't return it. Also, I live far away that returning it will be a hassle.. Anyway I left the bag by the window and notice that the smell is barely there now, not like the first time I got the bag. Hopefully the smell will disappear in time.

Also one of the reason I don't want to return it because the leather is so smoochy/thick with barely veins/crack and I'm scared that if I return it, I'll get a different leather.

Sssy

Jan 1, 2013
London
In this case, try to air it as much as possible, but avoid direct sun. Hope it will help and you will enjoy your bag :smile:

Dec 31, 2013
I have received bags with musty, strong storage smell before (one was heavily mothball, another must and old cigarettes). I found putting dryer sheets inside the inner and outer pockets, and placing one along the top (under the handles, draped over the middle), and then hanging outside where a breeze could catch it cleared all smells up in a day or so. Like Sssy suggested, avoid direct sun- try to find a shaded but well ventilated spot.

Sep 10, 2006
Thank you, I'm going to try the dryer sheet on this one. Yeah direct sunlight won't be a problem since we barely have any sunlight on where I live. Thank you all for the suggestions. :smile: