My first "My kid bid on this auction using my ID" email

marfi

Nov 26, 2008
Have a request to cancel a bid on a handbag I have up for sale. what is the best way to handle? The bidder has requested that I cancel the bid made under her ID - she has about 400 feedbacks. I can't help but notice that she (or at least whoever is using her ID) has purchased three other purses in the last week. I mean, why would a kid even use Mom's ID? would she really expect to get the purse even if Mom was the high bidder?

I guess I'm just bothered because it seems like patent BS. any advice on an appropriate response?

In my opinion, no point in wasting your time and effort with this person. Just cancel their bid and block them. I wouldn't even bother writing them back. At least they haven't won the auction yet, right?

thanks - I just decided the hassle wasn't worth it especially since the auction has two days left to run and I have three other bidders. I removed the bid and blocked her ID from my auctions (my first blocked bidder ever! So proud- sigh)

For future reference: You can tell the bidder to retract their bid if they want -- it isn't up to you if there's more than 12 hours left in the auction. That will show up under their ID for 6 months or so --- "Bid retraction(s): 3" or whatever. With 400 + f/b she should know how to retract a bid.

it is a ridiculous lie, no doubt, but I think the above poster is right. Have her retract her bid. Tell her to go to site map. Ebay won't let you have that many retractions before they do something (at least warn you I think)

For future reference: You can tell the bidder to retract their bid if they want -- it isn't up to you if there's more than 12 hours left in the auction. That will show up under their ID for 6 months or so --- "Bid retraction(s): 3" or whatever. With 400 + f/b she should know how to retract a bid.
At least it will show up for six months, this way. Good to know.

a friend of mine gave her 8 year old son her ebay password this week and then wondered why he bid on loads of stuff, i think he won several hundred pounds worth, she was lucky and had some understanding sellers and i think she only ended up paying for one item, i don't know what sort of stuff he bought but i'd guess toys/games etc...not a bag, why would a kid want to bid on a bag ?
an obvious fib !

^ Don't know about that, I've liked fashion pretty much since I was born (I used to scream when my mother tried to put babygrows on me and smile when she put my favourite dress on, apparently!), so I can imagine someone like me happily bidding on bags at the age of five! :biggrin:

Also, this 'kid' could be a 9-16 year old girl, couldn't she?

I'm not saying it's definitely true, but I think it's highly possible and especially if several bags have been bid upon within a short period of time.

Last edited:
This buyer made a very irresponsible request. I agree with the above. It is her mistake, and she has to correct it herself. She needs to retract her bids (it will stay in her record); otherwise she will receive a non-paying strike.

Not taking sides, but unhappily -- once my DD actually did bid on a purse I was looking at when I stupidly left the room for a moment with the screen up and logged in. She was old enough to know better but .... her clicky finger went off. <sigh> I was mortified when I notified the seller that I was retracting the bid and why. Whether they believed me or not, I will never know. (This was several years ago, but very fresh in my mind!)

DD was on the list for a bit and so was I for contributing to temptation. And I felt soooo stupid for the longest time!! We both learned our lesson.

So point of that boring story - it actually happened to me, so who knows??