My First Louis Bag... I Need Help!

kelly marie

Aug 16, 2009
Hi Everyone!

Im so excited to purchase my first Louis bag this week! I have a pretty serious shopping addiction :P but have restrained myself long enough to save for the Galliera PM.

Before I get my bag, I want to make sure I buy the right leather protecter to prevent ANY water spots from getting on my bag. I've had bad experiences with other bags in the past and I want to be extra careful this time.

I love the look of pale vachetta, and understand that the patina process is unavoidable, but it is sooo important to me that I do not pick a leather protectant that darkens my pachetta and/or speeds up the patina process.

I've heard good things about Shining Monkey, is this the product I should use called D-Spec Fabric/Leather Protectant? Can someone please tell me exactly how to use it and how long I should wait after spraying until I use my bag? Can anyone post me before and after pictures of using Shining Monkey?

I'm so nervous I will ruin it! Someone please help!

Last edited:
Don't shoot me: I'd just let it be. I was terrified of scratching the vachetta of my Keepall. Now I'm fine with it. To me, each scratch or water drop is a memory. That scratch was boarding the plane to Paris. Or that water drop I got on the handle as I was leaving the theater in New York. My LV's have some marks and scratches (although I baby the heck out of my bags!!) I'd just leave the vachetta alone and carry my bag proudly. But, if you are too worried about vachetta, I'd get a Damier bag. Or Suhali, etc. Something other than bags with treated leather.

Soo. Don't kill me! :P

Also, if you are set on Vachetta, they're thousands of threads on vachetta protection. Early congrats, and welcome to tPF Kelly Marie! I'm sure your collection will grow! :yes: :smile:

thanks berrycraig!

I dont blame you, I want to leave my bag the way i buy it too and the thought of spraying anything on my bag makes me cringe! But I live in a really drizzly/foggy area, and i know my bag will be covered in water spots if I dont do something first.

Ive spent an hour reading old threads, and havent made up my mind about the right product and have not yet read anything about how far away from the bag i should spray and how long I should let it dry.. but maybe I should keep looking..

thanks berrycraig!

I dont blame you, I want to leave my bag the way i buy it too and the thought of spraying anything on my bag makes me cringe! But I live in a really drizzly/foggy area, and i know my bag will be covered in water spots if I dont do something first.

Ive spent an hour reading old threads, and havent made up my mind about the right product and have not yet read anything about how far away from the bag i should spray and how long I should let it dry.. but maybe I should keep looking..

I'd check the FAQ or Reference threads for that. :yes: :smile:

I completely agree with berrycraig above. My Keepall 50 in Azur got a scratch on the vachetta when boarding plane from Los Angeles to New York. It's hardly noticeable at all. If you're too worried about your vachetta getting dirty, i'd really opt for a bag in ebene or epi since these will keep looking new for a long time.

Don't shoot me: I'd just let it be. I was terrified of scratching the vachetta of my Keepall. Now I'm fine with it. To me, each scratch or water drop is a memory. That scratch was boarding the plane to Paris. Or that water drop I got on the handle as I was leaving the theater in New York. My LV's have some marks and scratches (although I baby the heck out of my bags!!) I'd just leave the vachetta alone and carry my bag proudly. But, if you are too worried about vachetta, I'd get a Damier bag. Or Suhali, etc. Something other than bags with treated leather.

Soo. Don't kill me! :P

Also, if you are set on Vachetta, they're thousands of threads on vachetta protection. Early congrats, and welcome to tPF Kelly Marie! I'm sure your collection will grow! :yes: :smile:
:tup:

All the LV SA's that I've ever asked about this question told me not to spray my bag handles. I wonder why? Does anyone know?

good question, im going my bag on the 21st (payday!) so i'll ask. I went ahead and ordered a bottle of Shining Monkey just in case.

If anyones had a bad experience usiing SM, please stop me now before its too late!