My first LV bag? Feeling guilty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no feeling like going into the LV boutique and purchasing your first bag. I know that eLuxury may afford you a longer exchange policy, but I say GO TO THE BOUTIQUE for your purchase! Just be sure of what you want!

First of all, welcome to tpf! There are definitely a lot of gals and guys who have impressive bags that they've been collecting for years.
It sounds like you are a really responsible person who knows the value of money. I think that if you are paying for the bag yourself, you have no reason to feel guilty for wanting to spoil yourself with one designer bags. Designer stuff is not evil! hehe But you just want to be responsible with your money and it sounds like you are.
Maybe before you take the plunge, visit your LV boutique and see what's available and take your time, there's no rush especially if you want a speedy, those will be around forever.
The speedy is a great bag that will last you a really long time, and it's on the cheap side of LV prices, so it's not like you're spending thousands on one bag.
Anyways keep us updated and good luck!

Maybe I over read this ...... but with WHOSE money will you be paying the bag with? ..... yours? boyfriends? parents?

If the money is coming out of your pocket, I say go for it. I mean your going to college which isn't a very easy thing to do and I'd say not only you but almost every girl deserves 1 designer bag.

However, if buying this bag will put you BEHIND in paying anything like your rent then I wouldn't get it because paying bills is always a first but if this is saved extra cash then I would get it.

Good Luck on your final decision! :flowers:

i agreed with her. i'm only 17 and i purchased my first LV with my hard earned money this summer. when you're ready you will know. :tup:

If it is you could buy a pre owned one on line and that would be a bit of a savings.

Honestly I am kind of scared to try to get an LV bag off eBay ... it seems like you need to do a lot of hard work to make sure you aren't scammed!

i'd suggest discussing with bf/family the people who u care about and absolutely do not want to "hurt" or be "hurt" by their views/ comments. if u are serious on getting the bag how about budgeting for it to prove to your bf/ families how serious u are?

Budgeting is a GREAT idea. I still have this "I WANT IT NOW" mentality that my childhood left me with, but budgeting over a period of time might just solve my problems :smile: Good things come to those who wait, right?

Wow...I was in almost the exact same position as you! I am also a college student, from an upper-middle class family, and my boyfriend thought the exact same way as yours is now. I ended up getting a Damier Speedy 25 - at first I felt like a complete fraud and couldn't even carry it for several months, but now I've fallen in love with it and I've stopped making myself feel so guilty for dropping so much money on a material thing, since I know that this is one thing I'll have for a long, long time. As for becoming 'high maintenance', I don't think I have...I just love my bags! And my boyfriend has realized that, hopefully yours will too! So I say go for it! I definately think it's worth it in the end!

How relieving! :biggrin: It's nice to know I'm not alone. The value of an LV bag is steep (not just in terms of dollars!) considering they are iconic and can last for a long time!

what you could also do is put aside a little bit of money every week or month to show your family/bf that you are financially responsible enough to afford a speedy and showing that you can save up for things.

Saving up is a GREAT idea. I have enough money as-is, but I'll have to skip out on a few out-to-dinners. It would be nice saving in advance for something like an LV bag. :heart:

I'm still in college too, parents still pay for a lot, and the boyfriend isn't supportive of spending so much money on things (but an xbox 360 is ok...oh men...) I totally know how you feel. Every day I say to myself I feel like treating myself but I know in my heart of hearts that it just isn't the time right now. When I really do want something (nothing LV yet, but maybe something small but costs a pretty peny) I try to find a way to kind of justify it. Getting through the end of the quarter with a good GPA, doing really well on a test, getting an internship, something so that I don't feel so bad about it. The bag will also remind you of that great achievement that you bought it for. It also gives you an "excuse" to tell everyone who might give you a hard time. Maybe you should wait a bit for a time when there is another reason to buy it, just so everyone will kind of back off.

I agree, all these posts have really made me feel a lot better in general. Come to think of it, my boyfriend bought a huge flatscreen TV, an XBOX 360, and a Wii for himself and I've never made him feel guilty about any of it! I am definitely going to use the "justify it" method ... perhaps getting straight A's at the end of the semester will do as an excuse ;)

I think you are ready and you deserve you'r selve to something luxurious for once if you'r life it's not like you will become a psychotic LV addict just for buying an expensive bag, and the speedy 25 is a perfect LV bag and if you'r parents or bf rant about it you can tell them it's fake lol

That's COMPLETELY true; thank you.

Hey Mollipop! Welcome to tpf...sorry to hear about your dilemma. LV bags are the best! But IMO, money issues and pricey designer bags don't mix.

If you're conflicted between your desire (to buy a Louis) and your family/boyfriend's belief (that people should not buy such an expensive item), you probably won't enjoy your bag, no matter how much we encourage you at tpf.

I'm glad to see that as usual, tpfers are giving lots of great advice. Hopefully it'll help you figure out if this is the right time for you to own a Louis and enjoy it fully - without reservation or guilt.

Isn't it tempting when you see all those beautiful LV bags? my first lv was a classic mono speedy 30, so i would suggest you go with the classics if you DO decide to buy it. But on the other hand i have to agree that you may not be quite ready for your first LV yet, or maybe you can start saving up some 'LV fund'? That way you have more time for both you and your family to get to know the brand and that you work hard for what you deserve? Or you can choose to buy a pre-love piece instead?

Haha, I was facing the same problem when I was deciding on whether to get a Burberry trench or not because of the finacial guilt I will be facing. (Yes, I'm aware that Burberry trenches are nothing compared to prices of other brands). My boyfriend recommanded me to get it and his reasons convinced me to.

1. It's a classic.
  2. You can use it when you're young and when you're older, it's still in fashion. It just never get's old!
  3. It'll last. (unless you do some crazy jumping out of the sky with your friend both holding on to the bad and used it as a parachute then roll down the mountains while your LV bag is being killed by rocks while you roll down then you accidently let go of the bag as you come near to the river full of piranas and it ate your bag because they thought it was an animal) :Push:
  4. I will summarize it. It's an investment.

i totally think that you deserve it,
if you go to a college where it costs 160,000 to go there, then you DEFINITELY worked hard to get there.
you will work hard to earn this bag, and everybody needs a little luxury in life, whether in the form or a trip, a spa day, or in your case, a classic bag!
its not likeyou will start becoming a spender after this one purchase, although i have to admit, after the second bag, you will become obsessed. lol

Have you looked at getting a gently used one? You can get them for about half the retail sometimes - might be easier to deal with the bf if you can say how cheaply you got it and how much you saved

Ok, this is how I justify my "purchases." If I went to Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Target, I would spend around $35.00- 40.00 on a purse. That purse will probably last me around 4 months adding up to around a hundred or so a year. I can buy a pre-loved LV and carry it for at least a year maybe two and the quality will hold up well. Not only that, it has value when I am done with it. It's not a disposable item and I can always resale it for money back to buy something else. I am able to financially justify my purchases. I wish I could get some of the "higher" end LV's, however I just don't. Most all of my purses have been pre-owned however I buy from a MPRS who only buys things in excellent condition. I think buying a "used" LV may be your best bet and you would be able to justify it.

I think you have the money to buy a new speedy full price (either from boutique or eluxury), so personally, if I were you, I will not buy used from ebay. I personally think speedy mono is a very special bag, and as weird as it may sound, I just want to be there and watch every inches of the patina process.

Status
Not open for further replies.