My first Prada lined with ???? HELP!!!

Swanky-panky

Mar 22, 2010
This weekend I fell in love with a lovely warm-gray Vitello Shine Satchel at the Prada boutique at Nordstrom's. I've never considered myself a Prada person (MJ's my hero), but this bag is gorgeous! So I brought her home.

On the way back in the car, I took her out to play with and the leather lining didn't look (or smell) right to me. It doesn't drape, lay or fold like leather. It doesn't warm under my fingers like leather. When I got home I came to this forum and was horrified to read some of the posts about pleather.

My SA at Nordies is their Prada expert, and he wasn't in until today. He assured me that the lining is calf leather. I just don't think it is - but he's the expert.

I actually think YOU are the experts. Will someone please clear this up for me? If Prada's "expert" at Nordstrom was less than honest with me, the brand is ruined for me - I'll never even consider another one. And my lovely satchel is going back tomorrow, regardless.

What's the story here? Why fake anything on an authentic bag? Doesn't make sense.

^^Its not real leather in the lining........they call it leather-like.......I know some of the other girls have issue with this lining also. Some it doesn't bother but some say it has a funny smell to it. HTH! Pictures of the bag???

Also, to be honest, I'm not even sure that all SA's would know this but they should!!!

I don't really mind the pleather all TOO much.. I mean, sure, I'd rather have ANYTHING else, but it's sturdy and it doesn't really get dirty.........
At least

The thing that kills me about this is even the Prada store SA's swear that it is leather. I talked extensively with a long time Prada employee in Toronto about it and recently with an SA at the 57th street store. They were both adament that Prada only used leather.

I doubt Prada cares about our opinions about PLEATHER . . .
As for the SAs in the boutiques and stores, it's probably in your best interest to not ask them questions. Your best sources of information and opinions on things Prada are right here on this forum.

:heart:

I doubt Prada cares about our opinions about PLEATHER . . .
As for the SAs in the boutiques and stores, it's probably in your best interest to not ask them questions. Your best sources of information and opinions on things Prada are right here on this forum.

:heart:

They damn well better care about our opinions. Our opinions translate into our money. Money that they're getting from us and getting rich with. The price of Prada is obscene enough, but to be lied to and sold inferior materials for the same or more than the real thing and then to think we have no entitlement to ask questions? Yeah. Prada better care! :mad:

I know my meager purchases don't mean a drop in their proverbial bucket, but I'll continue to boycott any product or company that openly takes my money in such a deceptive manner.

But is anyone actively boycotting Prada? I'm not....and I've had the plastic lining and even though it certainly is not my choice, it seems durable and easy to clean. SA's aren't to be relied on anywhere. My last trip to the LV counter convinced me they raided the highschool cheerleading team for their staff.
As for the price....all bag prices have risen. It's a luxury item and people continue to buy. I am not condoning Prada's price rise or use of pleather but until I know for sure they they are intentionally misleading their staff or training them to lie, we can only go by what we know from experience. The pleather smell is hard to ignore.

Has anyone not bought a Prada Product since this Pleather came to light?

*shrugs* One of my prada's came with pleather lining...SA said it was leather...i just don't think they're actually told honestly what is it...the carebooklet says it's leather, therefore it MUST BE...

I didn't return that bag, nor am I boycotting Prada...yes, i wish they'll use real leather but unless the rich and famous start boycotting with us, nothing much is gonna change =.=

I have not figured out what the deal is with the SA's. I don't know how you can see some of these linings and still think they are leather. So are they in denial? Do they not care because the bags still sell?

I'm not an expert but don't you guys think the synthetic lining would hold out longer than real leather?

I don't think that's the issue here. It's that they are using synthetic and selling it as leather, and at leather prices. These are supposedly luxury goods, and synthetic lining does not equal luxury in my book. Synthetic = cheap, IMO. I'd rather have the signature fabric lining.