My first MAB

ZsaZsasCloset

Aug 8, 2008
I just received my first RM MAB, the Scarlet one from Avelle. The leather seems really stiff compared to my Devote. Is this normal? Anybody know anything about the Scarlet leather? Will it break in? Also it has a hard patent bottom, which is kind of awkward to carry, it doesnt fall right. I have it hanging right now with some weight in it to try to get it to fall better. Any advice? Should I return it?

I believe the Scarlet leather is indeed supposed to be quite stiff when new. Others have reported being able to break in their Scarlet Nikkis after filling it with heavy books and hanging it, so you're on the right track to breaking in the leather.

As for the base, though, the MA is supposed to have a stiff base (i.e. feels like there's some kind of cardboard or other reinforcement material inside the base). I'm not sure if the patent bottoms are any harder than the regular bottoms, but this may just be a characteristic of the design. Do be careful not to break it in excessively, though, as this kind of cardboard-reinforced base can permanently crease if you put something heavy in it for too long a period of time.

I have this bag in a MAM and I personally love the patent bottom because it keeps clean so easily. As for the leather, I've been carrying it quite a bit and it is breaking in VERY nicely! It will definitely start to smoosh just from use. I don't think it will ever become a complete puddle because of the glaze but for me I prefer that in the MA styles. HTH!

I have this bag in a MAB and while the scarlet leather is stiff at first, it will break in after a while. It'll never puddle like some of the smooshier leathers, but it's still a gorgeous bag! :smile:

Congratulations! I have a Scarlet MAM and my leather is stiffer than most of my RMs. However, I love the flirty little patent bottom. . . easy to keep clean. I just keep forgetting that it's got a patent bottom so I sometimes get annoyed when it slides off my lap! LOL!

Ditto! I have the Scarlett MAM also and love it. The stiffer leather also gives the bag a bit more structure, which is helpful for me in a satchel. It's super durable, you will love that bag - I get compliments every time I carry it! Enjoy! :heart:

ZsaZsa can I ask if you are happy with Avelle? I was interested in buying a
"gently used" but am a bit concerned about the true condition of the bag...are you happy with yours?

Yeah, I dont know if its just because of glazed leather or if it hasnt been used much, but it seems brand new. Its very stiff and still smells great. The only complaint i have was the way it was sent, it folded down in a sleeper that was obviously too small for it. But once I got it out, and let it hang with some weight and then stuffed it, it looks great and brand new. I will purchase from them again. I've actually bought a Treesje Metro Clutch from them too and love that bag.