My First Dye Project....Reveal

Butterfly0830

Jul 25, 2009
Okay, We had a snow storm this week-end, I was bored so I decided to dye my Gerard that I won on ebay. I have never dyed anything before. I used Fiebing's products. I used Fiebing's dye, Fiebing's deglazer, Fiebing's Leather sheen, dauber, tape, small paint brush, cotton pads, gloves and a mask.

Here is the deal....I wanted to dye it yellow. I thought the yellow dye may not cover well over the original tan color. I had some brown dye so I decided to do a mixture of the brown dye and the yellow dye. My intention was to do a rustic antique finish. It looks better IRL than the actual pictures IMO. So here is the finish results. I have taken pictures several pictures.

2zi60yx.jpg

10fu7hz.jpg

vxomlt.jpg

345h6i9.jpg

33yl0mv.jpg

23uwzv8.jpg

It came out beautifully! Impressive work, especially since this is your first dye--how long did it take you from start to finish? Now that you've got your first under your belt, would you dye another bag if the opportunity presented itself?

I love the way it turned out! So, did you mix the colors, or did you layer one over the other?

I didn't know you're in NC...so am I - snowed in in Raleigh...playing at tpf :smile:

Thanks Nutmeg, Kings, Vonvon, Oboogie, Voo, Odeb, Luvall, and Tejas. I was really nervous since I had never dyed anything before. Vonvon, I layered one over the over with my dauber. It took me all together about 4 hours. The worst part was deglazing, I had a hard time getting the original color finish off. Yes, I would definitely do another dye project, it was really fun. My daughter approved of the final results, and she is really picky. She told me that I have a tano with my own personal flavor. I guess you can say like Tejas it's one of a kind. I really do like it :smile:and thanks again for the kind words.

Von...I did not know you lived in Raleigh...I live in Durham, so we are neighbors. I hope you are enjoying your weekend...the snow is really pretty!

Thanks Tyger, Kings and Kmh. Kings....Yes, I layered the brown dye with a dauber, then I would layer the yellow dye...If you see around the buckles, which are darker, I tried to bring in a different tonal/antique finish...that is where I used just the brown dye more. I really was just experimenting with it...I had no idea how it would turn out, since this was my first dye project.

Wow, I'm always so impressed when people have the guts to do these dye projects, and Butterfly, you got great results. I love it - looks like a somewhat distressed caramel almost!